Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Upgrading

• 24-06-2008 8:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭

Hello
    Just looking for some help and information.
    i have been driving bikes since i was 16 and am now 27
    i have a full A license
    and have up to now always driven automatic bikes.
    i currently own a yamaha 250 xmax
    and drive from athy to leopardstown every weekday
    so every day i do 160km
    so after 18 months of owning my current bike i have over 48,000km.
    which is too much for my current bike to go on, even though i would like it to last another year, everyone around me says it wont.

i am looking for advice on what type of bike i should go for,
    i would need a geared bike,
    would prefer a bike with faring, for protection.
    and would prefer a new bike
    and would have €10k to spend.
    any advice would be greatly appreciated.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,109 ✭✭✭sutty

for the kinda mileage your doing I would say something like a Honda Varadero 1000. Bullet proof bikes, comfy and fun to drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

rameire wrote: »
    i have a full A license
    and have up to now always driven automatic bikes.

If you passed your test on an automatic you would be only licensed to ride automatics, and would need a learner permit for a geared bike, with all that implies (no pillions, no motorways, no use outside ROI, power restriction, L-tabard.) :(

Scrap the cap!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

^ what ninja900 said.

When you get the logistics sorted Id recommend a honda deauville. The fairing is bulletproof too (presumably you will be passing the curragh every day! ;)) It has side storage panniers too. The new model is 700cc with fuel injection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

+1 on what the guys said above.

For that kind of mileage and distance, you'll be looking at a touring machine, varadeo, deauville, pan, bm rt etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭rameire

ninja900 wrote: »
    If you passed your test on an automatic you would be only licensed to ride automatics, and would need a learner permit for a geared bike, with all that implies (no pillions, no motorways, no use outside ROI, power restriction, L-tabard.) :(

should have said i passed my test on a geared bike.
    and thank you all, i appreciate it, at least now i know what to start looking at.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I think I'll veer off the beaten path on this one a bit.........the Varadero is a fine bike, no doubt, but not exactly a small bike, and it isn't light on juice, either.

And, if you're bike is well maintained, and has served 48k kms so far, I see no reason for it to just up sticks, either. If you want to change, fine. Actually, your 48k bike might be handy as back up, for when your new, bigger bike, won't start.......:D ........it's my experience that any unit, well used and well serviced, outlasts a so-called 'better' one, with less, or unsuited use.

A good old CBR600 would also serve very well - it's 160kms you're doing, not going to the Sahara........likewise a Thundercat or ZZR-6. All good, all competent, and not being the 'flavour of the month'........all reasonable to buy and cheap to run.

I've have had 10+ RT's, some GS's both 1150 and 1200, and spent 16yrs exclusively on BeeEmms, until last year.. - and fine bikes as they are, as traffic bikes, they're poor, and not cheap to run - on parts or service, and nothing like as reliable as a Jap bike. It's just a fact of life, that's all. Me? I'd like to try one of the new GS800's.........plenty quick enough, and only 2 pots to maintain.........like a kind of upscale TDM. (Also very good, btw, as a high mileage bike). Great in traffic, too, upright riding position, chuckable, and torquey. Miles better than a Deauville.

Don't knock big automatics, though. I have an Aprilia Atlantic 500, and there's nothing like it to get 'ordinary' bikers very....mad !!.........I'd love to try a Burgman 650 as a commuting tool, but my mileage is small - your's sounds ideal.........and the 650 would be well capable of embarassing a lot of so-called 'real bikes'......

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

If i was in your position i would get a honda hornet, and get a belly pan on it so it's at least partially faired ;)

went looking at bikes today, went to carlow motorcycles and bikeworld, saw a deauville with 17,000 mles was an 01 and for €6k, also a pan european a 98 for €6.5k with supposedly 5600 miles id say it was really 105600 miles though.
    really like the new deauville both shops had it for €10,900, and will get a trade-in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,518 ✭✭✭✭Esel

ninja900 wrote: »
    Never knew that! Thought it only applied to cars?
    galwaytt wrote: »
    ......likewise a ZZR-6.
    Put a few quid aside for the chiropractor! :D

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 wendyboo

went off yesterday to look at gettin a new bike,at the min drivin a dragstar 650, but just want something little more torquey, anyway tried the deauville,the shadow,bmw f800, and then fell for honda vtx.
    thought it might be too heavy but it feels really good and with shorter legs its a great height.
    Anyone any info on them?

• Advertisement

cheers for the help, got the new bike.
    pic attached.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Congrats on the purchases! Happy riding!

Advertisement