Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Onkyo 606 or 875

• 24-06-2008 3:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

I'm on the verge of finally buying a new home theatre system but can't decide if going for the onkyo 875 is a better proposition over the 606 which is half the price of the 875 (which is due to be replaced by a newer model soon).

The 875 is more powerful and will upscale dvds to 1080p but is this worth spending €500 more than the 606 which by all accounts is an excellent amp. Has anyone got an opinion on these? While I'd rather put the €500 I'd save on buying the 606 against a new tv, I don't want to regret not buying the more powerful amp.:confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

The 905 - you know you want it :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭anthony4335

The 606 upscales all input components to 1080i ,so that should not be an issue. anyways if you are changing your entire system, you will most likely get a new dvd/Blu-ray player and this will do the upscaling for you so that should ne be the main factor. As for power I have the 605 and am very very happy with it. Use the spare 500 euro you will save on better speakers than you have bugeted for.

• Company Representative Posts: 9,470 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

Guys declared interest I'm John McDonald from Richer Sounds Ireland we have just done a deal with Onkyo to slash the price of the 875 to £649.95 and the 905 to £899 exclusively for Boardies - and at the moment we are also offering free shipping exclusively to boardies - at the moment we have both black and silver in stock but there are more silver than black......drop me a line to johnmc@richersounds.ie or via PM if you are interested - we are also setting up a commercial thread/forum with Boards over the next week so keep your eyes peeled for that as we will issue daily offers exclusive to boardies...

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭aaf

johnmc wrote: »
    Guys declared interest I'm John McDonald from Richer Sounds Ireland we have just done a deal with Onkyo to slash the price of the 875 to £649.95 and the 905 to £899 exclusively for Boardies - and at the moment we are also offering free shipping exclusively to boardies - at the moment we have both black and silver in stock but there are more silver than black......drop me a line to johnmc@richersounds.ie or via PM if you are interested - we are also setting up a commercial thread/forum with Boards over the next week so keep your eyes peeled for that as we will issue daily offers exclusive to boardies...
    :eek:The 905 down to £899! Fantastic price. Bought mine from you guys for £1300 last Autumn. Fantastic amp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

I ordered the 875 yesterday from Richersounds, and it was delivered this morning. Can't wait to get home and set it up. Lucky me who lives in a detached house otherwise the neighbours would sue :D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭johnnyflav

Hey Prosperous,

Just joined you in the 875 owners club. After many months of oogling a new amp, I finally took the plunge (cheers richersounds and johnmc :D). Spent the last three hours installing, calibrating and setting up, great craic. Had a quick blast of TrueHD and DTS HD MA, stonking sound from them.

Only looks like I'll have to relocate the yoke now for better ventilation, people weren't lying when they said it gets hot!!

Looking forward to a couple of flicks up on the big screen this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

My 705 does get a little hot BUT not 'too' hot like what some have said even when driven. Put it this way, I have never heard the cooling fans powering up and I can hold my hand on top of the amp even after a few HRs use.

Still as long as you have good air flow you should be fine.

Edit: 875 has a lot more output power than the 705, maybe thats why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 324 ✭✭johnnyflav

I had to move it out of my AV stand all together to get it properly cooled. It's sitting all on its lonesome now, perched on top of the amp it replaces it to stop it getting scuffed by the inevitable hoover/toe etc.

Was giving it a good work out over the weekend but I'm a little confused by my settings from DTS HD MA. I've got Pans Labyrinth on Blu Ray which is supposed to be 7.1 surround but the PS3 is only ouputting 5.1 LPCM. I have the playstation set to output PCM not bitstream...

Would like to make use of all my speakers if possible. Has anyone here had any luck with getting 7.1 HD audio?

Advertisement