Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TIME magazine article about Ireland's "No"

Options
  • 24-06-2008 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭

From TIME magazine article here (18 June)

Dealing with Ireland's No
    By CHARLES GRANT

"The shock waves from Ireland's vote against the Lisbon treaty will reverberate around the European Union and beyond for many years. European leaders were preparing to focus on pressing external challenges such as climate change, energy security, Russia policy and E.U. enlargement; now they will have to turn inward once again to put time and energy into fixing the E.U.'s creaking institutions. The rest of the world may conclude that Europe's ambition to play a greater role on the world stage should not be taken too seriously: the treaty's biggest aim — to better coordinate the members' foreign policies — will certainly be delayed and may never happen.

The Lisbon treaty, the fruit of seven years of interminable negotiations, cannot enter into force unless ratified by all 27 member states. Eighteen have ratified it in their parliaments and a further eight are due to do so later this year. Only Ireland chose to ratify by referendum.

Many Europeans are surprised that 53% of the Irish, who have done so well out of E.U. membership, should vote against the treaty. All their political leaders bar Sinn Fein's Gerry Adams, and all the mainstream newspapers, called for a yes. But Ireland's voters reacted against the establishment telling them what to do by giving it a kicking. A slick no campaign played on fears that the treaty would lead to higher taxes (untrue) and deprive Ireland of its right to appoint an E.U. commissioner (true). The yes campaign failed to provide good reasons for supporting a document that promised mere technical changes to E.U. institutions.

Richer and better educated people tended to vote for the treaty, while working-class Irish mostly opposed it. A similar social division over attitudes to the E.U. is apparent in many European countries. Euro-skeptics are right to portray the E.U. as an élite project that fails to connect with ordinary citizens. Yet pro-Europeans are also right to ask whether voters should have to pronounce on a highly complex legal text that would make no impact on their daily lives.

What happens next is far from clear. Most E.U. governments think current Brussels institutions are hopelessly inadequate. For example, three individuals — the Commissioner for External Relations, the High Representative and the Foreign Minister of the country holding the rotating presidency — try to represent the E.U. externally. This ineffective system causes much confusion in places like Beijing, Moscow and Washington. The treaty would merge the three jobs into one permanent post, supported by an embryonic E.U. foreign ministry.

So the governments will not abandon their quest for better institutions. Nor will they renegotiate the treaty: they fear that to amend one bit of what is a package of finely balanced compromises could lead to other bits unraveling. That leaves two options. One is to bury the Lisbon treaty but try to save some of its key provisions. A few of them, designed to improve cooperation in matters of justice and foreign policy, could perhaps be introduced without a new treaty. Furthermore, the prospect of Croatian membership, expected in two or three years, offers opportunities. Every time a country joins the E.U., voting rules need to be adjusted. Croatia's accession treaty could include the simplified procedure ("double majority voting") that is in the Lisbon treaty.

The other, more likely, option is for the governments to press ahead with the Lisbon treaty in the hope that the Irish will change their mind. The E.U. could offer the Irish a protocol to clarify that the treaty does not affect national powers on taxation, and a promise to use the Croatian accession treaty to restore the one-commissioner-per-country rule. The Irish would then vote again on the Lisbon treaty next summer. But that would be risky: the E.U. would appear arrogantly dismissive of the June 12 result, and the Irish could vote no again.

If the Irish did vote no twice, many countries would want to move ahead without them. Legally, the other 26 could renounce the existing E.U. treaties and recreate them with one fewer member. But that maneuver could not work unless all the members were firmly committed to pushing Ireland out of the E.U. Some of the more Euro-skeptic members, such as Britain and the Czech Republic, might thwart such an effort. But then the majority of the member states could try to create a two-speed Europe: the Irish, British and others reluctant to integrate would be left outside a new club. If that course is pursued, Ireland's referendum will have set off a chain of events that breaks up the E.U. as we know it.

Charles Grant is director of the Centre for European Reform"

Apart from his slightly histrionic opening paragraph, he raises the interesting prospect that we could be kicked out. i really don't see that happening. Would we vote Yes in a Lisbon II in order to stay in? i don't know.

Also, why is this chestnut about social class being repeatedly trotted out: "Richer and better educated people tended to vote for the treaty, while working-class Irish mostly opposed it."

