Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First 4870 review....ATI are back..

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

Yes! If it performs this will in another few reviews I'm all over it! :)

Also Nvidia just got WTFOWNED in the neck Unless they pull some amazing CUDA apps out of the bag... But the ATI cards have more Floating Point power so they will win in GPGPU applications and Folding@Home too \o/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭great

dam i cant wait that long for the 4870x2.... want it now!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

They only advantage I see Nvidia having is in teh benching apps such as 3D mark. The 9800GTX+ rapes at when it comes to the CPU test, scoring more then twice a Intel extreme 9800 scores. Alot of people will take note of that and it will be a reason to get the 9800GTX+, added to the fact that it is slightly faster then the 4850.

EDIT: By the way I thought the 4870 was supposed to have a gig of ram no ??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

They only advantage I see Nvidia having is in teh benching apps such as 3D mark. The 9800GTX+ rapes at when it comes to the CPU test, scoring more then twice a Intel extreme 9800 scores. Alot of people will take note of that and it will be a reason to get the 9800GTX+, added to the fact that it is slightly faster then the 4850.

EDIT: By the way I thought the 4870 was supposed to have a gig of ram no ??

yeah Ati are letting the card distributors like his and sapphire overclock , aftermarket coolers , and decide ram quantities themselves , this is ddr5 memory and the 1gb version will be more expensive and be released shortly after the 512mb ones , i see no real reason for 1gb other than e-pens and a few games like crysis with 8xAA or oblivion , but with the new ddr5 it might not be as much as an issue with the bandwidth constraints of the ddr3 memory

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

meh , not much to jump up and down about here, so it matches the gtx260, big deal, I was hoping for a lot better, whos that ATI fanboy you quoted in your first post papu

• Advertisement

MooseJam wrote: »
    meh , not much to jump up and down about here, so it matches the gtx260, big deal, I was hoping for a lot better, whos that ATI fanboy you quoted in your first post papu

oh i see so matching a card thats 150 euros more and doing that when your a development cycle behind is nothing much? its double the performance of the 3870... come one...

some guy on xtremesystems who put the whole prices thing in perspective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Defo gettin one of these in a week and adding a second in 2 months

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭WEST

ts all about the price\performance ratio and if the above review holds true the 4870 is something to get excited about.

WEST wrote: »
    ts all about the price\performance ratio and if the above review holds true the 4870 is something to get excited about.

very very true greater performance than a 400 euro card , for a 250 euro price tag , whats not to get exceited about? not to mention crossfire!

is 250 definately going to be the price of this

• Advertisement

is 250 definately going to be the price of this
    its been cropping up at about 250 euros a polish shop has them listed for 228euros and a eshop in the netherlands are touting a club3d version 512Gddr5 for 260 euros .
    it's not out yet but thats the price point its looking to hit , it might be gouged a little for the first few weeks but im sure some faithful shops will keep the recommended price. for the 1gig version im sure you can add 80 or 100 euros onto that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Great. Sold my crossfire mobo for a Sli one and this happens.

Will be interesting to see what 4870X2 can offer.

Great. Sold my crossfire mobo for a Sli one and this happens.

Will be interesting to see what 4870X2 can offer.

well 1 4870 is about 15% off the 280
    so 4870X2 is going to be an ANIMAL

also NV wont be able to get a dual core card out unless they stick two new 55nm 9800+'s or get the 280's down to 55nm process
    with a billion transistors and huge power draw its going to be hard , the 4870X2 is known as the r700? and has 2xr770xt cores
    more info about it here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Hmm, I'm thinking I might dipp into my college funds for the 4870 , this coming winter ( actually might try and catch one on the new year sales ) or maybe a X2 if they are out then and cheap enough.

I'm using an x1800gto atm :D .

• Legal Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 5,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Maximilian

I would have thought there's plenty to jump up and down about. Nvidia will have to try and beat this. Competition pays off for all of us in the end. I have an ATI card but I don't want either company to ever dominate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭conceited

I see alot of nvidia fan boys on this site and i'm sure they will welcome a change it's good for everyone like you said.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

The item to note in the slides however is crossfire/sli comparisons though - in a lot of games 2x8800GT @ €220 beats the 4870 @250. The only problem there is you have to rely on buggy Nvidia chipsets...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Tony Broke

I cancelled the HD4850 I ordered with Pixmania and ordered

HD4870 €241

http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/1344930/art/sapphire-technology/radeon-hd-4870-512-mo-gdd.html

E8400 €155

http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/728359/art/intel/core-2-duo-e8400-3-ghz-6.html

G-Skill pc 6400 CL4 2gb €43

http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/729891/art/g-skill/pc2-6400-cl4-2-x-1-gb-ddr.html

All for under the price of one GTX280 :D

Should be a nice step up over

E2160 oc 3.0ghz
    2gb OCZ
    7600gt OC
    Giga P31 DS3L

?

