Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advise on moving to your fine city?

Options
  • 24-06-2008 8:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi, my Dad is from Dublin and I have been twice, I absolutely love it. He grew up in Oliver Bond flats back in the 50's and I had the pleasure of seeing them before they were knocked down. He also went to the school and church used in the Commitments which I have also been to :) Anyway enough bla bla, just wondered if you could give me advice to live in Dublin? I still have some family there but I am not sure I want to "use them" so to speak in my quest to live there. I am a truck driver by trade but have a lot of experience in pubs and clubs, used to Manage for the wetherspoons pubs here in Nottingham. I am 25 and have a class two HGV license and just want a change in life after splitting with my g/f of 4 years and getting fed up of my mundane life in a city I have always lived in. What is pay like compared to cost of living etc? Will I be accepted being English or the Dubliners like to stick to their own?
    Thanks for rwading I hope you can find time to reply :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

I just want to say thanks for having such an opinion of this city.

I can tell you being English won't mean nothing. I don't come from the school of 'we need to move on'...'the english made us civilised'; etc. but I can tell you nobody would care(at least I hope not)...

Now I live at home with my parents. I'm only 17, so I really have no other advice or words.

But I hope you make the move and give it a shot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Nottmlad

Ah I tell you I would love to make the move! My Dad knows and would also love it seeing it is his history to. Love hearing the old stories of his "Ma" taking him to get his hair cut on the good side of the river in case she saw anyone she knew so it looked like they lived that side :D Getting fed up of "Shottingham" as it is now known as all over England there are far too many arseholes here and I know too many I want to be rid of this hole so to speak. I suppose making the move will be the hardest thing but I have never been more ready :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

The English are Irelands biggest foreign community! There are thousands and thousands of you over here and you seem to get on great. Plenty of aresholes here though too!

Regarding staying with family. The Irish are great at telling people to come over and visit and then die of shock when someone arrives at the door. So if you have been told to come over and stay they might not have meant with them in their houses. I could be wrong of course.

Here you go for work http://jobs.ie/

Here you go for somewhere to live http://daft.ie/

Its a great city. The best of luck with your plans.

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭the boss of me

The money is not great driving trucks these days but it should be enough for a single guy to live comfortably on.
    You should not accept less than €12 ph and probably won't make much better than €15ph unless you get your EC license and ADR cert. Those two pieces of paper will open a lot of doors and increase your earning potential big time.
    Here's a few links ; http://jobbank.fas.ie
    http://www.icelogistics.ie
    http://www.multiflex.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

I'd stay away from Oliver Bond if you do move back, turned into a right oul kip over the years, especially the last few months with a tonne of northside teenagers hanging out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

hey,

You are going to love Dublin after England! I'm a Dubliner living in England and I absolutely hate it! The people really aren't the same, although you being from the north of England is better, cos you're a lot more similar to us than southerners in many ways. You'll absolutely be accepted - just as long as you remember that we are a lot more relaxed, open minded and our humour is a lot more politically incorrect, self-deprecating and we like to take the piss out of other people a lot so don't be offended. (I'm not obviously tarring all English folks with the same brush -but theses are the major differences I'm seeing since moving here). On the whole we are a hell of a lot more open and friendly too!

Cost of living versus wages is much better as well except for supermarkets!! Bar work in particular tends to pay really well so you might want to start with that while you're settling down.

