Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

WMP11/TVersity Streaming Problem

• 24-06-2008 8:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭

Hi

I have been trying to connect an Xbox 360 wirelessly to my laptop so that I can use WMP11/TVersity to stream videos etc.

I am using a Netgear WGR614v7 router on NTL Broadband. I set up a static IP of 192.168.1.36 and then forwarded the ports listed by Microsoft (1900, 2869, 10243, 10280-10284) from the router homepage.

When I select Computer on the Xbox media screen it tests the connection and returns the following:

Network Adapter: Wired
    Wireless Network
    IP Address: Confirmed
    PC Selected: Failed

Can anyone tell me why the PC Selected is coming back with Failed and advise me on how to fix this?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 682 ✭✭✭Bros123

Make sure that media sharing is turned on in WMP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

TVersity tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭nialldinho

Bros123 wrote: »
    Make sure that media sharing is turned on in WMP.

Sorry, forgot to mention I did that.
    kaimera wrote: »
    TVersity tbh.

I'll try that but I figured this problem is to do with the connection rather than the software. But I could be wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

If you have a software firewall running on your PC (not just the one on the Router) check to make sure that certain ports are open for traffic between the PC and 360. You could try to temporarily disable the firewall, and see if it works then.

If it works, I think the Ports are:
    TCP 2869
    UDP 1900

Remember you only need to open these specifically for the internal IP for your XBox 360 (or other media device) to the PC - you don't need to open it for all communication.

I switched to TVersity a good while ago and it worked a whole lot better that WMP 11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

+1 for TVersity, you need to deactivate WMP media sharing to get it working and open your firewall ports like the previous poster said. Might work better if you had a wired connection though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭mika27

I had the same problem when I first used TVersity, I disabled WMP media sharing, like MayoForSam says, and it worked fine then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭nialldinho

I think my friend has the XBox connected to the router with a cable. Does this have an impact on streaming wirelessly from the laptop?

If not here's what's happening now.

OK. So I have decided to undo all the crap I did yesterday.

Now I have only done the following:

Installed TVersity.

Allowed its media server full access in my Norton 360 firewall.

I haven't forwarded any ports on the router or any other ones on the firewall.

Turned off media sharing in WMP11.

Still getting the same error.

1) Do I need to set up a static IP and forward ports on the router?

2) Do I need to forward ports on the firewall?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

ok i had a problem with streaming to my xbox a few days ago,its fixed but its wired. I use Tversity and media sharing is enabled and it runs perfectly,detects the folders straight away,though it loses connection when it tries to play the file(though it does list everything in the file) when i try it wirelessly from my laptop to my netgear router

Advertisement