Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aldi

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Saw this today in a UK newspaper, where ASDA and Tesco are about to start price war on the basics:

Paul Foley, Aldi UK managing director, said: “For those who need a store with piped music, a choice of 42 yoghurts and who can’t pack their own shopping bag, then perhaps Aldi’s not for them. But for those who want a guaranteed quality at low prices, then the current economic climate simply makes Aldi an even more obvious choice.”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

I also love the fact there's no music! Nothing depresses me like Eye of the Tiger blaring at 8am. :p

I'm probably biased from living in Germany for some summers, so used to the layout of the stores. Lots of items are of better quality than Tesco, especially things like yoghurts/cheese, none of the sweetners and weird bean gums and preservativies that are in the same priced Tesco value stuff. Also Lidl/Aldi are great marking things suitable for vegetarians, and on the carnivore side, a lot of their sausages contain more pork than tesco/dennys/etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭tippbhoy

Buy cheap, get cheap. simple as really.

It costs extra to pay people to stack shelves and they don't bother. works for them and plenty others.They also don't take credit cards because they won't pay the commission etc etc.

I must point out the fact that we shoot ourselves in the foot by not buying Irish and keeping jobs elsewhere. Such is globalisation I guess :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

tippbhoy wrote: »
    I must point out the fact that we shoot ourselves in the foot by not buying Irish and keeping jobs elsewhere. Such is globalisation I guess :rolleyes:

Swings and roundabouts. Irish prices too high....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭old boy

know a gal, sayes shes a buyer for aldi , recons the stuff is the sames as dunnes, only diff packing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭tippbhoy

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Swings and roundabouts. Irish prices too high....

I agree, but at 4/5% inflation for the decade that's what you get

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Mollywolly

As for tippbhoy's comment about not buying Irish, I've just been to Aldi today and a lot of their fruit and veg is irish, so are the rashers, sausage (premium ones are yummy and just as good as Superquinn's!), chicken, ham, etc.....need I go on? :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

old boy wrote: »
    know a gal, sayes shes a buyer for aldi , recons the stuff is the sames as dunnes, only diff packing

You mean they are the exact same product? Or made by the same factory?
    The half-coated chocolate biscuits in Aldi & Lidl for 60c are made by McVities.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

only started going to Aldi/Lidl recently because I'm sick of the rip off in Dunnes & Tesco, in the past few months I've seen a 20% rise in our shopping bills so I'm hoping the lads from Germany will help me cut costs.

As someone already said here, Aldi/Lidl have the same layout across the whole store which is great (once I get used to it!), I HATE the way Tesco constantly change their layout, especially in Mahon Point:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

MOH wrote: »
    Last time I was in a Tesco the place was a disgrace,I've never seen a Lidl/Aldi that untidy.

I lived next to an Aldi until recently and only went in twice in a year because it was so untidy and all over the place.

Having said that, the Dunnes next to it was not just untidy, but filthy.

I shopped in neither place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 345 ✭✭Trx

Aldi s Product even have similar packaging...

These are known in the trade as Looki Likeys !!!
    I cod you not !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I'm depressed now - I didn't realise that Aldi didn't have music. Now I'll miss it when I go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Do aldi/lidl give farmers a fair deal?

Don't mind the two, was weird listening to Don Maclean while doing a late shop in Superquinn.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Most of aldi /lidls product is imported and alot of their "Irish" produce is from the north -- which before the nationalists jump on me -- is a seperate state for tax and employment and therefore is an import.

we may well reap what we sow if we continue down the discounter route, we may well have cheap products but no jobs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 109 ✭✭DO0GLE

Having music in store equals IMRO (Irish Music Rights Organisation) demanding and being entitled to fees from that store. This goes for every pub, shop, restaurant, etc

No music means cheaper operating costs.

Also, the more checkouts that are open, the more employees they have to pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Out of interest does anyone know what kind figure IMRO would be be looking for from Aldi if they played music in the store?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

I'm depressed now - I didn't realise that Aldi didn't have music. Now I'll miss it when I go.

All the more reason to shop there. At least you won't have to listen to "Jingle Bells" for the next three months.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Well they could play unlicensed awful free music that no-one's ever heard before, Dunnes and Tesco played it for a few months, Dunnes is back to the normal licensed stuff, dunno if Tesco is. It can't be THAT expensive if tiny little shops can play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

IMRO used to base thier costs on the capacity of the premises ie a pub probably same for a shop.

Advertisement