Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exchange just got enabled

Options
  • 24-06-2008 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭

Hi

The local exchange just got enabled and i can now get dsl.

Who would people recommend, eircom, ibb, bt?

i am going to go with the 3mb package. I want to be able to video call family in the US using skype and then just live streaming on the rte website. Will the upload speed affect my video call rgeatly?

Any advice would be great.

cheers

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Depends what you want it for,
    - Do you plan on downloading alot?
    - Is price a big factor for you

I'd personally recommend BT or UTV, stay away from Eircom as their expensive when compared to others.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,098 ✭✭✭glineli

Cabaal wrote: »

I'd personally recommend BT or UTV, stay away from Eircom as their expensive when compared to others.

Price isnt a factor as work will be paying for it. I wonder will the exchange have the benefit of the upgrades in a few weeks also??

I will do some downloading but not a lot.
    As i said, skype video call i will use a good bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

grats on your exchange getting enabled :D

personally i`d recommend eircom even tho there a bit pricey. If something goes wrong with another isp that you`ve subscribed to your in a big mess and ALOT of downtime;)

nuxxx wrote: »
    grats on your exchange getting enabled :D

personally i`d recommend eircom even tho there a bit pricey. If something goes wrong with another isp that you`ve subscribed to your in a big mess and ALOT of downtime;)

Thanks for the feedback

Any experience of skype on it??

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

The likes of skype will be fine on any ADSL providers services, however I would recommend you go for a package with a 256K upload or higher as many of the lower priced packages offer only 128K upload which will affect the quality of skype calls depending on what else your doing.

If work is paying for it maybe aim for one of ther Eircom business packages?
    http://business.eircom.net/broadband

Or one of the higher end home packages
    http://www.eircom.ie/broadband

Otherwise perhaps one of UTV's Business Broadband packages or BT's which seem to be better value imho...only by a few euro';s in cases though.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Cabaal wrote: »

In the light of the almost daily accounts on here of BT's 'incompetence' to put it mildly, it is irresponsible to recommend BT without a very strong warning about their past and present behaviour.

As I have put it elsewhere what price your 'sanity'?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

glineli wrote: »
    Hi

The local exchange just got enabled and i can now get dsl.

Who would people recommend, eircom, ibb, bt?

i am going to go with the 3mb package. I want to be able to video call family in the US using skype and then just live streaming on the rte website. Will the upload speed affect my video call rgeatly?

Any advice would be great.

cheers

It might be wiser to start with a lower speed package - not all lines will handle the 3Mb. If your line is ok you can then upgrade later. Do you have any idea how far you are away from your local exchange?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

glineli wrote: »
    Thanks for the feedback

Any experience of skype on it??

yes works fine for me
    Go for at least 2mb package or if u want to be totally safe get the 3mb deal(if u can afford it)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Congratulations. What exchange is it?

dub45 wrote: »
    It might be wiser to start with a lower speed package - not all lines will handle the 3Mb. If your line is ok you can then upgrade later. Do you have any idea how far you are away from your local exchange?

i am about 500m from the exchange, its just down the road.

• Advertisement

Congratulations. What exchange is it?

Its great!!

Its crusheen, clare, so happy days!!!:D

dub45 wrote: »
    In the light of the almost daily accounts on here of BT's 'incompetence' to put it mildly, it is irresponsible to recommend BT without a very strong warning about their past and present behaviour.

As I have put it elsewhere what price your 'sanity'?

True perhaps, however as for all the ISP's listed I';d recommend people search the forum for what kind of problems people have had with these ISP's

Advertisement