As has been pointed out, www.daft.ie is brilliant and really the only place to go for finding somewhere to live. The area you want to live in sort of depends on what you're used to. Dublin is different to a lot of England (esp. London) in that most areas are either good or bad, they aren't all mixed up together in the same way. To put it quite simply there are nice middle class areas and there are nice working class areas. There are also skanky working class areas. Where you live probably depends a lot on what kind of pubs and facilities that you want to have around you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Nottmlad

Thanks for the replies, never done anything like this before and a bit daunting if I go it alone but I am only an hour away from home thanks to Ryanairs cheap flights! Not sure if getting a flat first and job when i get there is better maybe I will need to save first before I come so I have a few months to sort myself out :confused:
    Wish I was leaving tomorrow :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Affable

Monkey61 wrote: »
    hey,

You are going to love Dublin after England! I'm a Dubliner living in England and I absolutely hate it! The people really aren't the same, although you being from the north of England is better, cos you're a lot more similar to us than southerners in many ways. You'll absolutely be accepted - just as long as you remember that we are a lot more relaxed, open minded and our humour is a lot more politically incorrect, self-deprecating and we like to take the piss out of other people a lot so don't be offended. (I'm not obviously tarring all English folks with the same brush -but theses are the major differences I'm seeing since moving here). On the whole we are a hell of a lot more open and friendly too!

Are you living in London, out of interest?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 LynseyH

I deffinetly would no reccommend moving here. Im 18 and cant wait to move out of Dublin. Its a total nacker hole now. Crime rate is soaring, Economy will take a fall soon and not to mention its very expensive to live here. The nightlife also is useless...during the week its like the city centre is a ghost town.

Ive travelled alot, to many other European countries, The USA Australia...and they have offer alot more than dublin does. You would be crazy to move here if you havn't travelled to many other cities before.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

LynseyH wrote: »
    I deffinetly would no reccommend moving here. Im 18 and cant wait to move out of Dublin. Its a total nacker hole now. Crime rate is soaring, Economy will take a fall soon and not to mention its very expensive to live here. The nightlife also is useless...during the week its like the city centre is a ghost town.

Ive travelled alot, to many other European countries, The USA Australia...and they have offer alot more than dublin does. You would be crazy to move here if you havn't travelled to many other cities before.

Rubbish. Your 18 and an expert in Dublins night life? I doubt it. During the week Dublin is great fun, pubs aren't jammers, but lively. I have travelled extensively and love the tourist parts of most cities I go to ;). Crime rate is very small compared to US cities.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭IanCurtis

Ah the naivety of youth! How I remember it well!!

:pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

:confused:
    Ireland isn't the only country going through recession.
    Also, the whole of Dublin isn't a total nacker hole... there are areas here and there that aren't very nice/rough, but again, the same can be said about every country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭ozchick

Travelling to a place is a lot different to living there! Funny how the some younger people can't wait to get away from where they live!

There is crime and everything you talk of in any city, I hate to tell you. Even hear it is well on the increase in Oz now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

I moved over from England two years ago and although I am working in London for a few months, there is no way I would move back to England.

Firstly, being English isn't too much of a problem, as long as you watch yourself in certain areas. Where I live there are quite a few english families and, for example, I watched England destroy Ireland in my local and didn't get a bad word said when i cheered very loudly (But after putting up with constant re-runs of the Ireland v England game last year and 12 months of stick about it, I felt I had earned the right to be a bit cocky:D). Having said that, if you did the same in some pubs you would be lucky to get out alive, but its no different to walking into a pub in Derby and cheering for forest I suppose.

You have to bite your tongue sometimes because you will come across a few people who try and hold you personally for 800 years of opression, but in general being English isn't a problem. you also see a diffeent side to the English when you are here, especially if you go to temple bar on a saturday afternoon. Then you realise why everyone avoids us abroad:o

I live in south Dublin, near Dun Laoghaire and although the prices are a bit steep here, it is a good place to live, although the job front is not looking good at the moment which is why I am communting to London every monday morning, which a lot of people do by the way.

Like you say, a flight home is cheap enough if you book well in advance so you will get back to Nottingham plenty of times and the night life here is amazing, even better than nottingham (Although I haven't been there since the last time pompey played forest). You will find that a lot of your mates will want to come over for weekend, so you will keep in touch with them easier than you think.

PM me if you want more advice, then i can tell you what the Irish are REALLY like:D

Advertisement