Why do people keep saying it? Are they trying to infer than the richer and more educated you are, that you're likely to be more pro-EU? Or worse, is there a construction being put on this that maybe we should be listening more to those who are perceived as being educated? Smacks of EU elitism to me!

i consider myself quite well educated and while i'm not personally rich, i would probably be described as middle class. i voted No and i think the Yes side needs to engage all of us on the other side in any future debate, regardless of where we live or how much education we've received

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Broadly the richer you are the more likely you are to follow the governments lead. Its safer for your money! The no voters were not engaged by the Powers That Be. SF said "hello, we understand your uncertainty" quite a lot. If the government learns nothing else its got to learn to stop taking the 'great unwashed' for granted.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

Mike, SF said nothing to me. They never have. i still don't entirely trust them as a legitimate policital party. They're also too populist for my liking. Likewise Libertas. None of the messages that either of them were spreading formed a part of why i voted No.

Every time someone tries to characterise my vote as a vote in support of or agreement with either Sinn Fein or Libertas, the hairs on the back of my neck stand up ;)

However their influence on any of the other 'great unwashed' is another matter

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

CtrlSource wrote: »
    Mike, SF said nothing to me. They never have. i still don't entirely trust them as a legitimate policital party. They're also too populist for my liking. Likewise Libertas. None of the messages that either of them were spreading formed a part of why i voted No.

Every time someone tries to characterise my vote as a vote in support of or agreement with either Sinn Fein or Libertas, the hairs on the back of my arm stand up ;)

+1. Hardly noticed the Libertas spiel and never listen to SF anyway, still voted NO. Would vote NO again, especially if it's just thrown back at us to "get the right result".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭conceited

+1 Same goes for me never even heard of the Libertas crowd untill a few days after i voted no.I'm still going to vote no again considering they have no respect for us as people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Didn't hear of Libertas until after? Wow!

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,910 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The Sunday Times isn't a mainstream newspaper? Don't give me the 'Its an English paper" thing, it shares minimal content in the actual main section with the UK and most of the rest of the paper is gutted and rewritten.

Actually thought the ST's line on it rather disproves the 'it was the middle classes that voted yes' bit, based on who buys it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭conceited

I don't really watch tv I Loathe it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

agree op,i'm sick of hearing this line which infers that the yes vote was the better smarter choice.i'm working class,have a BA and am going on for an MA in september.i'm arguably more educated than many yes voters.and theres plenty others like me i'm sure,who voted no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭thehighground

Every time someone tries to characterise my vote as a vote in support of or agreement with either Sinn Fein or Libertas, the hairs on the back of my neck stand up ;)

+ 1

Wouldn't mind what these publications have to say. The people who matter know who they are: The guy who wrote the article works for article works for the Centre for European Reform*:- of course he wants his middle class clients to think that it is the 'bloody working classes' who said 'No'! When you think of it, about 40% of the middle class in South Dublin voted 'No'. Just more spin.

*"The Centre for European Reform is a think-tank devoted to improving the quality of the debate on the European Union. It is a forum for people with ideas from Britain and across the continent to discuss the many political, economic and social challenges facing Europe. It seeks to work with similar bodies in other European countries, North America and elsewhere in the world.

The CER is pro-European but not uncritical. It regards European integration as largely beneficial but recognises that in many respects the Union does not work well. The CER therefore aims to promote new ideas for reforming the European Union.

The CER makes a point of bringing together people from the worlds of politics and business. Most of our meetings and seminars are by invitation only, to ensure a high level of debate.

The conclusions of our research and seminars are reflected in our publications, as well as in the private papers and briefings that senior officials, ministers and commissioners ask us to provide. The CER's work is funded by donations from the private sector. It has never received core funding from governments or EU institutions.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭bbbbb

Only Ireland chose to ratify by referendum.
    is incorrect. Should be "Only Ireland was required to ratify by referendum.
    If other countries were in a similar position, there would be other no votes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭thehighground

agree op,i'm sick of hearing this line which infers that the yes vote was the better smarter choice.i'm working class,have a BA and am going on for an MA in september.i'm arguably more educated than many yes voters.and theres plenty others like me i'm sure,who voted no.

Most irish people stay in school until they are 18. Class isn't such an issue in Ireland as it would be in the UK, or France.

Someone should quote them the PISA - OECD rankings on: Irish 15 year old pupils have above average reading capabilities (along with Netherlands and South Korea). Interesting that the Dutch rejected the Constitution as well.

:) German, French and UK are only average readers! Might explain why the French decided to let Sarkozy handle it for them the 2nd time.

