Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Please turn your lights on!

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

BTW, you can have a system fitted to your car that uses the headlights as running lights - like the system Volvo uses. That means that your headlights will always be on once the engine is running, and you wont have anything that looks like foglamps turned on.

These systems are usually set up so that the headlamps run on reduced power (not the full 60W) and the rear lights don't come on either.
    While that saves fuel, I find that the daytime running lamps on Saabs and Volvos are usually a bit dim, almost to the point of defeating the purpose

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

waraf wrote: »
    You're getting a little confused there I think. Bikers don't want cars to have their lights on during the day but they want all bikes to have them on instead. This means that if a car driver looks in his/her mirror during the day and catches a glimpse of a light in his/her rearview mirror he/she will know there is a bike approaching and can move out of the way.

Actually that brings up another point. If you're in a car and a bike is approaching from behind get out of the way. They are faster than you and many bikers will end up undertaking or filtering which is dangerous (PS I'm not a biker but an ex one)

bikers dont necessarily want the cars to move out of the way, once the cage driver knows theres a bike there thats sufficient enough. its when the cars dont know theres bike there or indeed dont look, when the problems occur!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

kceire wrote: »
    if you look at the heading on the page - it says FULL LIST
    About Penalty Points
    The Full List of Current Offences

Not getting pedantic but it's not the full list, there are vehicle offences too. In total there are actually 69 offences that can be pointed http://www.penaltypoints.ie/vehicle_offences.php

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

kceire wrote: »
    bikers dont necessarily want the cars to move out of the way, once the cage driver knows theres a bike there thats sufficient enough. its when the cars dont know theres bike there or indeed dont look, when the problems occur!

which brings us back to the issue of whether cars should have their lights on during the day

PS when I rode a bike I always wanted you to get out of the way. My bike did 0-60 in less than 3 seconds and I had no radio to keep me entertained.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

bladespin wrote: »
    Not getting pedantic but it's not the full list, there are vehicle offences too. In total there are actually 69 offences that can be pointed http://www.penaltypoints.ie/vehicle_offences.php

Those offences are not yet active, it says at the top "Offences highlighted in bold are active penalty point offences."

None of them are in bold. Yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Always drove with my lights on when I was riding motorcycles. For visibility of course. My last bike had a dipped light setting by default with the option to switch to go a full beam. Got in a little panic the day before the test because err I couldn't switch the lights off. As for the car I turn them on if it is starting to get dark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Wait, why would bikers not want cars to have lights on to improve their visibility? I would assume given the speed and maneuverability and "different" driving methods that come with that they would want full awareness of hazards at all times.. seeing a car 0.5sec faster could be a big deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

caesar wrote: »
    :D

Haha what I wrote didn't make perfect sense but you got it.

BTW liking the DRL's peasent, wouldn't be that easy to do with a car though, would they? I'm assuming you added them rather than just changing the existing setup. On another note aren't they compulsory in france.

eh yes there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

cormie wrote: »
    Folks, please don't leave turning your lights on until it's "dark". I personally always have mine on, even on the sunniest of days, which I know some of you may disagree with, but in weather like we're having now, please keep them on at all times. It's very difficult in the lashings of rain to see what's in the wing mirrors of my van and with this being my only vision of what's behind/beside me, lights help A LOT.

Bulbs are very cheap in the grand scale of driving so please don't worry ;)

and will people please not drive around with front/rear fog lights turned on. They are bright, distracting and illegal when not foggy.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭waraf

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Wait, why would bikers not want cars to have lights on to improve their visibility? I would assume given the speed and maneuverability and "different" driving methods that come with that they would want full awareness of hazards at all times.. seeing a car 0.5sec faster could be a big deal.

The problem isn't bikers seeing cars, it's car drivers seeing bikes (especially before they change lanes or pull out from a junction :rolleyes:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 679 ✭✭✭polyfusion

and will people please not drive around with front/rear fog lights turned on. They are bright, distracting and illegal when not foggy.

I agree, only when it's foggy. It's a real pain, more so when it's wet at night, because with the state of many roads and how the water doesn't drain quickly, with the reflection, there is an enormous amount of light coming from these cars.

And while I'm here, do Peugeots 206's permenantly have the front fogs on when the ignition is switched on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

Cionád wrote: »
    Those offences are not yet active, it says at the top "Offences highlighted in bold are active penalty point offences."

