Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

insurance confusion

Options
  • 24-06-2008 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

reawakening an old thread...

i insured myself on my brothers car while he was in london for a month and a half. and was paying 240 a month (1.4 civic, full licence, 18, with quin direct and rang up last friday to cancel me as the named driver on the car.

everything was fine, got removed. the guy said something about my bro getting a discount of 89e when he renews his policy (ending at the end of july). i didnt really pay much attention because it had nothing to do with me...

He checked his account over the weekend and the money (240 + his own) had been taken out of his account. So i rang up (hes still in england) and asked what the story was.

apparently i had to give 2 weeks notice to QuinnDirect to get off the policy without paying for it. 89e would be compensated to my brother. So im paying 160 euro for nothing. im not insured on the car, but theyre taking the money anyway. My brother would only get the 89e back if he renewed his policy at the end of july.

So i asked if i could just cancel the cancelation and was told no, but i could start a new one, which would result in basically the same thing (only costing 240 and getting something for my money rather than paying 160 for nothing) and that the 89e would be sent out in a check or returned to his bank account soon.... told them id ring them back later.

Rang back and was told i cant do that, that id have to pay the 160 and the 240 on top of that if i wanted to stay on til the end of the policy.

This doesnt seem fair or right to me. im 160e out of pocket which is alot for me as a student. And am not insured on the car either.

any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

new thread created, as resurrecting old ones isn't really the done thing around here :D

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭smur89

oops, sorry. thanks peasant

• Registered Users Posts: 23,360 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Tell your brother to get on to a manager. Its pretty bad service. tell them you werent made aware of the 2 weeks notice requirement when you cancelled and would obviosly not have taken yourself off the policy if you had known and say you will be moving companies if that is not sorted.

my brothers in england for another 2 weeks, though he comes back on weekends, he wont be able to call during pening hours for another two weeks..

would there be any point in me calling?
    when i was on the phone the first time she kept repeating herself saying "because youre not the account holder, i really shouldnt be discussing financial etails with you" (even though she didnt tell me the figures, i told her them and asked about them...)

I just got off the phone with my brothers, hes either gonna sort it out next week or he gave me all his info so that i can ring up and pretend to be him. gonna get onto a manager and he's cancelling his policy with quinn...

• Advertisement
Advertisement