Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Local Electoral Area Review

• 24-06-2008 1:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭

Changes have been proposed relatively recently by the Electoral Area Boundary Committee which will potentially greatly affect the political makeup of several Waterford County constituencies.

Tramore has gained a seat in the County Council, increasing its total from six to seven. Dungarvan has lost a seat on the same council. This is reflective of recent population changes, which have left the Tramore electoral area with a greater number of constituents than Dungarvan.

Tramore's six representatives to the Council - Cllrs Power, O'Sullivan, Cowman, O'Callaghan, Carey and Daly - will not have to work as hard to retain their seats, and another seat will open up for a newbie.

Will this affect political interest in the area at all? What are people's reactions to this generally?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Should make for an interesting local elections campaign next time out! It has been interesting to see the visibility or lack thereof of our local elected representatives since the last election.

A quick glance at the attendences at Tramore Town Council for 2007 shows one counciller Ben Gavin attended just one of seven meetings all year. One of the newest members Raymond Hayden missed 3 of 7 meetings. Surely that is unacceptable!

They'll all be knocking on our doors telling us what great people we are and what great jobs they are doing soon!

Ah for the days of Betty Twomey and Maureen O Carroll!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Think I might throw my own name into the hat? Do they get paid anything?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭Jim_Are_Great

Only travel expenses and a few perks like laptops. There's no money to be made as an (honest) county councillor.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

There are some active councillors as you will note in the town council meetings. Iv no idea why Ben hasnt been showing up. There are those who attend, but say very little.

I know who my votes going for in the next elections anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,502 ✭✭✭✭Victor

City and County councillors get a modest salary and expenses. I think town councillors only get expenses.

• Advertisement

Sully wrote: »

I know who my votes going for in the next elections anyway.

Already? There's a fair number of new candidates threatening to throw their hats into the ring.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Already? There's a fair number of new candidates threatening to throw their hats into the ring.

I meant in terms of who id vote for in the current electorate. Im all ears for new people, but when it comes to the old people I will probably vote for some (certinaly not all).

I'm with you on that one. Although based on the new candidates I've heard of, I know for a fact that I won't be voting for any of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,274 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

I'm with you on that one. Although based on the new candidates I've heard of, I know for a fact that I won't be voting for any of them.
    Who are they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

I would think attendance at meetings is a crucial part of their remit. If they can't be bothered to turn up to meetings how can they be doing anything else.

And I suppose people will argue that they could be doing it quietly behind the scenes but Irish politics is all about perception and being seen. That's why there is so much baby kissing, handshaking and other photo ops.

That's why the monthly meeting is a huge forum where any councillor is seen to be doing his or her job!

• Advertisement

Who are they?
    I'm not sure if I should say. There may be some sort of formal announcement procedure that I wouldn't like to mess with.
    scout353 wrote: »
    I would think attendance at meetings is a crucial part of their remit. If they can't be bothered to turn up to meetings how can they be doing anything else.

I would be inclined to agree. While a councillor's work is not all done at meetings, votes and debates on important issues as well as public statements via the press all take place at meetings. Surely attending meetings is the least a truly proactive councillor can do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

I'm not sure if I should say. There may be some sort of formal announcement procedure that I wouldn't like to mess with.

I'd be interested to hear about this as I haven't heard anything yet. With twelve months to go, you'd imagine they'd want to start launching in the next few months?

Anyway, I don't think mentioning what's esssentially a rumour on Boards can interfere with any formal procedure. It could actually help people, because they could keep an eye on those people in the meantime.

nkay1985 wrote: »
    I'd be interested to hear about this as I haven't heard anything yet. With twelve months to go, you'd imagine they'd want to start launching in the next few months?

Anyway, I don't think mentioning what's esssentially a rumour on Boards can interfere with any formal procedure. It could actually help people, because they could keep an eye on those people in the meantime.

I'm not going to say anything until it's well and truly in the public domain. I know for certain that both Fine Gael and Fianna Fáil have at least two new candiates each. It looks like there'll be at least one green we haven't seen before. If it was me announcing my candidacy, I'd want to be the one to do it, so I'll refrain until official announcements take place. This almost always happens after the summer. Labour have already announced their candidates. It's the usual lot - O'Callaghan, Kyne, Ryan, O'Ceilleachair and the rest of the usual suspects.

Iv been at a few of the council meetings and spoke at one. There are regulars who I have faith in, and those who I wouldnt have faith in. Iv learned a lot about local politics in the last year and some of which disgusts me so much I loose faith in the council completely.

Some important issues are discussed at meetings, and I do think all should be present. It should be a requirement.

Interesting. While it's technically not a requirement at the moment, I think if someone wants to retain their seat, it effectively is a requirement. People are very reluctant to vote for cadidates once they hear they haven't been showing up for meetings.

Interesting. While it's technically not a requirement at the moment, I think if someone wants to retain their seat, it effectively is a requirement. People are very reluctant to vote for cadidates once they hear they haven't been showing up for meetings.

Indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Is there a record of attendances to Waterford City Concil available to the public?

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Is there a record of attendances to Waterford City Concil available to the public?

Absences from city council meetings are noted in the minutes of the meetings, which can be requested here.
    The same facility for county council is here, and the various town council minutes are available on the menu panel on the left of that same page.

Those are not updated as often as they should be, though.

Advertisement