Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EI to LAX this sept, type of aircraft

Options
  • 24-06-2008 6:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭

Just wondering what aircraft are EI using at the moment to LAX? I am travelling in September and I want to know if there is any chance of getting the planes with individual IFE rather than the communal stuff that most of EI's planes have.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

Didn't Mannion say recently that the LAX route is to be axed due to the current oil price or was it that it will be should the oil price stay at it's current rate?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Not being cut til November

It will be any of the 332's.........they MIGHT have them all retrofitted by then

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Fabio

But I thought they used the 333's on that route which do have the IFE while the 332's are on the Boston and New York routes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Nope, they have been using the old planes on the LAX route.

I take it that EI will retain the SFO route for the time being or is that on the cutting block also?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

Fabio wrote: »
    But I thought they used the 333's on that route which do have the IFE while the 332's are on the Boston and New York routes...

I don't think the 333's have enough range for LAX/SFO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

peter1892 wrote: »
    I don't think the 333's have enough range for LAX/SFO.

Correct. Only the 332's can reach SFO or LAX, EI-DUZ is an A333E, which to my knowledge has the range for LAX. It is the only 333 in hte fleet if so with that capability

• Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Foggy43

The A330-200 can fly LHR GRU (Sao Paulo) direct. An hours extra flying than LHR LAX.

TAM do it every day. A 12 hour sector more or less.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,884 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Correct. Only the 332's can reach SFO or LAX, EI-DUZ is an A333E, which to my knowledge has the range for LAX. It is the only 333 in hte fleet if so with that capability

Currently EI use -LAX,-EWR,-DAA and -DUO for DUB-LAX and DUB-SFO. These are all A332s,only -DAA and -DUO have individual screens. The particular aircraft changes each day. You cannot predict more than a day or two in advance and even then diversions/tech problems can alter this. SO you have a 50% chance of communal IFE (LAX/EWR)

-DUZ has the range for West coast routes but EI prefer to keep it on East coast ops,as it has larger capacity. The 'spare' 2 A332 (see above) usually do lower demand East coast flights.

DUB-LAX if stopping this winter but DUB-SFO will probably increase to 5 times a week. The A332s will get retro fitted (to -DUO standard) this winter but they may not be rolled out until Jan/Feb 2009.

Advertisement