Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Allen Primary School

Options
  • 24-06-2008 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭

From around 1998 till 2002 I drive through Allen about twice a day. During that time I noticed that the Primary School (an old building) which may have been closed before my time, was closed and in time the site was occupied by traveler's, who during their period of tresspass and occupation wrecked the place. After this they were removed and the premises, which looked as though it dated back to the 1800's, was demolished.

That's life, ah well.

I was surprised, on driving through the Village on Sunday, to see that there is a new Primary School, on the other side of the road, but alas it's a prefab.

Has any locals got any history on this? Was anyone ever brought to court for the destruction of the old school, and why is the new prefab effort on a different site?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

The prefab in the church car park was part of the old school their is a new school building beside the prefab (next gate down), it was opened around that time before the old school closed. It has a new extension that was finished this year. I think the land for the new school may have belonged to the church and they decided it would be safer just to move the whole school over as the old building was falling apart, condemned maybe? and because it was dangerous for the children to cross the road to get to the sports field, church, prefab etc...

Advertisement