MYOB wrote: »
    The Sunday Times isn't a mainstream newspaper? Don't give me the 'Its an English paper" thing, it shares minimal content in the actual main section with the UK and most of the rest of the paper is gutted and rewritten.

Actually thought the ST's line on it rather disproves the 'it was the middle classes that voted yes' bit, based on who buys it...

SF = Sinn Féin, not the Sunday Times :)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Also, why is this chestnut about social class being repeatedly trotted out: "Richer and better educated people tended to vote for the treaty, while working-class Irish mostly opposed it."

Why do people keep saying it? Are they trying to infer than the richer and more educated you are, that you're likely to be more pro-EU? Or worse, is there a construction being put on this that maybe we should be listening more to those who are perceived as being educated? Smacks of EU elitism to me!

i consider myself quite well educated and while i'm not personally rich, i would probably be described as middle class. i voted No and i think the Yes side needs to engage all of us on the other side in any future debate, regardless of where we live or how much education we've received[/FONT]

Fundamentally, the reason it gets said is because it was the case. The tally results as they came in showed that poorer and working-class areas voted No much more strongly than any other area.

Having said that, it is the case that middle-class areas also voted No, so, as you say, characterising the No vote as a lower-class vote is certainly false.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

From TIME magazine article here (18 June)

Dealing with Ireland's No
    By CHARLES GRANT

"The shock waves from Ireland's vote against the Lisbon treaty will reverberate around the European Union and beyond for many years. European leaders were preparing to focus on pressing external challenges such as climate change, energy security, Russia policy and E.U. enlargement; now they will have to turn inward once again to put time and energy into fixing the E.U.'s creaking institutions. The rest of the world may conclude that Europe's ambition to play a greater role on the world stage should not be taken too seriously: the treaty's biggest aim — to better coordinate the members' foreign policies — will certainly be delayed and may never happen.

The Lisbon treaty, the fruit of seven years of interminable negotiations, cannot enter into force unless ratified by all 27 member states. Eighteen have ratified it in their parliaments and a further eight are due to do so later this year. Only Ireland chose to ratify by referendum.

Many Europeans are surprised that 53% of the Irish, who have done so well out of E.U. membership, should vote against the treaty. All their political leaders bar Sinn Fein's Gerry Adams, and all the mainstream newspapers, called for a yes. But Ireland's voters reacted against the establishment telling them what to do by giving it a kicking. A slick no campaign played on fears that the treaty would lead to higher taxes (untrue) and deprive Ireland of its right to appoint an E.U. commissioner (true). The yes campaign failed to provide good reasons for supporting a document that promised mere technical changes to E.U. institutions.

Richer and better educated people tended to vote for the treaty, while working-class Irish mostly opposed it. A similar social division over attitudes to the E.U. is apparent in many European countries. Euro-skeptics are right to portray the E.U. as an élite project that fails to connect with ordinary citizens. Yet pro-Europeans are also right to ask whether voters should have to pronounce on a highly complex legal text that would make no impact on their daily lives.

What happens next is far from clear. Most E.U. governments think current Brussels institutions are hopelessly inadequate. For example, three individuals — the Commissioner for External Relations, the High Representative and the Foreign Minister of the country holding the rotating presidency — try to represent the E.U. externally. This ineffective system causes much confusion in places like Beijing, Moscow and Washington. The treaty would merge the three jobs into one permanent post, supported by an embryonic E.U. foreign ministry.

So the governments will not abandon their quest for better institutions. Nor will they renegotiate the treaty: they fear that to amend one bit of what is a package of finely balanced compromises could lead to other bits unraveling. That leaves two options. One is to bury the Lisbon treaty but try to save some of its key provisions. A few of them, designed to improve cooperation in matters of justice and foreign policy, could perhaps be introduced without a new treaty. Furthermore, the prospect of Croatian membership, expected in two or three years, offers opportunities. Every time a country joins the E.U., voting rules need to be adjusted. Croatia's accession treaty could include the simplified procedure ("double majority voting") that is in the Lisbon treaty.

The other, more likely, option is for the governments to press ahead with the Lisbon treaty in the hope that the Irish will change their mind. The E.U. could offer the Irish a protocol to clarify that the treaty does not affect national powers on taxation, and a promise to use the Croatian accession treaty to restore the one-commissioner-per-country rule. The Irish would then vote again on the Lisbon treaty next summer. But that would be risky: the E.U. would appear arrogantly dismissive of the June 12 result, and the Irish could vote no again.