22" Samsung and 42" 1080p which I hope to get in at the end of the summer..

Tony Broke wrote: »
    I cancelled the HD4850 I ordered with Pixmania and ordered

HD4870 €241

http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/1344930/art/sapphire-technology/radeon-hd-4870-512-mo-gdd.html

E8400 €155

http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/728359/art/intel/core-2-duo-e8400-3-ghz-6.html

G-Skill pc 6400 CL4 2gb €43

http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/729891/art/g-skill/pc2-6400-cl4-2-x-1-gb-ddr.html

All for under the price of one GTX280 :D

Should be a nice step up over

E2160 oc 3.0ghz
    2gb OCZ
    7600gt OC
    Giga P31 DS3L

?

22" Samsung and 42" 1080p which I hope to get in at the end of the summer..

Awesome!! enjoy

Thanks man, only thing thats worrying me is my mobo might need a bios update and I may have to reinstall Vista :eek:

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Products/Motherboard/Products_Overview.aspx?ProductID=2615

• Advertisement

What does this mean, are ATI's cards soundcards too :confused:

"All of AMD's Radeon HD graphics cards have shipped with their own audio codec, but the Radeon HD 4800 series of cards finally adds support for 8-channel LPCM output over HDMI. This is a huge deal for HTPC enthusiasts because now you can output 8-channel audio over HDMI in a motherboard agnostic solution. We still don't have support for bitstreaming TrueHD/DTS-HD MA and most likely won't anytime this year from a GPU alone, but there are some other solutions in the works for 2008."

What does this mean, are ATI's cards soundcards too :confused:

"All of AMD's Radeon HD graphics cards have shipped with their own audio codec, but the Radeon HD 4800 series of cards finally adds support for 8-channel LPCM output over HDMI. This is a huge deal for HTPC enthusiasts because now you can output 8-channel audio over HDMI in a motherboard agnostic solution. We still don't have support for bitstreaming TrueHD/DTS-HD MA and most likely won't anytime this year from a GPU alone, but there are some other solutions in the works for 2008."

all ati cards from the 2900 onwards have s sound chip on board which lets then transfer sound and video over Hdmi , cards usually ship with a special DVI>HDMI adapter to allow this , its perfect for HTPC's.

well just read the review of the HD 4870 on anandtech and it's very impressive it beats the gtx 260 and is very close to the 280, considering the price that is way cool - might force nvidia to drop prices

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

I'm torn. i really need a new card, i'm thinking either get a 8800gt to tide me over til the 4870x2 comes or just buy a 4870 now.

DanGerMus wrote: »
    I'm torn. i really need a new card, i'm thinking either get a 8800gt to tide me over til the 4870x2 comes or just buy a 4870 now.

thats a tough one , the 4870 is great now , and the 4870X2 could also be great , or it could be an expensive power hungry flop

i would go for a 4870 and a hr-03 to cool it
    i mean just look!palithd487084ii9.jpg

Get HD4850 144 euro and overclock to HD4870 level.

http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/1304949/art/sapphire-technology/radeon-hd-4850-512-mb-gdd.html

850Mhz on GPU and 1100 on Mem on air :eek:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=192411

Right so that decides it, thanks papu. i'll hold on the hr-03 for a while. Did i hear reapplying some decent TIM would help alot too. i have arctic silver and ceramique lying around.

Tony Broke wrote: »
    your still missing the deal maker , the gddr5 :D the 4850 is an awesome card runs faster than 9800's , but their a bit bandwidth limited and not as much grunt as the 4870

Right so that decides it, thanks papu. i'll hold on the hr-03 for a while. Did i hear reapplying some decent TIM would help alot too. i have arctic silver and ceramique lying around.

it does on the stock cooler helped one person about about 10* so theres no harm putting on some decent goo :D

• Advertisement

Thanks Tony but in the first post he says water cooling is a must and he also seems to have upped voltages somehow, either way 4850+watercooling=>Eruo than 4870 alone.

Well just ordered off pixmania. Price isn't all that bad @ E254.90. Looking at that chart papu i'll deffo consider the Hr-03, in fact if pixmania sold em i would have got it now. I'll try the tim change first, silver or ceramic you think?

Advertisement