Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Long Distance Radio Reception

• 24-06-2008 3:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭

Recently during an athmospheric high, I was scanning through the radio stations and I picked up Midlands 103. I figured it would only last for a brief bit before dying out as the weather got worse again. But the reception has been constant with RDS, the name comes up on the display every time.

Anyone else have odd curiosities like this?
    Anyone in Tullamore picking up WLR or Beat?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I had a weird one which I posted about, on 94.8 - its the home of Classic FM on NTLs cable radio service but I was picking up some Spanish station on the cable last summer. Spanish radio comes in quite a bit on the south coast if the high pressure is in the right place.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭More Music

Radio Kerry on the promenade in Salthill Galway last summer!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Phantom and FM104 in Mayo and Sligo a couple of summers back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,344 ✭✭✭NUTLEY BOY

It's all down to tropospherical ducting !

I got a clear signal one day from Liverpool Coastguard on marine VHF in Killiney Bay.

I also got BBC Radio 4 & Radio 5 on DAB in Mount Merrion early this year during a high. I locked them in. A week later on the same spot and there was no signal to be detected.

Night effect is another great one for medium wave radio reception from afar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

BBC1-4 and classic come in here at times

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

Back before Midlands 103 started up, there used to be a pirate station in Mullingar called Radio West. They used to boast that you could pick up their station on Grafton Street - it was true by the way. Anyway, a lot of the people behind Radio West were involved in Midlands 103 when it got the license back in the day. I don't know about now. I can pick up Beat in the midlands but just about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,559 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

NUTLEY BOY wrote: »
    It's all down to tropospherical ducting !
    Or 'Skip' as we used to call it back in the day. I remember during the summer in the 80's on the CB you'd get Spanish CBs blasting in on a 9.

I'd not sure of the science, but basically it was the same principle as skimming a stone across water; the radio waves would bounce around the globe from upper-atmosphere back to the ground and up again.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Tropospheric ducting

basically:
    tropo_ducting.jpg

PS, Liverpool CG is nothing special, Clyde CG in Dublin Bay is good going, but I once heard 'Las Palmas Pilots' being called by a ship when we were about 3000 miles south of that!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Heathen

Or 'Skip' as we used to call it back in the day. I remember during the summer in the 80's on the CB you'd get Spanish CBs blasting in on a 9.

I'd not sure of the science, but basically it was the same principle as skimming a stone across water; the radio waves would bounce around the globe from upper-atmosphere back to the ground and up again.

good old skip... i once spoke to a lad in Cincinnati Ohio on the upper side bands, had a good 5 - 10 minutes of crystal clear communication before it fizzled out.. used t be great when there was sporadic highs..

i get a lot of european radio stations at night on the am band in the car. one or two spannsh ones are very very clear

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭barnicles

Sometimes i hear germans on FM. Ich heiße Barnicles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

Driving Lorries all over Europe over the years got me plenty of Long range stations.

In Poland ,400 miles past Berlin, Radio Ulster clearly, late at night.

For years while travelling west to east,night time along the Osnabruk Amsterdam motorway ,both rte on 567 and radio ulster on 1341,clearly.

In the eighties, Capital Radio, below Lyon in France,but not receivable above Lyon untill nearly in the UK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

rugbyman wrote: »
    In the eighties, Capital Radio, below Lyon in France,but not receivable above Lyon untill nearly in the UK.

Yes Capital Gold on 1548 got it in Spain and Morocco amazing when you think there are quite a few UK stations on 1548 but Capital Gold always came through.

Used to listen to Fivelive at night in Morocco alot.

For the long distance stuff you need patience.

I remember listening to DLR Dun Laoire on 6220 SW on my ICF 7600D in a tent in Switzerland.

Advertisement