If the Irish did vote no twice, many countries would want to move ahead without them. Legally, the other 26 could renounce the existing E.U. treaties and recreate them with one fewer member. But that maneuver could not work unless all the members were firmly committed to pushing Ireland out of the E.U. Some of the more Euro-skeptic members, such as Britain and the Czech Republic, might thwart such an effort. But then the majority of the member states could try to create a two-speed Europe: the Irish, British and others reluctant to integrate would be left outside a new club. If that course is pursued, Ireland's referendum will have set off a chain of events that breaks up the E.U. as we know it.

Charles Grant is director of the Centre for European Reform"

I must agree (with CtrlSource that is!) - that article is pretty slanted!
    Apart from his slightly histrionic opening paragraph, he raises the interesting prospect that we could be kicked out. i really don't see that happening. Would we vote Yes in a Lisbon II in order to stay in? i don't know.

IMO, another bullying tactic!

EU elitism and corporate arrogance it would seem!
    i consider myself quite well educated and while i'm not personally rich, i would probably be described as middle class. i voted No and i think the Yes side needs to engage all of us on the other side in any future debate, regardless of where we live or how much education we've received

I'd be very much of the same economic background, but I would want a complete overhaul of the EU so that its people are centre-stage, rather than the political elite and vested interests!

Regards!

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭jellybeans

lets stop all this squabbling about who said who voted for what, what does it matter really at the end of the day, what irritates me is people voting no just to make a bloody point. This should not be used as a weapon to bite ones nose off to bite ones face! lets think of the long term repercussions here folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,910 ✭✭✭✭L1011

SF = Sinn Féin, not the Sunday Times :)

??? Nothing in my post made a reference to Sinn Fein in any way, shape or form...

MYOB wrote: »
    ??? Nothing in my post made a reference to Sinn Fein in any way, shape or form...

Yeah i know. You were talking about The Sunday Times, which hadn't been mentioned before in the thread. You talked about it as if it had and then referred to the ST.... i just thought you misread 'SF' and thought we were talking about the Times

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

"Richer and better educated people tended to vote for the treaty, while working-class Irish mostly opposed it. A similar social division over attitudes to the E.U. is apparent in many European countries. Euro-skeptics are right to portray the E.U. as an élite project that fails to connect with ordinary citizens. Yet pro-Europeans are also right to ask whether voters should have to pronounce on a highly complex legal text that would make no impact on their daily lives.

Also, why is this chestnut about social class being repeatedly trotted out: "Richer and better educated people tended to vote for the treaty, while working-class Irish mostly opposed it.""

i consider myself quite well educated and while i'm not personally rich, i would probably be described as middle class. i voted No and i think the Yes side needs to engage all of us on the other side in any future debate, regardless of where we live or how much education we've received[/FONT]
    Scofflaw wrote: »
    Fundamentally, the reason it gets said is because it was the case. The tally results as they came in showed that poorer and working-class areas voted No much more strongly than any other area.

Having said that, it is the case that middle-class areas also voted No, so, as you say, characterising the No vote as a lower-class vote is certainly false.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Ah yes but they claim it was both richer and better educated that voted for it. Was their an exam on the way in to see who was more educated. The phrase is used to make it look like it was uneducated (thickos from the island) masses that voted against it.
    Something tells me this guy wrote this without taking his monocle out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

The suggestion the the working class bog Irish were responsible for the no vote intrigues me, particularly since I have seen it put forward by a number of other commentators including those in government. Have they some secret formula for deciding if someone is "working class" and therefore stupid because they choose to live in a particular area? Have they extensive statistical evidence to demonstrate that such people are, in fact, stupid? Have they somehow compiled statistics by comparing voting cards with actual votes?

I was born of working class parents and I went to a working class school, although now as a company director I guess I would be called middle class. My parents were not well educated people, but like all of their social status they had a wealth of common sense, and they were very capable of seeing through the spin of politicians. I said NO to Lisbon for the same reasons they they would have chosen. I value my freedom and my right to elect my representatives above all else.

For the great and good to suggest that the "working class" voted no because they didn't understand is highly offensive, and much more of that will guarantee my NO vote if they try another Nice Treaty exercise.:mad:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

ART6 wrote: »
    For the great and good to suggest that the "working class" voted no because they didn't understand is highly offensive, and much more of that will guarantee my NO vote if they try another Nice Treaty exercise.:mad:

well, that's certainly intelligent.

• Advertisement

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Ah yes but they claim it was both richer and better educated that voted for it. Was their an exam on the way in to see who was more educated. The phrase is used to make it look like it was uneducated (thickos from the island) masses that voted against it.
    Something tells me this guy wrote this without taking his monocle out.

