Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT-time limit?

Options
  • 24-06-2008 2:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Audi/A4/sport-130/1111674/

Was just wondering about the Audi at the link above, what would be the approx vrt for this? And also what would road tax be like? I'm a bit confused about what happens come July

Also, lets suppose for arguments sake i bought that car tomorrow morning- how long have i to register it, is there a time limit? and if i was driving it around on uk plates is it easy to change over my insurance. Would the insurance company (Quinn-Direct) have any problem with that?

Thanks guys...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,360 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Until the end of the month, it will cost 2500 roughly to vrt that car. After that im not sure as you would need to know the emissions figure for it but it would be reduced a bit.

Road tax will not be affected regardless of when its vrt'd. It will be same as any other 1.9 tdi (somewhere around 600 euro for a year) and will not change apart from a 9% rise which will effect all cars of that age and engine size.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

you have to reg it within 24hrs of imporation to the State. Some insurance companies will only give temp insurance on non-Irish cars now, too.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...brought home a 968 from UK yesterday, had the VRT4 form filled out from the intrawobblynet Revenue site (VRT4, btw....), had draft for the Yo-Yo's all made out, and the info from the quote from VRO Rosslare, and sent herself in today to clear the car, and here's what happened.........
    • Spent 2 hours queuing..........bit of a last minute rush on before J-Day......
    • Counter said quote no good, as it was more than 15 days old.......and they'd have to contact Rosslare - again ! - for a new one, and that can't be before tomorrow............so we have to go back
    • That's some impression, Gormless is making...........the queue wasn't all there reg-ing Priiiiii, that's for sure...........it was obvious on the Ferry home - all the 'cool' stuff was people bringing them home, all the 'ornery' stuff was........tourists !

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭darrenoneill33

What would be the story so with a car like the one in the link...it obviously wasn't registered within 24 hours of coming into ireland. Would this pose problems for the person buying it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Dirty_Diesel

^^^

Normally it's 24hrs to clear the car, but a registered garage with a TAN number can hold foreign cars without having to VRT them.

• Advertisement

if a person bought a car such as the one above and turned up at the VRT office would they not be asked why it had not been registered earlier?

what documents would you be required to produce?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

if a person bought a car such as the one above and turned up at the VRT office would they not be asked why it had not been registered earlier?

what documents would you be required to produce?

nope they will just take your money.
    you need the complete V5 form iirc, you will get that from the seller.

he takes a small section of it to post to the DVLA to tell them he sold it to a buyer from outside the state and it also clears him of any fines after the date of sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭beartooth

i've been driving my car on english plates for the last 6 month and i'm going to clear it next week. has anyone done this? were they quizzed about the length of time they have the car or asked to show an invoice for the car?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The VRT on that diesel A4 will actually be cheaper from next Tuesday so unless your buying now and locking it up until 1st July, I'd wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭mika27

beartooth wrote: »
    i've been driving my car on english plates for the last 6 month and i'm going to clear it next week. has anyone done this? were they quizzed about the length of time they have the car or asked to show an invoice for the car?

I know a few people that have done this and there haven't been any questions asked.

• Advertisement

beartooth wrote: »

and what about insurance over that period, was there any problems?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭Dirty_Diesel

I had a B5.5 PD130 Passat in the country for 7 months before I cleared it, Quinn direct never had a problem with it :D

I had a B5.5 PD130 Passat in the country for 7 months before I cleared it, Quinn direct never had a problem with it :D

so for that 7 months you basically had insurance only on the car windscreen yes? and no guard ever said anything?

Advertisement