None of them are in bold. Yet.

Does that not just mean you can't be done 'on the spot', my understanding is a court can award points against those offences if thay see fit.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

polyfusion wrote: »
    I agree, only when it's foggy. It's a real pain, more so when it's wet at night, because with the state of many roads and how the water doesn't drain quickly, with the reflection, there is an enormous amount of light coming from these cars.

Too many fools out on the road driving with their fog lights on. No need at all for it.

The sooner the better that the Gardai clamp down on it ... not specifically stopping someone for driving with fogs on, but if they're stopped for something else, then just remind people to turn off their fog lights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭Theta

I have to say i drive with my lights on all the time. I used to turn them on by habit but my current car its the default setting which is handy. No forgetting to turn them on at night for me!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

Does that not just mean you can't be done 'on the spot', my understanding is a court can award points against those offences if thay see fit.

afaik they are gradually phasing in each of the 69 offences. The failure to display NCT was an inactive offense until a few months ago when it became active and all hell broke loose.

The website could just be out-of-date either though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭BlackWizard

irlmarc wrote: »
    I have to say i drive with my lights on all the time. I used to turn them on by habit but my current car its the default setting which is handy. No forgetting to turn them on at night for me!!

Yeah I heard by default that the fog lights get turned on so it's often not peoples fault. Is it possible to turn them off this automatic setting?

Do the Nissan Qash.. have these automatic fog lights? I seem to always seem them on.

Yeah I heard by default that the fog lights get turned on so it's often not peoples fault. Is it possible to turn them off this automatic setting?

Do the Nissan Qash.. have these automatic fog lights? I seem to always seem them on.

I dont know my fogs are a seperate button all together just my dips stay on at all times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭bazzachazza

No car make has them on automatic.

No car maker will do that in a Country where it is ILLEGAL to have them on except under certain conditions.

Not getting pedantic but the list i posted is the full current list, the list you posted is not active at this current moment in time.

here is anothe definative list broken down into different categories - http://www.penaltypoints.ie/list_of_offences.php

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

hobochris wrote: »
    Who is this biker you speak of? Nearly all bikers(well all bikers I know) leave there lights on constantly as we need every help we can get to be seen by the vast amount of idiots who seem oblivious to the existence of motorcycles and will appear to be looking us in the eye before they pull out on us or side sweep us.

Indeed, in fact on my bike you can't turn the lights off! If the ignition is on then so is the dipped light.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

waraf wrote: »
    This means that if a car driver looks in his/her mirror during the day and catches a glimpse of a light in his/her rearview mirror he/she will know there is a bike approaching and can move out of the way.

Actually that brings up another point. If you're in a car and a bike is approaching from behind get out of the way. They are faster than you and many bikers will end up undertaking or filtering which is dangerous (PS I'm not a biker but an ex one)

I couldn't care less about cars giving me a bit of room to filter. Of course if they do its nice, but if not fine. Once they realise I'm coming through and don't change lane when I'm parallel with them I'm happy.

dont think they can give you points unless its a penalty points offence. may get a stern talking to by the guard that pulls you over though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

cool... so you're one of those people that blinds me every time I look in my mirror even though it's sunny out...

If people are going to actually do this can you get your beam levels checked, the amount of people with beams at different levels is unreal!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,922 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Daylight running lights are a waste & potentially dangerous. They were first introduced by Volvo but found little support in the rest of the motor industry. The main problem is that whilst the "lights on car" stands out, the other cars, cyclists & pedestrians don't. There was a rumour that Volvo were going to remove them on energy/economy grounds

This is especially true in twighlight which can be a very dangerous time for accidents as some have their lights on & others don't. There can also be a problem in that the Iris in your eye contracts when subjected to light. Even dipped headlights shining at you can be enough to reduce your vision. Try briefly shining a torch at your face & see how long it takes for your full vision to return. Naturally lights should be on in reduced visibility.

The big problem in Ireland is that people either use full beam or nothing at all. I was followed for 5 miles this morning by a Volvo either on full beam or a very badly adjusted dip. The number of people with failed bulbs is amazing & a testimony to the effectiveness of the Traffic Corp.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

Discodog wrote: »
    The big problem in Ireland is that people either use full beam or nothing at all. I was followed for 5 miles this morning by a Volvo either on full beam or a very badly adjusted dip.

When this happens to me, I stick the rear fog light on and off rapidly or just leave it on until they realise!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

By all means have your lights on all the time.