Good point. To say that people from lower income areas are less educated is too much of a generalisation, but it's typical of the way opinion polling works.

As you said, they use it to make the voters look thick, which in turn makes them easier to dismiss. The guy who wrote the article though, seems to be just reflecting a lot of similar "analysis" that has been done since the referendum.

ART6 wrote: »
    The suggestion the the working class bog Irish were responsible for the no vote intrigues me, particularly since I have seen it put forward by a number of other commentators including those in government. Have they some secret formula for deciding if someone is "working class" and therefore stupid because they choose to live in a particular area? Have they extensive statistical evidence to demonstrate that such people are, in fact, stupid? Have they somehow compiled statistics by comparing voting cards with actual votes?

I was born of working class parents and I went to a working class school, although now as a company director I guess I would be called middle class. My parents were not well educated people, but like all of their social status they had a wealth of common sense, and they were very capable of seeing through the spin of politicians. I said NO to Lisbon for the same reasons they they would have chosen. I value my freedom and my right to elect my representatives above all else.

It intrigues me too. i don't like using social class labels, because it's rarely so cut and dried, no matter what country you're in and it divides people. Here in Ireland, the vast majority of us are no more than a couple of generations from modest roots.

If all aged eighteen and over are entitled to vote, you've got to deal with them and respect their views. It's not like everyone needs a University degree to be able to vote the way they want to!

Those who use this type of opinion to strengthen their argument are demonstrating a weak and false point of view

• Registered Users Posts: 19,022 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

well, that's certainly intelligent.
    If a man's vote is ignored and he is told he voted wrongly and must vote again, he has EVERY RIGHT to be offended.

+1 to Art's post. I'll also be voting NO again. The EU has gone far enough for me.....does that make me stupid too?

If I may....I found a few IR£20 notes today. The reverse displays a signed pledge. It reads:

We the undersigned, being convinced that good government and wise legislation can be permanently secured to the irish people only through the instrumentality of an irish legislature, do hereby solemnly pledge ourselves to our country and to each other, that we will never desist from seeking the repeal of the legislative union and, by all peaceable, moral and constitutional means, until government be restored to Ireland. Dated this 30th May 1845. Daniel O'Connell M.P.

I used my constitutional RIGHT to vote NO and my own irish government is more than likely going to ask me to vote again and vote 'properly. What would O'Connell think of that I wonder. Now, I'm no irish nationalist by any stretch of the imagination and actually believe we have a lot in common with the british but the sentiment stands...democracy should be as local as possible. The Lisbon Treaty IS a stepping stone to greater integration. The EU has only gone ONE WAY since its inception. If you are in favour of this, then fair enough, vote yes. I am not and I will continue to vote NO to any further treaties which allow greater integration. Globalisation is not good for ordinary people (including directors!) and the EU project is part of this.

As you said, they use it to make the voters look thick, which in turn makes them easier to dismiss. The guy who wrote the article though, seems to be just reflecting a lot of similar "analysis" that has been done since the referendum.

So, does anyone have an example of a commentator actually making the point that lower class voters didn't understand the treaty - or is it enough to simply mention both those facts for people to start feeling oppressed?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭johnnyq

So, does anyone have an example of a commentator actually making the point that lower class voters didn't understand the treaty - or is it enough to simply mention both those facts for people to start feeling oppressed?

cordially,
    Scofflaw

To be fair Scofflaw, it is highly implied. It might be a bit like putting the words 'creationist' and 'stupid' in the same sentence and being shocked at the conclusion most people would draw from your stance.

What I found fascinating though is that from some statistics I saw on the IT, it was those in the 18-24 bracket who were the largest group who voted no. And yet we hear nothing about age being a factor, mainly 'working class areas'.

Be in no doubt if it were the 60's+ were the predominant No there would be talk of Catholic/1950's ignorance and a load of :rolleyes: smilies used, to show some ridiculous form of elitism which some people on this board (not you Scofflaw;)) seem insistant on to make themselves feel more important.

Maybe i'm wrong but there certainly was an elitist reaction on the first day after the result anyway.

johnnyq wrote: »
    To be fair Scofflaw, it is highly implied. It might be a bit like putting the words 'creationist' and 'stupid' in the same sentence and being shocked at the conclusion most people would draw from your stance.

What I found fascinating though is that from some statistics I saw on the IT, it was those in the 18-24 bracket who were the largest group who voted no. And yet we hear nothing about age being a factor, mainly 'working class areas'.

