Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First 4870 review....ATI are back..

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭DanGerMus

Paps you're the devil, i just ordered a hr-03 gt too. :(:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

DanGerMus wrote: »
    Paps you're the devil, i just ordered a hr-03 gt too. :(:)

where did ya pick that up from?
    lucky bugger

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭conceited

From www.performance-pcs.com american site e51 altogether. Probably same as i'd pay here but i've used them before and they seem to make it here faster than english and german sites that i've used.
    conceited wrote: »

Yes. But so is my entire pc, what's your point. :)

From www.performance-pcs.com american site e51 altogether. Probably same as i'd pay here but i've used them before and they seem to make it here faster than english and german sites that i've used.

Yes. But so is my entire pc, what's your point. :)

lol waste of money i think not... awesome il order a hr-03 and some sleeving and maybe a hr-03 for my old 2900XT

• Advertisement

that thing only adds to the bling factor , temps are allowed to be th at high it's normal.

adds to the bling factor

And if thats not enough reason it also helps keep the components cooler which never minding increased over clocking potential lenghtens the life of the card. This is important to me as i'm not a constant upgrader and will hold on to this card for anything up to 2 years. Then of course you have the quietness aspect which i've gone to some lengths buying a p180 and low noise orientated water-cooling and modding the fan on my psu along with other low noise Case Fans to the point where my Hard drives are the loudest thing in my case. Seeing as reports are saying the stock cooler is quite loud i'd like to minimise it as much as possible.

But you're right Bling factor alone would be enough for me. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I've decided to get a 4870 now and add a 4870X2 when they're available,You can Tri crossfire with ATI as long as they're based on the same card.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    I've decided to get a 4870 now and add a 4870X2 when they're available,You can Tri crossfire with ATI as long as they're based on the same card.

NFW. I was afraid of getting tinges of "the buyers remorse" but that's just made me feel emensely satisfied with my purchase. Good on ATI and keeping the options open. Don't know if i'll need it really but it's nice to know you can eh.

And if thats not enough reason it also helps keep the components cooler which never minding increased over clocking potential lenghtens the life of the card. This is important to me as i'm not a constant upgrader and will hold on to this card for anything up to 2 years.

Chips are ment to work at those temps and overlocking for 50mhz wow amazing. What will you get from that besides spending more money on parts you don't need to cool in the first place.A valid reason is noise that i can understand.

• Advertisement

DFI LANparty UT X48-T2R

Just stumbled accross this board for just such a setup but it also offers the option of a third card for physics, 3pciex16 slots with x16x16x4 lanes, looks mental.

Chips are ment to work at those temps and overlocking for 50mhz wow amazing. What will you get from that besides spending more money on parts you don't need to cool in the first place.A valid reason is noise that i can understand.

I agree entirely with you man my main reason despite earlier posts is the noise issue. I've read that they can be a bit hooverish.
    But just to rephrase your point the chips design allows them to work in those temperatures. They will function better at lower temperatures in terms of stability and longevity. An engine will turn over without coolant but not for very long. I remember reading about a few x1900 owners being pretty miffed at there cards crapping out after fairly short terms because they were notoriously hot runners. And the were also specced to run at 100+.

just one bit of advice , do not overclock them just yet , theres been the sudden death of maybe a dozen cards on XS , some due to Bios flashing , and others for trying to se the Fan speed , and software overclock , just be warned , little is known of the new Gddr5 and how it reacts to the old ways of overlocking....

Who has a 4870 and where did you get it from. Mine is still showing as being processed for shipping. ordered last thursday from pixmania. I reckon they're lieing about them being in stock. What you guys think?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Supposed leak of the 4870x2

http://www.hardocp.com/image.html?image=MTIxNDg0MTg3MDB4Z29ZeW9JV2hfMV8xX2wuanBn

Have they completely stopped branding the cards as ATI now?? I see it says AMD close to the pins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

Who has a 4870 and where did you get it from. Mine is still showing as being processed for shipping. ordered last thursday from pixmania. I reckon they're lieing about them being in stock. What you guys think?

Im the same, I ordered on Thursday and its being processed as well.

I ordered a 750gb samsung spinpoint with the 4870 and it arrived today, something going on alright.

if pixmania were displaying unstocked items as being stocked thats just bad business... mind you if they got soo many orders they may be swamped..

Well if it's a backlog they've no excuse for showing it as in stock.If it's shown as in stock on any other site it means there is one sitting there for you when you order. A lot of sites tell you how many are in stock or say there are 10+ 20+ etc.

Anyway i tried to cancel it today and now it is being shown as shipped. I'll believe it when i see it. I dont like the way these guys operate they don't give you a simple means to cancel your order before it's shipped either. If you want to cancel something once it's 'being processed' you cant! you have to wait for it to be delivered and then refuse it at your door. From their FAQ if you send something back they'll only refund you to your pix piggy bank. Then there's the whole zen sh1te which again isn't made obvious that you can or how you choose not to use it. 10% for services they are legally abliged to provide you with anyway.

I didn't like pixmania before and only ordered as they showed as in stock. That'll learn me for being impatient. Could have got it elsewhere for less and just waited.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

10% for services they are legally abliged to provide you with anyway.

http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/our-services/11-univers.html?itag=12314

What part of that are they legally obliged to provide?

Ok part 1 is kinda pointless if you shop around before hand but they are by no means legally obliged to provide that.

Part 2 - Neither are they legally obliged to provide this. If the product breaks down on the last day of the warranty you wouldn't be entitled to a refund, you would be entitled to a repair.

Part 3 - Not obliged to do this under law either.

Part 4 - Not entitled to this under law either.

http://www.pixmania.com/ie/uk/our-services/11-univers.html?itag=12314

What part of that are they legally obliged to provide?

Ok part 1 is kinda pointless if you shop around before hand but they are by no means legally obliged to provide that.

Part 2 - Neither are they legally obliged to provide this. If the product breaks down on the last day of the warranty you wouldn't be entitled to a refund, you would be entitled to a repair.

Part 3 - Not obliged to do this under law either.

Part 4 - Not entitled to this under law either.

also had problems with this today ordering a scanner , 10% my boss was livid , had to click the Show me more button , then down at the button is cancel the subscription , very well hidden ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

papu wrote: »
    also had problems with this today ordering a scanner , 10% my boss was livid , had to click the Show me more button , then down at the button is cancel the subscription , very well hidden ;)
    Shít like that is definitely not on. Does it actually itemise that seperately in your basket or do they just increase the price of the item by 10%?

Fair point AC was on a bit of a rant there.
    What is should have said was 10% for services that are considered industry standard/norm or if you read the fine print are in reality worthless to you.
    25% off "selected" accessories.
    I'll give em price matching (very gracious of me eh.)
    They've got themselves pretty sell covered on the trade in thing too as they 'must' include all original accs and packaging. Probably not goin to have that after a few days nvr mind a year.

But the final nail for me is all, yes all, money back and refund will be into your pix piggy bank only!

Papu, yeah i figured it out alright but most wouldn't and they know it.
    I'ts like those please tick here if you 'Dont' want sales calls emails and flyers coming out our ears from now on things. The default should be don't.

apologies AC for draggin this totally off topic maybe move to the retailer discussion thread?
    Shít like that is definitely not on. Does it actually itemise that seperately in your basket or do they just increase the price of the item by 10%?

They just add it to the basket. They show it as an item below our order but you can't remove it or zero it and refresh you have to click on it and read the terms and conditions and at the bottom of that it give you the option to cancel. Now ask yourself who really reads the TandC?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Anyone got their 4870 from Pixmania yet or are the orders still been shown as in Process.

Mine's showing as ready to be sent since yesterday evening. I suspect they did that just to appease me as i requested a cancelation of the order. If it were really ready you'd expect it to have been sent this morning but it wasn't.

Tossers. I had something similar happen me in December. Turned out what was showing in processing for over a week was due to them having no stock. Hope it's not the same. Was able to get a refund handy enough though as I went through their ebay store and got paypal involved. They even offered me vouchers to remove the negative feedback !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I ordered, along with other bits a HD4870 last thursday from hardwareversand.de, it wasn't in stock but was stated as expected to come in2 stock on 2/7. I prepaid through the bank for the value of €235.00 which they recieved on fri. On sat i got an email from them
    The expected date for the delivery of the ordered article (HV1024DFDE) 'Club3D HD4870 512MB, ATI Radeon HD4870, PCI-Express' is the 03.07.2008.
    We will deliver the article immediately after arrival.
    Today the price dropped to €214.09, a whole €20 cheaper. I've now emailed them asking for a refund of the difference or for some compensation for the drop in price since it wasn't in stock. We'll see how I get on, i'll keep ye posted. Be interesting

For those of you who have orders outstanding with Pixmania, 1 person on this thread rang them today and they have no solid date on delivery, despite the fact they say they have stock. Liars, pure and simple.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    I ordered, along with other bits a HD4870 last thursday from hardwareversand.de, it wasn't in stock but was stated as expected to come in2 stock on 2/7. I prepaid through the bank for the value of €235.00 which they recieved on fri. On sat i got an email from them

Today the price dropped to €214.09, a whole €20 cheaper. I've now emailed them asking for a refund of the difference or for some compensation for the drop in price since it wasn't in stock. We'll see how I get on, i'll keep ye posted. Be interesting

they should refund you , that happened to me ages ago with my GFX and they refunded me to my bank account.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

I am the user Flaccus is referring to, I rang them this morning about why they shipped the samsung hard drive I placed with the order for a HD4870, but not the HD4870.

The hard drive arrived yesterday and the guy on the phone wouldnt give me a reason on why the card wasnt shipped, despite it being on stock on the website,

He wouldnt/couldnt give me an exact date on when its going to be shipped.If I had to guess I would say a week or two.I cancelled the order, going to wait for prices drops on the Nvidia 2xx series ( should be this week ) and maybe 4870x2 if I can wait that long.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭MooseJam

4870*2 would kick ass, pity my board only does sli

Advertisement