Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Music Store in Galway?

Options
  • 24-06-2008 7:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 39

Just wondering which music shop people in Galway think is the best? And why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭hupyago

the bell book and candle secondhand books & music seems to be good value for money and a good selection

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭mr biazzi

wHen HMV opened i remember red light records taking a page in a local paper displaying price differences. There is a drastic difference in album prices between alot of the shops. To be honest havent bought a cd in well over a year, 'Download',
    But i remember stepin into HMV one morning and the same time the cd i was looking for was just delivered in the door.
    i think everyones got their personel favourite, but its definatly worth lookin around since their all pretty close together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

i'd have to say hmv. the rest haven't a clue*

*a clue on how to suit my tastes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but I always do my best to support the the locals so long as I know I'm not getting ripped off. I usually go to Zhivago although Ionly buy DVDs or CDs 5 or 6 times a year.

Generally, I prefer not to go to the likes of Boots or Tesco if I can get what I'm looking for in a locally owned shop or at least, an Irish owned shop. Of course, sometimes I go to B&Q or Debenhams when I know they exclusivley sell something I can't get elsewhere, but I do like to support my local.

I think it was drilled into me by my Dad when I was a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Fly High

Zhivago is tripe in my opinion, the selection is brutal for anything alternative...

I think if you wanna support the locals go to Bell Book and Candle for a good wide selection try HMV, if you wanna be ripped off for crap try Zhivago...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ambasite

where is the Bell Book and Candle store?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,172 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Louise~ wrote: »
    if you wanna be ripped off for crap try Zhivago...

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try this weekend! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭renmorescout

ambasite wrote: »
    where is the Bell Book and Candle store?

Bell Book and Candle is in the Small Crane, Behind the Crane Bar.
    Back the West, as the locals would say. There's nothing better then browsing around and finding a good book, and then heading around the corner to The Budding Cafe for a cup of coffee !:)

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bass Cadet

Mulligans (is that still open??) has a great selection of blues/jazz/celtic/ambient stuff that you wouldn't find in most high street music shops. Redlight is good too for good music. Zhivago and HMV will mostly have all your usually pop garbage

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

Bass Cadet wrote: »
    Mulligans (is that still open??) has a great selection of blues/jazz/celtic/ambient stuff that you wouldn't find in most high street music shops.
    It's closed. At least on Middle St anyway. Unless it's moved somewhere else?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭ambasite

Bell Book and Candle is in the Small Crane, Behind the Crane Bar.
    Back the West, as the locals would say. There's nothing better then browsing around and finding a good book, and then heading around the corner to The Budding Cafe for a cup of coffee !:)

thanks, will give it a go this weekend & get all bohemian like :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

i still like buying cds a lot. i have found i shop in all the shops as they have differeing degrees of selection and price, no one shop has an absolute advantage.

HMV have a better overall selection but have a horribly priced Metal Section.

Zhivago dont have such a big slection but they do great deals on metal and their 3 for 30 can be very good. If you dig through Zhivago's stock you will find a gem or two, the lads in there arent totally clueless like!

RedLight are similar to Zhivago in terms of choice.

Bell Book Candle is brilliant for finding albums but you can expect to find new stuff in there, its only as good as the stock that is handed in!

Mulligans has been closed a while now. interesting selection but way too over priced.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,889 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I like the 3 for 30 in Zhivago but the selection has been quite bad recently(probably coz I bought all the Bruce Springsteen and Waterboys CD's I didn't have in that offer!). They are also good for stocking local bands like Stonelakes, Noelie McDonnel and Saw Doctors stuff. But so is Redlight Records for the local stuff...HMV just makes you wish you had loads of money to buy loads of CD's. (I like to buy the CD's with package and all!)

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭dantbyhid

If you dig through Zhivago's stock you will find a gem or two, the lads in there arent totally clueless like!

Yep, we just pretend to be sometimes.... :p

Advertisement