Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop DJs, which external controller?

• 24-06-2008 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Ive a gericom laptop I got out of aldi 4 years ago. XP, 15" screen, I use Traktor 2. Still the dogs, never let me down although the lappie is starting to slow up a bit now on boot.

Im thinking of getting an external controller (as opposed to just an external sound card like the indigo), so looking for recommendations.

Im aware of the BCD 2000 and 3000, hercules, m-audio torq

Any reason to go for one of these over another? Will be gigged most weeks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

i have the bcd 3000 and its grand for bedroom and house party use, but i wouldnt think it really suitable for anything better

get your hands on two of these

http://www.htfr.com/more-info/MR218287

meant to be very good from any reviews i have read.

im waitin for the new newmark controller personally

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭brousuka

thumpybum wrote: »
    Ive a gericom laptop I got out of aldi 4 years ago. XP, 15" screen, I use Traktor 2. Still the dogs, never let me down although the lappie is starting to slow up a bit now on boot.

Im thinking of getting an external controller (as opposed to just an external sound card like the indigo), so looking for recommendations.

What does an external controller like this actually do? I have virtual DJ pro and just connect the headphone-out jack directly into a 2way powered speaker, BTW I know this is NOT the way to do things but I only do a couple of private gigs a year but want to learn more and gig more, am currently looking at amps and mixers and USB sound card but I'm a bit confused by it all, any advice would help, Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,471 ✭✭✭highlydebased

You should at least be running a mixer into the speakers and your laptop into that

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭thumpybum

theres 3 problems with using the headphone out slot,
    1. You cant cue with your DJ software alone (only with laptop and decks)
    2. You get onboard system sounds coming out over your mix
    3. Its not of a (in laymans terms) sufficient sound standard.

Your first step up with be an external sound card, either pcmcia slot or USB, like the Echo indigo DJ card. Purpose built sound cards have more then one out so you can cue by assigning the channels in your softwares config, e.g main out to left, headphone to right.

You could use any USB sound device but better to go for purpose built DJ ones as theres a lot of support and help online.

The external controllers are different fish kettles. Your DJ software can be mapped via midi to the controls allowing you to cue, mix, scratch, loop etc like normal desks with the songs that are cued in your virtual decks. Get on to youtube, enter BCD 3000 for example, and watch the demo vids of the guys playing with the various kit. As you'll see, the guys arent doing too much more then what you can do with the software, but you can get a lot more control as youre using your hands and fingers rather then a mouse.

As alluded to though, maybe fit for only bedroom, house party type scenarios, you wont be doing much scratching or looping at a wedding/21st (or maybe you will :) ).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭DJ_Spider

You could go for one of these! http://www.pcdj.co.uk/shop/item.php?id=37 or if you want a all in one controller this is good http://www.pcdj.co.uk/shop/item.php?id=137 Or if you win the lotto tomorrow get a shiny thing!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭thesoulfulldude

numark cue is extreamly good for the price alto it doesnt have a headphone output you need another part for all that, thats an extra 100squid! but honestly it does everthing ya want it to, also if you have vdj pro as you said you do you can re-map the controls and dowload plugins ect.... ive only had it a month but i cant stop using it! :D

http://www.numark.com/totalcontrol

you would also need this

http://www.numark.com/djio

numark cue is extreamly good for the price alto it doesnt have a headphone output you need another part for all that, thats an extra 100squid!

Just wondering why they would develop a product called "Total control" and then ship it without headphone outs? Is that not more like "Nearly Total control" :p

i know i know i didnt realise till i got it! but the idea is that it controls the music i guess there just looking for other ways to make more money from you!

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭brousuka

Thanks for the above advice - I think I'm getting there now. You know it's amazing how good you think you are (and others) when you first start out; equipment, audio quality etc. with crappy sub-standard budget stuff! it's only when you delve deeper and listen to you guys that you realise how naff and unprofessional I actually was! ah well got to start somewhere I guess. BTW what does anyone think of the prosound 600watt active speakers, and prosound in general?- selling in Maplin at the moment, are they a bit budget level? and, do ya find Maplin good? I tend to find it good for connectors, leads, peripherals, stands etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭MikeHoncho

Torq Xponent. Built in soundcard so all you have to do is plug it into the laptop and your away although I dont know how your laptop would hold up to the Torq software its a bit intensive. Have a look at the demo videos on www.torq-dj.com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

I also have the BCD3000 but to be honest I wouldn't recommend it for a future proof product..as said already it's grand for bedroom DJing but that's where it ends.

ha hope u wernt saying i was good, im rubbish! maplin are usually decent never bought dj stuff from there tho only computer stuff or gadgets

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭Smyth

I dj using a laptop and I would recommend the following.

vci-100 with a soundcard running traktor. I'd also recommend getting mixed in key for bpms and getting your harmonic mixes.