I am all for it, BUT

Make sure your lights are correctly alligned;
    don't assume your park lights are ok, and then when it gets dark you forget to put on full dipped headlights;
    don't put on other lights, unless the weather dictates it;
    don't put on Christmas tree lights - they are just sad;
    don't just look for lights during the day, there are plenty of drivers who do not turn lights on during the day, and what you think is a gap in the traffic might just be a light blue or grey car.

Think before you turn your lights on - use the correct lights for the driving conditions you find yourself in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

I have noticed that with the recent rain fall and the dark dull evenings, that people are starting to switch on their lights more and more as if it is a new trend to have your lights on during the day.

Ladies are still the biggest offenders of driving without lights in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭rgunning

P.C. wrote: »
    don't assume your park lights are ok, and then when it gets dark you forget to put on full dipped headlights;

I don't think it is ever OK. I must say my pet hate is people driving with only parking lights on, especially in poor conditions/dark.

The clue is in the name - they don't call them "driving when it is almost dark or raining" lights. You use them in one situation only.

I'm a lights-on always man (dipped, of course). Thoroughly believe it saves lives and should be the law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

We should implement the amber / red sidelights as seen on American-spec. vehicles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭pcardin

edzillion wrote: »
    excellent rebuttal of the fuel economy argument! I just dont think it has much effect on visibility in the midday sun...

You don't get it, do you? Is not to improve the visibility for you! It helps other driver to see you much better if you driving light on all the time.

• Advertisement

Daylight running lights are a waste & potentially dangerous. They were first introduced by Volvo but found little support in the rest of the motor industry. The main problem is that whilst the "lights on car" stands out, the other cars, cyclists & pedestrians don't. There was a rumour that Volvo were going to remove them on energy/economy grounds

This is especially true in twighlight which can be a very dangerous time for accidents as some have their lights on & others don't. There can also be a problem in that the Iris in your eye contracts when subjected to light. Even dipped headlights shining at you can be enough to reduce your vision. Try briefly shining a torch at your face & see how long it takes for your full vision to return. Naturally lights should be on in reduced visibility.

The big problem in Ireland is that people either use full beam or nothing at all. I was followed for 5 miles this morning by a Volvo either on full beam or a very badly adjusted dip. The number of people with failed bulbs is amazing & a testimony to the effectiveness of the Traffic Corp.

Are you serious !!!!!!

You think that lights should be switched OFF during the day.

Please provide a link to some research that confirms your opinion .

Heres my link to Official research that says lights SHOULD be ON during the day.
    http://ec.europa.eu/transport/wcm/road_safety/erso/safetynet/fixed/WP3/sn_wp3_d3p11c_spi_drl_theory_update_final.pdf

A quote from the above document says
    There is no
    scientific evidence for the frequently mentioned negative effects for vulnerable road
    users (pedestrians, cyclists or motorcyclists).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,922 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Yes I do. I believe that lights should be used in reduced visability but not in good daylight.

As for evidence well I suspect that various reports will make varying conclusions. But it does seem strange that Volvo introduced them many years ago & to date they have only been required in Nordic countries where daylight is much lower than here.

I know that if a line of cars are coming towards me & one has it's lights on it stands out which is good. However I believe that it reduces the visual impact of the other cars in the line. It is easy to focus on the lights & not see the car in front or behind the lit car.

I also believe that whilst DRL's increase the chances of a car being seen by a pedestrian they may reduce the perceived visability of the pedestrian when every car has it's lights on.

I think I will stick to my lights on/DRL's on policy thanks.

Germany, France and others have encouraged or required daytime use of low-beam headlamps on certain roads at certain times of year, Ireland encourages and Bulgaria requires the use of low-beam headlights at all times during winter, Italy, Hungary and Romania require daytime running lamps outside populated areas, and Czech Republic, Estonia, Lithuania, Poland, Slovakia and Slovenia require the use of full or reduced voltage low-beam headlights at all times.

Last time I checked all of those countries are outside the nordic region, so they arent the only ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

Yes I do. I believe that lights should be used in reduced visability but not in good daylight.

What is good daylight? Highly subjective, with the amount of people who don't turn lights on in heavy rain I assume they think it's good daylight
    As for evidence well I suspect that various reports will make varying conclusions. But it does seem strange that Volvo introduced them many years ago & to date they have only been required in Nordic countries where daylight is much lower than here.

