Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

the new guy at work

Options
  • 24-06-2008 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

right i started a new job about 2 months ago.....

i was just out of college out of a 4 year degree in film and tv production and my lecturer helped me get this job in big projectors...

anyway the first month was grand... because of my background the other techs were asking me questions about the kit that they dont really use ( like signals, cameras and stuff like that)
    now two weeks ago there was a bit of a **** up where we had to change cables very quick and the other tech was very slow with what was going on.. so the first projector i change the setting so it will work and got it working then went over the the other projector to get that one working.. now i found out what was wrong straight away ( cable was in the wrong connection) so i go to change it but was told no dont touch it.. so i leave it for a minute while he is on the radio to our manager talking over what connection it should be in...

so to cut it short i knew what was wrong could of fixed it in 10 seconds but they left it without picture for a minute...

now ever sense then the other tech is very bitchy wont let me do anything at the next gig i said id go off and sort out the feed that they are going to give us and said "no... you dont go off to talk to them you come with me." ( good thing i knew the guy so he just ended up talking to me not the other tech)

anyway what i want to know is this guy feeling threatened by me being there? is he worried that i might take over his job?
    he seems to be getting more and more angry with me...
    to be honest im thinking is this the job for me the hours are long and well to be honest the pay isent the best ( but good for someone just out of college)

should i just steep back let them get on with it.... keep my head low dont do what i was doing (going the extra mile as to say) and sit out the back and let them at it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

Always do what you think is in your careers best interest. You are only new but don't stop showing initiative. If needs be talk to the guy, otherwise try to accomadate both your needs. Politics in a workplace can be a nightmare but sometimes you have to play the game.

In a new role you should show initiative and after you've learned the ropes be confident in your abilities and people will have confidence in you. Do not let this turn into arrogance.

You'd be surprised how even asking him the odd question on how to do something could give him the ego boost he sounds like he needs. If you do this though don't be obvious and don't make yourself look like you don't know what you're doing.

Sometimes it's crap having to play these games but until you're established somewhere and been noticed for the right reasons it can be a necessary evil.

-Funk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

funk-you wrote: »
    Always do what you think is in your careers best interest.

This is really good advice, and something most people don't grasp until a lot later in life.

You're new, so let the experienced guys advise you what to do. Rocking the boat is not a good move.

Advertisement