I've got a presonus firebox soundcard and it's brilliant. Haven't had any problems. the vci 100 is great and very sturdy - bcd's and xponents look like plastic toys.

You could wait and get the all in one vci-300. It'll come with an internal soundcard and serato itch, so all you'd need is a pair of headphones.

Don't bother with the ns7. It's overpriced and you'll look like a twat trying to fit it into any club booth.

I'd also recommend the sennheiser hd215 headphones. Under €100 and very good.

Hope that helps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Have been loking at final scratch from stanton for a while now. This will let you use use time-coded vinyl through your laptop but you still have the same feel as vinyl turntables and you can scratch etc.Been wanting to get it lately but just need to save up the spons

presonus firebox and vci 100

The presonus is firewire yeah? I looked at the vci before but if I went that route Id need the external as you say, I have an emu 1616 that I got for something else that would probably be overkill (and some) for the job but would work the same as the firebox.
    I was hoping for a 1 stop solution that didnt need the soundcard, sounds like the vci 300 would be the job, will take a look.

2 interesting products Ive come across are the native instruments Kontrol 1 and the tonium pacemaker which I had my eye on for a while. Quite pricey but look at the size of it. Check out the vids on youtube of the demos. anyone used one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,047 ✭✭✭demakinz

hi im a nubie dj just starting out..iv got cd decks amp speakers but im thinking of using my laptop.iv got virtual dj software but i have no idea what else i need to make the set up work.i would kindly like some advice guys?
    ps i am only gonna be doin 21st partys weddings etc at the mo so i wont be needing anything for mixing..just playing songs and trying to keep the floor full?

:(hope some of you can help me. thanks in advance guys:(

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I had the BCD300, fine for messing at home but don;t take it into a club. I now have the Torq Xponent. Miles better, fine for clubs.

Mate a piece of advice is if you are gigging with this, make sure you backup everything and do a clean install of XP. If your pc is running slow then IT will be the cause of a crash, not the software you are running. DO a clean install in adance and do not install any more sh1t on top of it...

• Registered Users Posts: 10 DecoJ

2 interesting products Ive come across are the native instruments Kontrol 1 and the tonium pacemaker which I had my eye on for a while. Quite pricey but look at the size of it. Check out the vids on youtube of the demos. anyone used one?

I'm new to the board, Hi all...

I bought one of the pacemakers last march. Was one of the first in the world to actually get one. It's been a huge disappointment up till now. The software on it was a joke and its spent 6 months on a shelf taunting me. However, they are bringing out a brand new firmware version soon and a pacemaker with a smaller Hard Drive - 60gb rather than the 120gb. Honestly, it is good fun and a good way to connect with your music - while travelling to work, college etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Zascar wrote: »
    I had the BCD300, fine for messing at home but don;t take it into a club. I now have the Torq Xponent. Miles better, fine for clubs.

Mate a piece of advice is if you are gigging with this, make sure you backup everything and do a clean install of XP. If your pc is running slow then IT will be the cause of a crash, not the software you are running. DO a clean install in adance and do not install any more sh1t on top of it...

the man speaks sense, and never ever ever connect your mixing laptop to the internet!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

the man speaks sense, and never ever ever connect your mixing pc laptop to the internet!
    fixed:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭xdeletiax

iv been using the hercules remix for the past few months and im pretty happy with it. works perfectly with vdj, has an internal soundcard and its pretty simple to use. its not perfect- fx buttons are crap, and it has some other minor faults, but it does exactly what i want it to.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I started off many years ago using the Hercules DJ Console.
    http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:29a0K1PiUrFvrM:http://www.mixxx.org/wiki/lib/exe/fetch.php/hardware:hercules_dj_console_mk2.jpg
    That new Hercules looks 10 times better and it a lot more solidly built - but its around the same price. Great for a beginner.

I have an Xponent and love it. Was playing at a party the other night and a friend of a friend who uses a Xone 3d which is a much pricier piece of kit asked if he could have a go. He was amazed at what the Xponent could do at such a reduced price. Great thing about it is if you dont like Torq it can be mapped to work in Traktor etc.

Intereting Mike! Yeah I have an Xponent too and love it. IMO its the best all in one solution around. I could not be arsed with a controller and experal soundcard. Laptop - Xponent - sorted.

Traktor pro looks savage - I did try to map my Xponent to it, but i gave up it was a pain in the ass. However a new map was launched the other day - apparently better: http://www.otto-armstrong.com/Mapping.html

I had a bit of a spin on Traktor on New Years eve and was really impressed. Dont think im gonna be shelling out €200 for it any time soon though. At least il have Torq 1.5 to keep me occupied for the time being.

True, but I'm still pissed that Torq are making you pay for an update in their software. Serato etc being out updates like this and don't charge for them...

I'm guessing you only got your Xponent recently? I have mine over a year so no free upgrade for me...

What is 1.5 like?

Havent actually downloaded it yet. Was planning on doing it tonight so il let you know how I get on.

Advertisement