Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do wasps pollinate?

Options
  • 24-06-2008 7:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭

I had thought it was only bees which pollinate, but someone told me a few days ago that wasps also pollinate but just aren't as effective as bees.

Is it correct that wasps pollinate?

I'm just after googling and found this;
    http://www.elmbridge.gov.uk/services/environment/bees.htm
    Wasps can be useful pollinators

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Foleyart

Yes wasps do pollinate but are primarily scavengers and are therefore potential disease carriers. The females ARE the ones who carry stingers, however workers are females who cannot lay eggs.You will see wasps on fruit but you will also see wasps on meat. They also need little provocation to sting in defence as they can sting repeatedly whereas the humble bee can only sting once and dies as a result. The bee therefore needs much greater provocation before they resort to the ultimate sacrifice for them. Hope this helps.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭zoe

Thanks very much Foleyart.
    Foleyart wrote: »
    Yes wasps do pollinate but are primarily scavengers and are therefore potential disease carriers.

You mean carriers of disease to flowers/plants?

Is it that bees are intentionally collecting pollen, and therefore pollinating.

Whereas wasps are not intentionally collecting pollen, but some may stick to them, and therefore their pollination abilities are accidental?

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Foleyart

You mean carriers of disease to flowers/plants?

Is it that bees are intentionally collecting pollen, and therefore pollinating.(True)

Whereas wasps are not intentionally collecting pollen, but some may stick to them, and therefore their pollination abilities are accidental?[/QUOTE](True)

No, carriers of disease in much the same way as rats are to people, wasps scavenge on meat and other rotting material. It may sometimes be necessary to get a tetanus shot after a wasp sting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭zoe

Thanks very much for all the info, that's very helpful.

I hadn't realised that a tetanus shot can sometimes be required after a wasp sting!

Advertisement