Be in no doubt if it were the 60's+ were the predominant No there would be talk of Catholic/1950's ignorance and a load of :rolleyes: smilies used, to show some ridiculous form of elitism which some people on this board (not you Scofflaw;)) seem insistant on to make themselves feel more important.

Maybe i'm wrong but there certainly was an elitist reaction on the first day after the result anyway.

Hmm. I'm not sure asking "how can people be so ruddy thick?" is actually elitist, though - it's more an expression of frustration than a comment on socio-economic indicators.

As I've said, I don't see that connection being drawn, because working-class areas, for example, already tend to vote SF, so the connection is essentially trivial.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Hmm. I'm not sure asking "how can people be so ruddy thick?" is actually elitist, though - it's more an expression of frustration than a comment on socio-economic indicators.

As I've said, I don't see that connection being drawn, because working-class areas, for example, already tend to vote SF, so the connection is essentially trivial.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

The problem Scofflaw, I think, is the use of the word educated implying that the working class are uneducated, which would also imply that they didn't understand what they were voting for as they were uneducated masses. It just seems to belittle the no vote.
    It's also dangerous to presume that the working class, especially in this day in age where education is available to nearly all the populace, are all uneducated.
    I know the writer is careful not to use the word "uneducated" in his text but by aligning rich and educated and opposing them against the working class implies it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭dresden8

, because working-class areas, for example, already tend to vote SF,
    cordially,
    Scofflaw

Yeah, that's why the Dáil is overrun with them.

FFS!

ShooterSF wrote: »
    The problem Scofflaw, I think, is the use of the word educated implying that the working class are uneducated, which would also imply that they didn't understand what they were voting for as they were uneducated masses. It just seems to belittle the no vote.
    It's also dangerous to presume that the working class, especially in this day in age where education is available to nearly all the populace, are all uneducated.
    I know the writer is careful not to use the word "uneducated" in his text but by aligning rich and educated and opposing them against the working class implies it.

Hmm. Again, though, sadly, that's a statistical correlation - the higher the level of education, the more likely to have voted Yes. True for all EU referendums, and for positive views on the EU generally - here and abroad.

In a sense, it would certainly sound equally dismissive to say that the important thing was the failure of the middle class to vote Yes - because that suggests the only important electorate is the middle class one. However, that is largely the case, as even that very funny video acknowledges.

Anyway, all of this comes back to the idea that a second referendum on Lisbon depends on establishing the 'illegitimacy' of the No vote, which isn't the case. Left to their own devices, FF wouldn't run a second referendum for love nor money.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Generalisation central! i would suspect (but have no factual proof to hand) that far more "working class" people vote Labour and Fianna Fail. AFAIK, peoples' votes in this referendum tended not to be based on any party allegiances. i do not support Sinn Fein at all, nor do i have much interest in what Libertas have been saying.

Hmm. Again, though, sadly, that's a statistical correlation - the higher the level of education, the more likely to have voted Yes. True for all EU referendums, and for positive views on the EU generally - here and abroad.

How do you actually know the level of education of Yes and No voters?

In a sense, it would certainly sound equally dismissive to say that the important thing was the failure of the middle class to vote Yes - because that suggests the only important electorate is the middle class one. However, that is largely the case, as even that very funny video acknowledges.

It would sound dismissive. It would be insulting to me to somehow be expected to vote a particular way because the general perception was that my "class" are more pro-EU or whatever. You can be pro-EU and pro-Europe and still have problems with this Treaty and some EU policies.
    Anyway, all of this comes back to the idea that a second referendum on Lisbon depends on establishing the 'illegitimacy' of the No vote, which isn't the case. Left to their own devices, FF wouldn't run a second referendum for love nor money.

Nobody is going to admit that their trying to query the legitimacy of the vote, but it doesn't hurt them to spin it that way, at least for a while. It may start to put doubts in the minds of swing voters - if we are indeed to be asked to vote again.

i don't have a problem with another referendum, so long as we're voting on a different Treaty, or at least one that has been given more than just a minor cosmetic makeover. If the Irish people are asked to vote on the Treaty again as is, or with very minor semantic alterations / declarations, i won't hesitate in voting No again. It would be a protest vote on my part, whereas the first time i voted based on my opinion of the Treaty

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,762 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

bbbbb wrote: »
    If other countries were in a similar position, there would be other no votes.

You know this for a fact? Care to back it up?

Advertisement