Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USA Roaming

• 24-06-2008 12:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭

Am going to New York soon (short hol), I've a Sony Ericsson K550i and am on O2. Will it work over there? Do i need to ask O2 to do something to my phone? It works ok in Europe.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Phone is triband so it'll work.
    I'm on vodafone and have had problems in US. Ask O2 who it is that they have agreement in the states (whose network you must choose)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Cingular work for O2 in the states. All O2 mobiles are setup for roaming unless you have asked otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭rhapsody

thanks guys :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Stokolan

If you log into your o2 online account there should be an option to turn roaming on or off in the extra services section.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 857 ✭✭✭whisht

Cingular/AT&T still use 850Mhz towers in the US, so if your phone was triband as biko said, and you were in an area where thats your only network, the K550i would not work, but the K550i is a quadband phone, so it will work fine in any area with coverage

• Advertisement

whisht- you have both unnerved me and reassured me! thanks :)

Hehe. Sorry. Didn't mean to unnerve you
    Could have just said yeah it will work, but put the rest in for anybody searching to find out if their phone will work in the US also.

Basically if your phone is triband, it might not work if you are in an area where ATT&T/Cingular are using an 850Mhz tower. This is very important because almost every phone shop I have ever visited continue to tell people, oh if its triband it will work no problem!!!!

You must have a quadband phone to work on all USA networks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Lainey-dee

Are you on O2 billpay or prepay?

If billpay, you can call Customer Care and ask them to add My Europe to your account. This is free and will give you cheaper roaming rates for calls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Lainey-dee wrote: »
    Are you on O2 billpay or prepay?

If billpay, you can call Customer Care and ask them to add My Europe to your account. This is free and will give you cheaper roaming rates for calls.
    This is true. Just make sure you remove the addon when you get home as it offers worse rates in Europe than the EU Roaming Rates (they had the My Europe addon out before the EU Roaming Rates came in and at the time it offered better rates than their standard ones). THe addon is now only useful for the US and one or two other countries.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭d-redser

Is the N95 a tri or quad band phone?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

d-redser wrote: »

AFAIK it's quad.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Make sure to ring O2 to confirm roaming is set up on your account before you travel as if you have an issue while abroad, they will not be able to fix it til you get back.

I had roaming in amsterdam, without asking for it, so I think thats ok, its just the American system is different...

I'm not billpay sadly, but only really want to use my phone for the odd text etc, so dont mind the cost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Lainey-dee

SDooM wrote: »
    Make sure to ring O2 to confirm roaming is set up on your account before you travel as if you have an issue while abroad, they will not be able to fix it til you get back.

It is possible to set up roaming while abroad. All you have to do is ring your network provider and they can provision you.

d-redser wrote: »

Its quad GSM but our version has the 2100Mhz European 3G band and the USA version has 850/1900 Mhz 3G, so our version will not work on 3G when on US networks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 529 ✭✭✭d-redser

whisht wrote: »
    Its quad GSM but our version has the 2100Mhz European 3G band and the USA version has 850/1900 Mhz 3G, so our version will not work on 3G when on US networks

so the phone wont work over in the US :rolleyes:

It will work ok but the 3G signal wont

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

Just to clarify for the untechy:

3G will not work in the USA. However, this would only be a concern if you were downloading from the Internet while away - not a wise practice anyway unless you are sure what you are doing. It will have no real noticable effect on your voice service and will not affect your SMS coverage in any way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 grandlike

o2's agreement used to be with AT&T, however its t-mobile now as far as I'm aware. Theres 2 things you need to be aware of when roaming with t mobile, firstly if you're in New York, you may not be able to dial back to Ireland using 00353 or +353, if this is the case, use 001 353.

The second this to keep in mind is that t-mobile advertise national coverage, similar to meteor, however they have an agreement with another network with whom their customers roam. This is where irish customers may encounter difficulties, as they are roaming...twice... if you get me. An example is o2 customers, roaming with t mobile in south carolina In this state, t-mobile have an agreement with AT&T here, so o2 customers may have difficulty in making and receiving calls.

Sorry for ranting on here... got carried away! :D

Just to let people know, in case anyones looking again, my phone (Sony Ericsson K550i on 02 network) did work for calls & texts in New York. I think it switched over to At&T. I didn't try connecting to internet. Thanks for info all :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement