Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

All this stuff is quite overwhelming!

Options
  • 24-06-2008 5:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭

So its like christmas here!
    I just got my delivery of NI's Battery 3 with the Synthetic Drums 1 and 2 sample packs and a Novation ReMOTE 25SL Compact MIDI controller and i'm ecstatic!

So now here's my situation;
    It hasn't been too long since i got my copy of Logic Express and i'm getting the hold of it.
    I've got about 15GB of drum samples to play with along with the NI's Battery Sampler.
    I've got a MIDI controller here which looks cool and very promising but have never used before!
    And i've got a good few more free softwares and plug-ins along with the MIDI controller (Ableton Live Lite, BFD Lite, Novation Bass Station to name a few).
    All on my little mac which a month ago just had Reason on it.
    Oh and not to mention the thousands of pages of manuals and guides i've got along with all this.

Now i've got all this amazing stuff with me but its risen like a mountain of wealth in front of me and i don't quite know where to start from!

I presume there have been a few producers here who have gone through this rather overwhelming stage.
    So i need some Producer Inspiration to take a kick start at all this production wealth i've just acquired and start working on the music project that i've planned to complete towards the end of this year!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭Neurojazz

Start reading :) - and put it too practice :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

As I mentioned in a previous thread yesterday, the possibility of recording great music with what you have is endless so your mind is clearly over whelmed, take a step back and picture a visual concept of the type of track you would like to create then look through your gigs of samples to match that criteria. Start with a simple beat followed by that 'concept' sound you imagine in your head and build slowly and gradually. Tools are useless unless you have a concept with which to use them..

If you play the piano then use the midi controller otherwise spend some time learning how to use the program first and how to do the things you want on the program with your mouse, when you get more comfortable then started figuring out all the bells and whistles and capabilities of the midi keyboard.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

i got the MIDI controller mainly to make it easier to preview and record synths n stuff. And as i don't have a bass guitar, i'ld mainly be needing this to put down the bass lines. And when i start to play live, i can use it.
    What i really needed was the NI's Battery drum sampler to be able to start putting down the framework for my project. Got the synth drums as a good bundle with the Battery so got em all together.

Well, i'm pretty new at logic too. I've been searching around the web and youtube for some free tutorials for all of these things. But yeah, i'm gonna start producing the first single for my project soon. Plan to have the single and a "sneekpeek" preview of my project completed by the end of next month so i can put it up on myspace and give this all some start!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

What i really needed was the NI's Battery drum sampler to be able to start putting down the framework for my project. Got the synth drums as a good bundle with the Battery so got em all together.

Well, i'm pretty new at logic too. I've been searching around the web and youtube for some free tutorials for all of these things..

Mate - Pity you just didnt stick with Ultrabeat - Could have saved yourself some cash. Its just as Fcuking good as Battery.. Especially if you are just learning etc.. Its got everything that you could possibly need.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

i put in my drumbeats on seperate channels.
    channel for kick,channel for snare,hats etc.
    that way i dont have to fart around with ultrabeat(although it is very very good) or any other programme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,171 ✭✭✭af_thefragile

Aah well, i'll use ultrabeat too... I actually just discovered it in logic a few days ago... Well i knew it was there but i didn't know how to get to it.

But i've used the demo version of Battery before and i quite liked it so i went for it.
    Though i got Battery for the sample library more than anything.

Guess i'll really find out what i need most once i seriously get down to working on my music.
    Lately i've just been ****ing around with the synths, LFO's, delay's n all on Reason and trying to get the hang of logic.
    But i think its finally time to stop ****ing around and start planning how i'm gonna put down some tracks...!

Advertisement