Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a Wifi Qwerty PDa or Phone for Travelling

• 24-06-2008 2:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭

Just wondering if anyone can recommend a phone/pda for checking internet / emails whilst travelling...looking for something with a qwerty keyboard, wifi and must reasonably priced...any ideas lads?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

HTC Tytn II is a good candidate but the price, to some, may not be deemed as "reasonable".

I would also look at the Nokia E61i as a contender as once you get used to its width, it is really easy to use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭gerryk

HTC Touch, Palm Treo 700 - no wifi though :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭ollyk1

You could just go for a bluetooth keyboard and get an N95. I'm a fan of the TyTn II (and I use mine a lot!) but its a business smartphone.

I'd see the N95 as more of an entertainment/multimedia/casual user option and with a bluetooth full size keyboard you could sit down and write longer emails if necessary.

This really all comes down to price and how much you are willing to spend.

An alternative approach would be to explore the possibilities of buying a EEEpc 901 and tethering it to a phone with Internet access and getting a lot more computing bang for your buck.

Lots of options to be explored tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

Nokia N850

This is for the N810 but there is a N850 out and a N900 coming soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 587 ✭✭✭richieg

Asus EEEPC and get a regular phone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

+1 for Eee pc.
    E61/E61i - less than 200 on ebay/adverts. Lovely keyboard, wifi, 3G plus all that Nokia goodness.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭Rags

The Tytn II is a great phone, best phone I have had so far, has pretty much everything bar a vga screen. Alto its not cheap. I have mine for sale but then I thought it was going to be hard to replace the phone as there wasnt much better out there.

Probably is better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭CivilEx

retenzo wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone can recommend a phone/pda for checking internet / emails whilst travelling...looking for something with a qwerty keyboard, wifi and must reasonably priced...any ideas lads?
    This thread has gone a little quiet, but I have been using a HP iPAQ 514 smartphone with a €20 (50 Mb) windows mobile add on from Vodafone for about 8 months. It has wifi, push e-mail, outlook / calendar and Windows Mobile 6....but no qwerty keyboard:(..the laptop tethering is simple to use and is not spoiled on price at €186 sim free http://www.expansys.ie/p.aspx?i=146093 . The main drawback is the use of the gprs network on Vodafone...slow...Overall a stable reliable phone / pda and while I am thinking of updating it to something with 3g, I would recommend it because of the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭OCD

retenzo wrote: »

The HTC s730 is a smaller windows mobile version (i.e. non touchscreen) of the Tytn II. I used one up until very recently and found it excellent. I just put mine up for sale as I got a work phone paid for me but would recommend it. Check it out on expansys.ie for specs but I'm pretty sure it has everything you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭mkennedy

There are plenty of wifi/qwerty/internet/email WM devices around.

There's obviously the latest and greatest mentioned sbove such as the Tytn II or HTC Raphael/Touch Pro, but you could always pick up something basic like the HP ipaq 6915.
    Admittedly it's a bit ancient but i'd say you'd get one for next to nothing nowadays.
    Has hardware qwerty, wifi, gps, internet and email.
    Bit on the heavy side though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭strecker

Assuming the op is still alive and well, and well, interested: what network are you on? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,682 ✭✭✭monty_python

N95 with a bluetooth key board and a bucket load of spare batterys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,427 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

tytyn II if money was no object got three on my desk (and cant use any of them myself) build quality much better than a few others i've seen esp. the mwg ones

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭flodis79

Nokia e71.. Latest e series phone, better keyboard than e61/i, built in gps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭retenzo

hi went for a ipaq hp hw6965 in the end... very bulky but does exaclty what I want! thanks for the suggestions

Advertisement