Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Building Control Institute

• 24-06-2008 9:48pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭

Should we join the IBCI?
    Its a national Institute, made up of Fire Officers, Engineers,Chartered Surveyors, County Council Engineers and Technicians.
    It had a very clear route to membership.
    It is affilliated to European Building Control Associations.
    Check out http://www.i-b-c-i.ie/conf.html

It cost €30-00 per year!
    Yes, its incredibily low cost to join.
    The IBCI is accepted by AIB for certification!
    (Could the IATGN take a feather out of its cap? re: membership fee & AIB!)

The Portloaise 10 applied but were told that the IBCI is revising its membership requirements. Awful pity but I remain positive.
    I understand the application form is still downloadable from their web site.

I think its still worth considering as they hold a yearly conference €300, to discuss changes to Building Control. We have had alot of complicated changes over the last few years. Document B & L comes to mind.
    This is a excellent way to update your knowledge and discuss daily issues with fire officers etc... sort of joining the Dark Side for a day or two - great help if you are self employed.

Inspection, design and certification of compliance with Building Control is still one of our main roles. Just look at their Conference material - very helpful pdf.

Can an Institude "change" its own membership routes / rules without notice? While still displaying their membership form on their web site?

The more I get into this the more layers I find and the more worried I become!

I never wanted to form an alternative to the IATGN, I just wanted to do something.

I hope IATGN can do something soon, five years could be four years too late! Its failure to tackle relevant issues (AIB) and closure of its forum could prove fatal.
    Yet, like No.6 I am prepared to wait and keep the faith!

One things for sure, we really need this forum, to communicate, pass on knowledge, swap ideas, experiences and try and incourage our workmates, friends, associates etc to get involved...... we need to move forward together.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Sounds good RKQ . Lets know if the joining criteria is clarified . Looking at the application form ( on their homepage ) you would imagine that AT's would be welcomed .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭No6

Any word from those who know some of the people in the IBCI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,546 ✭✭✭✭Poor Uncle Tom

No changes there tey guys. I am told it will take until late September before they will have the new criteria for membership. I suspect, again from what I am told, that they are introducing a 10 year rule for those without a degree. I will update when I know more.

is that going to be level 8 degrees???:rolleyes:

Dont Know, No.6, will find out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

No6 wrote: »
    Any word from those who know some of the people in the IBCI

Anyone ever hear back from the IBCI?
    I seem to remember that changes to their application requirments were to be announced.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,787 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

we, in our office, never heard a dicky bird back from them....

Its a strange setup though, when an association has no address, no contact phone number, no advertised joining criteria but yet are accepted as being an 'accrediated association' by the AIB...!!?!?!?!? :eek::confused:

Not strange Syd its very Irish!!! :D

I'll see if I can get an update, I got a contact name, address and phone number downstairs. They told me I would know by last September...:eek:

No reply at the phone number I have, all afternoon yesterday I was knocking, no answer. I dropped him a letter yesterday evening, he answered the last one within a week. I will be back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,270 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I'll be back.
    Cheers Arnie :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

Would this not be restricted to professionals employed as Building Control Officers.

topcatcbr wrote: »
    Would this not be restricted to professionals employed as Building Control Officers.

No. Their membership requirements were quite straight forward and were list on their site. Might still be!
    Check out http://www.i-b-c-i.ie/conf.html

I received an invite to join afew years ago. It was so cheap to join, about £20, I thought it was a con! More fool me!:D
    Wish I could find that letter now.

Bump.:cool:

Just got my reply,

Associate: Ordinary Degree (Level 7) or equivalent in architecture, eng....and be engaged in carrying out building control activities and be over 20 years of age.

Member: Honors Degree (Level 8) or equivalent in architecture, eng...and be engaged in carrying out building control activities and be over 25 years of age and have at least 2 years post grad experience.

They were reviewing their entry criteria last year, have they done this yet or was this their old criteria??

This is fresh off the press, No.6.

Changes to IBCI Bye-Laws on Membership adopted by the EGM held in the Bloomfield House Hotel, Tullamore Road, Mullingar, Co. Westmeath on Friday, 7th November, 2008.

1.1 Associate

At the time of application, each candidate for election to the class of Associate shall:
    (a) be not less then 20 years of age, and
    (b) possess an Ordinary Degree (Level 7) or equivolant in architecture, engineering, or other relevant discipline, satisfactory to the Council, and
    (c) be engaged in carrying out Building Control responsibilities of a nature satisfactory to the Council.

1.2 Member

At the time of application, each candidate for election to the class of Member shall:
    (a)
    1. be not less then 25 years of age, and
    2. posses an Honours Degree (Level 8) or equivolent in architecture, engineering, or other relevant disepline, satisfactory to the council, and
    3. be engaged in carrying out Building Control responsibilities of a nature satisfactory to the Council, and
    4. have at least 2 years satisfactory post-graduate experience in carrying out such Building Control responsibilities.

or,

(b)
    1. be not less then 35 years of age, and
    2. be a member of the institute at the grade of Associate for the previous 5 years, and
    3. at the time of application for transfer to Member, be engaged in carrying out Building Control responsibilities of a nature satisfactory to the Council, and
    4. have at least 10 years experience in carrying out such responsibilities.

1.3 Fellow

At the time of nomination, each candidate eligible for transfer to the class of Fellow shall:
    (a) be not less then 35 years of age, and
    (b) be a member of the institute at the grade of Member for the previous 5 years, and
    (c) have, in the opinion of the Council, made a significant contribution to the institute.

Great news - when does this start?
    November 2008 was quite a while ago. Circa 5 months :confused:
    I assumed those that applied last May would hear from the IBCI.

