Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Direct download games

Options
  • 24-06-2008 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭

Is there a place where I can download Thief (Looking for the earlier games – only found '07 version on steam) and Baulders Gate II?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Unlikely legally.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

That's a shame – I hear such good things about them. There's always ebay, I suppose.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

http://www.eidosinteractive.com/downloads/search.html?gmid=34
    Seem to be able to download thief here for 20 dollars. Worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭grizzly

Great, has anyone had trouble getting it running in XP?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

You can buy a lot of the older games in the 'sold out' cases in game for like 5 euro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Ross_Mahon wrote: »
    You can buy a lot of the older games in the 'sold out' cases in game for like 5 euro.
    Yeah, I'd recommend trying these before buying online. They definitely have Thief and I think Thief 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭Jack Sheehan

Thief and Thief 2 are on a single DVD. I'd give it to you free if I was arsed, it's just been gathering dust here for months.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Thief 1+2 double pack Eur 6.99 on play.com

Might be worth checking Steam too, thought I saw one there a while ago.
    [edit: sorry, just read your original post properly, ignore the Steam comment!]

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

I'm looking for System Shock 2, anyone seen it in Galway or the like?

Would I need to play 1 first?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I'm pretty sure you can legally download System Shock 2. Highly recommended, great game. You dont need to play the first one at all.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,460 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Tried to play SS2 at one point and I hit a brick wall when trying to install it on XP. Very troublesome altogether - managed to get it running on an old PC after deleting in game cinematics and the like, but my current PC violently crashes after about 2 minutes of play, no matter how much messing about is done.
    As for downloading it, I think both SS games are in crazy legal limbo, but I'm pretty sure they aren't legally available. And little chance of finding it in a shop unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

You can get System Shock 1 here and System Shock 2 here. Don't think they're illegal to download, since the site I linked to "Home Of The Underdogs" is very careful not to host illegal material. That said, I don't even know if it's still there, since the site hasn't been updated since 2006.

You don't necessarily need to play SS1 to play SS2, but the story does carry on, so you should at least read the Wikipedia page on it, to get yourself up to speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I ran SS2 on XP. Beena while now so can't remember if I had to patch it in any way.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

I ran SS2 on XP. Beena while now so can't remember if I had to patch it in any way.

I borrowed it of a colleague a while ago and ran it on XP. There was a bit of messing around first, but a quick google and a few downloads sorted that out fairly quickly.
    In fact, it may have been through the links on the underdogs page that I got it working. Think there was one download to get it working, and a second to update the textures (although I may be confusing that with something else).

That reminds me, I never finished it, got distracted when Bioshock came out.
    Must go back to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭Pugsley

I found a second hand copy of Baldurs Gate Gold Edition (Baldurs Gate, expansion, BG2, and expansion), and am currently playing through Baldurs Gate 2, superb game. Used to have it years ago but lost the box somewhere along the line, the game hasnt aged a day, its still as interesting and refreshing to play now as it was over 7 years ago.

Advertisement