Part of Sweden has 24 hour daylight during the summer, Stockholm has 18 hours during the summer [source:Wikipedia]

I know that if a line of cars are coming towards me & one has it's lights on it stands out which is good. However I believe that it reduces the visual impact of the other cars in the line. It is easy to focus on the lights & not see the car in front or behind the lit car.

Surely the aim should be to get all the cars in the line to turn on their lights rather than the one with the lights on to turn them off. Surely that's the safer option

And yes I turn my lights on at all times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

rgunning wrote: »
    I don't think it is ever OK. I must say my pet hate is people driving with only parking lights on, especially in poor conditions/dark.

The clue is in the name - they don't call them "driving when it is almost dark or raining" lights. You use them in one situation only.

I'm a lights-on always man (dipped, of course). Thoroughly believe it saves lives and should be the law.

I have to agree with you on that one. People seem to think parking lights alone are sufficient at night, although in all honesty i'd say a lot of people have no idea what the difference is. They flick a switch/turn a knob, and their dashboard lights up, so as far as they are concerned their lights are on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

i always drive with my lights on. i think its a lot safer as you can be seen quicker and at a further distance. on country roads even more so as high ditches reduce the light even in the bright summer months (well when its not raining) lol. people who drive at dusk or in rain without lights on or with parking lights on should be put off the road!
    also people with fogs on all the time dont bother me one bit. i think badly adjusted lights or someone with only one light working are a lot worse

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭congo_90

Firstly I agree with the op
    Haven't fully read thread just hope it's not gonna turn into fog lights

Today on M50 a truck in front pretty much all but disapeared from view until I saw the brake lights go on from said truck slowing down. This was un-nerving for me as it was lashing rain.

While I have my lights on in low visability/poor weather and night time or sun-set/rise.
    I generally don't use them during the day unless I feel the conditions permit. It's just a judgement call more than a stubborness. Lately I'm using them more often than not though.

I don't like seeing cars with their lights off in poor weather. Spotted a silver punto in the rearview in rain today barely as same with the truck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If mandatory DRL's are such a good idea why has Austria gone back to not mandating DRL's? Is it because people stopped looking and accidents increased? And this is a European country with better driver training then us.
    Austria: since Daytime Running Lights were banned on 1 January 2008, less accidents for road users have been reported.
    (When DRL were introduced into Austria during 2006/07 accidents increased by 12.2%)

Or the Poles have had a 6% increase since they mandated DRL's

http://www.dadrl.org.uk/

When it's raining or dusk then yes dipped headlights should be used, but when the conditions are good and visability OK then no. And if people need cars with DRL's to see them they should have their eyes tested and get glasses or they shouldn't be on the road.

If you can't see a car on a normal day then what hope have vunerable road users got?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭AugustusMaximus

2nd thing I do after turning the key is to turn on my dims, blazinng sunshine or not.

It has an incredibly minor effect on you're fuel economy and may end up saving you're life.

I remember we once had a person in here saying he kept getting blinded by DRL's in board day light. Complete bluffer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

Del2005 wrote: »
    If mandatory DRL's are such a good idea why has Austria gone back to not mandating DRL's? Is it because people stopped looking and accidents increased?
    so if airbags and seat belts were banned would this make people slow down because they wouldn't feel as safe in there cars???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

sean1141 wrote: »
    so if airbags and seat belts were banned would this make people slow down because they wouldn't feel as safe in there cars???

I think it was Jeremy Clarkson who slated the idea of removing seatbelts and airbags, and placing a 10" metal spike on the steering wheel.

I'd guarantee that would get people to slow down :D

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭ev612337

What gets me is all the total twats who insist on driving around with blazing front fog lamps on all the time. They are inconsiderate, rude and stupid motorists. There is no need for them and they add no visibility for the driver in normal driving conditions, they just serve to dazzle on-comming drivers and are likely responsible for many accidents on our roads. I drive extensively throughout Europe and I only see these twats here in Ireland. It's time a campaign was launched to alter the attitude of these moran drivers who think their cars look cool with fogs on at the front, but instead are endangering the lives of other road users, it's a disgrace.
    David
    Newtownforbes
    Longford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭irisheddie85

you should probably read the charter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I'm going to close this, "fog-light" related posts are frowned upon in the motors forum (You're not the only one to hate them....trust me).
    Closed

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement