Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi

Options
  • 24-06-2008 9:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭

Ok, so I've left Tesco and Dunnes for what I see is rip-off station. I shopped in Lidl last week and I definitely saved but I find it hard to do a full shop e.g. no Laughing Cow, Mi Wadi and stuff like that. Anyhow, I said I'd try Aldi this week and I was totally addled after about 10 minutes. No.1 problem is that the stock was all over the place. Fair play to Tesco and Dunnes who can lay out their shops nicely, but my head is wrecked trying to take in all the products stuck together e.g. condoms near the food products??! No. 2 was the 20 customers at the checkout with one checkout being operated even though there was management parading around looking at stock etc and No. 3 and this goes for Lidl too, the silence in the shop, I can hear my own thoughts! Could they not invest in some crappy supermarket music or something??!!!! Headed off to Lidl after I bought a few things and did the rest of my shopping there.

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭castie

Shop cheap...expect cheap treatment and services.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

You get what you pay for, if you want to shop in the cheapest supermarket you're going to have to accept that service. Think of them as the Ryanair of supermarkets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Its like that so they can save money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

I love Lidl and Aldi myself, great food in those places

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

no laughing cow and mi-wadi?? i'm very sure that both aldi and lidl have similar products although probably at a fraction of the cost!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

foggy_lad wrote: »
    no laughing cow and mi-wadi?? i'm very sure that both aldi and lidl have similar products although probably at a fraction of the cost!

A probably re-named a cheesey alternative such as my-waddy or cheerful cow.

Nothing wrong with lidl or aldi, once you get your head around their budget store layouts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,251 ✭✭✭ongarite

Can't fault Aldi or Lidl IMO. The layout is fine, once you familiarize yourself with them. Super cheap and great household cleaning products, cheese, juices, prawns, chocolate, biscuits, popcorn.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Actually, there's no music in Dunnes at the moment. Why don't you stick to a combination of Tesco/Dunnes and Lidl/Aldi?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭berliner

The Brocli in Lidl is half the price it is in Tesco and Dunnes.We're paying a high price for the "music and service " in those stores.Lidl and aldi are superb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Buy and mp3 player and listen to some music.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I always do the main shop in aldi, and anything that I absolutely need that they don't have that I need (baby food etc) go to dunnes for.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

Aldi is great once you get used to the cheap and cheerful layout of the shop. I find their cereals, bread, juice and fruit and veg brilliant at sometimes less than half the price of the usual suspects. I do my main shop there and for the odd thing I can't get I use Tesco/Dunnes. Like someone else said, they keep their shops basic so that we get the benefit, ie cheap products. Where's the harm in that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Why don't Lidl have baskets? Do Aldi?
    I've been in a few stores and it's trollies or nothing.

Some people don't buy that much and some people can't fit a lot of shopping on a moped :D

Dunno, I wish they had baskets but all stores are like this. Trollies are just awkward if you're picking up 5 or 6 items
    BreeVdK wrote: »
    Could they not invest in some crappy supermarket music or something??!!!! e

Probably have to pay for a broadcast licence and they'll do anything to save money.

I'm surprised that people would give out about having to use their eyes, to figure out the layout of a shop the size of Aldi or Lidl.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

micmclo wrote: »
    Why don't Lidl have baskets? Do Aldi?
    I've been in a few stores and it's trollies or nothing.
    People buy more with trolleys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

Also their products are usually stocked on the shelf in small cardboard boxes which people use in place of baskets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,900 ✭✭✭Terrontress

The dilute drinks in Lidl are really good. Mi Wadi is chemical nonsense. This stuff is called "whole juice" or something like that. It's as cheap as you'd expect in Lidl, has high fruit content and doesn't need alot of dilution.

As per the music. I know of a chain of three prominent Dublin pubs, which always promoted live music by young bands, that have been forced out of business by IMRO in relation to money they wanted for them having been playing recorded music.

Also, IMRO were on the front page of Metro recently threatening to shut down the Electric Picnic for something similar.

I'd be happy if the whole of Ireland got together for a week and didn't play any background music anywhere just to teach those people at IMRO a lesson. It mustn't be cheap to play the music. I'd say if Lidl started playing background music, IMRO would have a go at shutting them down too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 630 ✭✭✭ruprect

I went drinking in the field last week, fecking disgraceful, no music, no toilets, no women, no seats, warm beer.

Saved a few quid alright, but never again, back to my local in future. ;)

I wear earphones in tesco to drown out the crap music, and it sickens me to think my goods cost more because a portion is going towards that music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭Musha

Happy Cow in Aldi :D Their blackcurrant high juice is far better than tesco/dunnes. I have resorted to tesco online at the minute due to broken ankle but i'll be back to Aldi in a couple of weeks :D

Can get the full shop in there for €30 cheaper than TUS and more junk cannot resist the sweet cake selection. :D

Aldi and Lidl are better by far than the others and if people are that pampered they need to shop in tesco's for the piped advertising and the stalls pushing bits of cooked sausage on you to get more money out of you then they should stick to the dearer stores!

i have always found Aldi and Lidl easy to get around and well stocked except in the evenings but they also have wider aisles and there is less of that crap that people buy simple because it is there so the weekly shopping is at least 30% cheaper! also getting through the till with the shopping is so quick and easy when you don't have someone packing your shopping for you and there are no credit cards or cheques to be checked out so the whole operation is much smoother and less stressful than tiresome tesco's!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I can't recall if Tesco play music anymore. I can't say it's something that would bring me in. Also, every Tesco and Dunnes has a different layout, where as Lidl and Aldi both have practically the same layout in every singe store. Once you know where things are, it's the same in all their other stores, which is very handy.

The reason for no baskets, is that both stores official policy is: no bagging at the checkout. It runs quicker if you just bung everything into the trolley and bag elsewhere. Baskets, or people (like me) who just use the bag, can slow things down. I do agree with the OP on queues and lack of open tills, that's often the case, in both chains, and in any of their stores.

LOL@Cheerful Cow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭raido9

Completely disagree with OP.

Ok it takes you one visit to get used to where everything is, after that its good food, at a fraction of the price.

Keep up the good work Aldi

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Aldi & Lidl are a godsend, if it were'nt for their presence we'd be paying even higher grocery prices since the four major chains all match (not compete) on prices.
    At least the OP acknowledges that they definitely saved money in shopping at Aldi.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Äre you aware that to play music, you need TWO different licences.

They are hard discounters and strip out anything that costs them money.

For more information look up PPI and IMRO

I know, I have had one in my shop already and am getting pain in the ass letters from the other.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Gazza22

They have the Ryanair philosophy, no frills, cheap prices...

You have to accept the negatives of shopping there e.g untidy environement, afterall the prices are so low!

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭DéiseGirl

I really like both Aldi and Lidl and I'd say a LOT more people will be shopping with them in the coming months. Out of the two I think Aldi have better quality product but the nearest branch is a 20 minute drive away whereas there is a Lidl around the corner from me so I tend to do most of my shopping in Lidl, then stockpile things that I like from Aldi every six weeks or so. Do a shop in Dunnes or Tesco maybe once a month for things that Lidl/Aldi don't stock. Not to mention the bi-annual trip oop North to Sainsburys. I spend way too much time grocery shopping :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

Gazza22 wrote: »

You have to accept the negatives of shopping there e.g untidy environement, afterall the prices are so low!

Last time I was in a Tesco the place was a disgrace,I've never seen a Lidl/Aldi that untidy.

Gazza22 wrote: »

any time i've been to tesco's in carlow it has been like a disaster area! crates boxes trolleys and pallets lift lying around all over the shop.

in aldi and lidl they use the large cardboard pallet frames for putting other boxes etc into and these are very easy to get by with your trolley! also they are far tidyier than tesco's or super value or even superquin which i thought was quite dirty considering their reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

3 reasons why i prefer Aldi/Lidl over Dunnes/tesco and the likes

1. Price
    2. Assortment. No endless amounts of ham and turkey only. Aldi and Lidl actually have stuff i like to put on my bread!
    3. No Music. Brilliant!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭BreeVdK

Ok, ok, I agree with the fact I'd prefer cheaper products and no music to inflated prices to pay for the music. I guess it just takes a bit of getting used to and I refuse to go back to Dunnes/Tesco. I know the standard of products in Aldi/Lidl are just as good if not sometimes better than the aforementioned so I'm all for them.

Advertisement