Still its another choice for Arch Techs, as its based in Ireland and holds a weekend conference on Building Control - which has got to be a great CPD!

Just found out today that the final date to book this months annual Conference in Ballyconnell, Co. Cavan was yesterday 13th March!

(Cost circa €370 for 2 days - hotel room cost circa €75 per night - PM for details)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

Definitely worth making an application.

Did last year,
    Refused entry last Thursday:(

Yet again the famous level 7 qualification rears its ugly head, How many of us have level 8 (i know a few down the waterford direction do!) We can now be associates whoo hooo!!! for 5 years before becoming members. Just what I always wanted!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭pseudo-tech

No6 wrote: »
    Yet again the famous level 7 qualification rears its ugly head, How many of us have level 8 (i know a few down the waterford direction do!) We can now be associates whoo hooo!!! for 5 years before becoming members. Just what I always wanted!!!

I have level nine but i am sticking with the CIAT. I believe that IBCI is only a sticking plaster for Technicians in order for the AIB to accept certificates. I think with the slow down in our industry we need to look at the big picture and plan for when things finally pick up again in the future. It's important not to be caught out again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

I have level nine but i am sticking with the CIAT. I believe that IBCI is only a sticking plaster for Technicians in order for the AIB to accept certificates. I think with the slow down in our industry we need to look at the big picture and plan for when things finally pick up again in the future. It's important not to be caught out again!

Bravo I agree 100%. The IBCI is not what we are about (most of us). We are not building control officers.

There is a place for everything and everything in its place. This is not the place for us. Just my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭archtech

Bravo I agree 100%. The IBCI is not what we are about (most of us). We are not building control officers.

There is a place for everything and everything in its place. This is not the place for us. Just my opinion.

I don't believe that IBCI should be our sole representative body, but for anyone involved in making submissions to the building control authority, it may be no harm to be a member of its representative body, if eligible to join and the cost is minimal. Furthermore one would never know what one might learn, particularly if looking at things from a different side of the fence/perspective. Membership could also be useful, in having the edge for competitiveness, if it opens doors to CPD/information events on how the building control authorities are going to assess new or revised regulations.

It should not be a case of us and them in terms of building control, at the end of the day we are all aiming to achieve the same thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,270 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I dont think anyone ever suggested that they would in any way represent us. its still no harm though to have an extra poker in the fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭ConfusedTech

Hey guys. Believe it or not, only just noted this post!!!

As a member of the Portlaoise 10, I submitted an application to the IBCI, in fact not as a route to certification, but once I read their site I really thought that what they were about was closer to me then what many of the other institutions offered.

I saw that there was a good grounds there to get good CPDs, courses and also get invovled in possibly setting up more. IN my opinion there was a good synergy.

One year on, I got my reply and got turned down by the institution, as they changed their entry criteria, as noted above. I can only say that I am not happy with this approach, as I made my application under the criteria set out on their own forms at the time.

I will be taking this up with them, as I find it very discriminating, and yet another let-down in my own path to becoming a professional member somewhere!

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭ConfusedTech

Does anybody know who governs institutions like this one, as I would like to get advise on whether or not this is accepted practice by institutions?

Hey guys. Believe it or not, only just noted this post!!!

As a member of the Portlaoise 10, I submitted an application to the IBCI, in fact not as a route to certification, but once I read their site I really thought that what they were about was closer to me then what many of the other institutions offered.

I saw that there was a good grounds there to get good CPDs, courses and also get invovled in possibly setting up more. IN my opinion there was a good synergy.

One year on, I got my reply and got turned down by the institution, as they changed their entry criteria, as noted above. I can only say that I am not happy with this approach, as I made my application under the criteria set out on their own forms at the time.

I will be taking this up with them, as I find it very discriminating, and yet another let-down in my own path to becoming a professional member somewhere!

There are a lot of holes in their entry criteria. You could nearly drive a bus through it. Terms like "to the satisfaction of the Council...or equivalent... satisfactory experience" etc. etc. They have really set it up to change the goal posts as they wish. Its wrong really!!

archtech wrote: »
    I don't believe that IBCI should be our sole representative body, but for anyone involved in making submissions to the building control authority, it may be no harm to be a member of its representative body, if eligible to join and the cost is minimal.

It should not be a case of us and them in terms of building control, at the end of the day we are all aiming to achieve the same thing.

I'd agree with that. Building Control goes hand in hand with certificates of compliance etc. It would be a useful organisation to be a member of, based in Ireland and interpeting Irish Building Regulations.

Its revision of its membership criteria has been disappointing and I'd agree with ConfusedTech. I understand that Technicians employed by Councils were eligible for membership but don't seem to accommodated in the new criteria, which seems abit odd as Council Tech's are graded for salary scale etc so setting a criteria for membership to IBCI would seem quite simple.

RKQ wrote: »
    I'd agree with that. Building Control goes hand in hand with certificates of compliance etc. It would be a useful organisation to be a member of, based in Ireland and interpeting Irish Building Regulations.

Technicians who implement Building regulations should be central to the formation of them. It would be great if that could happen.

• Advertisement

What I always found strange was that they were included on the AIB's list of approved bodies when in reality they appear to be all in the public service? Surely as public servants they are prohibited from doing nixer type work! I also agree with some of the posts above it would be a useful body to be a member of to get direct access to the CPD etc, they seem to have good access to dept officials but they seem to be more interested in keeping a closed membership!! in which case I have no interest in having anything further to do with them. Confused tech perhaps you could start with the competition authority, probably woulnt work but you never know.

Advertisement