Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Good Dvds

• 24-06-2008 10:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 762 ✭✭✭

Anyone care to recommend any good live dvds?

My two favs are;
    Metallica - Live sh1t, Seattle
    and
    Children of Bodom - Stockholm Knockout.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

Really depends on the bands you like, doesn't it?

I'm quite partial to these though:

Dream Theater - Live At Budokan
    Death - Live In LA
    G3 - Live In Tokyo
    Emperor - Imperial Live Ceremony

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Pearl Jam's Touring Band 2000 is great. I still haven't got a hold of their other two but Live at the Garden is supposed to be excellent. Immagine in Cornice doesn't look that great, the setlist is quite short for a DVD.

AC/DC's Stiff Upper Lip DVD is good as is the recent Plug Me In 3 disc deluxe edition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,890 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Muse - Hullabaloo

Much better than the HAARP one that was released recently. Hullabaloo is far more raw and really helps you feel the Muse live experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

Led Zeppelin DVD. That one brought on about four sick days off work over the first year. I'd just wake up and think "I've gotta watch that DVD again". Brilliant.

Rush In Rio is also pretty good, Rush at probably their most rockinest (yes, that is a word) :pac:

The Black Sabbath Story I & II are compulsory, no explanation needed.

Finally, and this may be a surprise choice, but Some Kind Of Lobster, the Metallica rockumentary is really good. Not the music, of course, just as a film, it's cringeworthy like watching The Office, really amazing stuff. You're watching real people who've drifted apart from each other, unable to communicate with each other and just totally out of touch with everything they were, which is the only reason they are together in the first place. It's horrible and compulsive at the same time. Great film, **** music, but great film.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

If we're talking Rockumentaries, I'd recommend Metal: A Headbanger's Journey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭gucci

Doctor J wrote: »

Finally, and this may be a surprise choice, but Some Kind Of Lobster, the Metallica rockumentary is really good. Not the music, of course, just as a film, it's cringeworthy like watching The Office, really amazing stuff. You're watching real people who've drifted apart from each other, unable to communicate with each other and just totally out of touch with everything they were, which is the only reason they are together in the first place. It's horrible and compulsive at the same time. Great film, **** music, but great film.

I would agree with this, first time I watched it, it was so cringey I wanted to turn it off, but its compulsive viewing! If only to give you a greater appreciation for the movie Spinal Tap its worth watching!!

RATM Live from Grand Auditorium in Los Angeles is pretty decent.

I have the Live at the Garden Pearl Jam dvd, i dont think its great to be honest, its a bit too professionally shot or something that you dont get the atmosphere.

Is any of the Thin Lizzy/ Rory Gallagher dvds good? Kind of worried about buying them incase the sound and vision are out of sinc or they are just basically septic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭ec18

Iron Maiden Rock in RIO
    Rory Gallagher Irish Tour 1978
    Thin Lizzy Live and Dangerous
    Led Zeppelin - That double disc one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

Have to say I really liked the Allman Brothers Live at the Beacon 2003, some old classics and some newer music, but mostly to see two great young guitar players in Derek Trucks and Warren Haynes at the top of their game, and playing off each other and the band.

Also enjoyed the recent David Gilmour dvd Remember that Night Live at the Royal Albert Hall 2006. He and his band play the whole of his On an Island album, which is ok, with Crosby and Nash providing backing vocals. But it's the Floyd stuff that kills, great versions of Shine On and Echoes, and many others. Great picture and sound quality, loads of extras. Top stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

gucci wrote: »
    Is any of the Thin Lizzy/ Rory Gallagher dvds good? Kind of worried about buying them incase the sound and vision are out of sinc or they are just basically septic!

Thin Lizzy Live at Rockpalast is an excellent watch, highly recommended.

The Thunder and Lightning show in the point is decent, maybe a bit short though.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

nirvana live at reading 92 is very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭Deliverance XXV

gucci wrote: »

I have the Boys Are Back In Town DVD, which was recorded in Sydney.
    Video and audio are not great but what a show.

I also have Metallica's Cunning Stunts which ain't bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭smackbunnybaby

Mahavishnu Orchestra - Live at Montreaux

Slayer - war at the warfiled
    Megadeth - rude awakening
    and the all important SPINAL TAP!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭peter1892

Doctor J wrote: »
    Rush In Rio is also pretty good, Rush at probably their most rockinest (yes, that is a word) :pac:

I like R30 as well, although a lot of Rush fans don't like the way that particular show was edited (a lot of the setlist was cut from the final DVD).

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

also rage against the machine lve at the auditorium,there last gig.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

If we're talking Rockumentaries, I'd recommend Metal: A Headbanger's Journey.

+1

i didn't expect anything from that dvd but it ended up sucking me right in and capturing me, even with bands i didn't like. some of it is hilarious, some serious... and some down right scary

as for band dvds, i've always liked rammstein's dvds. even the "bonus" stuff they've put with cd's has been interesting on some level. if anything, for people who dislike them, their dvd's are entertaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

Korn : deuce . Its one of the best band dvds out there ( Its about the band, its not a gig dvd.)

Goijra: The Link alive. This is a great gig dvd. They play the link .

I gotta agree with Metal: A Headbanger's Journey its a great movie

Also Heavy Metal in Bagdad is really good, not so much for its musical content. It is about the only metal band in Iraq and gives a pretty good picture of life as a ( relativly ) normal Iraqi civilian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,692 ✭✭✭dasdog

Some of the unoffical stuff I've been gathering for the past couple of years:

Megadeth - New York (January 1988)
    Recorded just before so far, so good, so what was released. Quality is okay (sound maybe a bit shyte). Reminds me of my first gig in the Olympic Ballroom in Dublin a few months later ;)

Metallica - Long Island (April 1986)
    Quality is poor at the start. If you have ever seen the clip of Master of Puppets from Cliff 'em all, this is a recording of that whole gig.

Slayer - New York (1988)
    Slayer at their very best. Although shot from the crowd the quality is quite good.

Thin Lizzy - National Stadium, Dublin (April 1975)
    Originally broadcast by RTE. Five songs, quality is quite good for its time. I'm trying to get my hands on the full gig (which I've seen once). There is also a recording of a gig from Budapest (1981) floating about. Same tour as the Rockpalast gig.

"Get Thrashed", a thrash metal documentary being released this August which is supposed to make good viewing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,706 ✭✭✭120_Minutes

dasdog wrote: »

Thin Lizzy - National Stadium, Dublin (April 1975)
    Originally broadcast by RTE. Five songs, quality is quite good for its time. I'm trying to get my hands on the full gig (which I've seen once). There is also a recording of a gig from Budapest (1981) floating about. Same tour as the Rockpalast gig.

I'd love to see that!

my faves: Porcupine Tree - Arriving somewhere, Lizzy live and dangerous, Satriani - san francisco, The Blue Man Group - Complex Rock tour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

KISS-Symphony
    Rammstein-Volkerball

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Cherry_Darling

i know its not so much a music dvd but its all about spinal tap!! and Detroit Rock City jusy for kiss at the end!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭Patricide

Rammstein, volkerball and live aus berlin.
    Megadeth, Rude awakening
    Slipknot, Disastorpieces
    Gojira, The link alive
    Muse, Haarp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 conqueror90

Well, as has already been said, it really depends on what bands you like. Personally, I'm expecting the upcoming Therion DVD to be awesome, and their other other two not-quite-so-upcoming ones should also be great. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 414 ✭✭Duff_Man

the thunder and lighten tour is pretty good but its fairly short! ac/dc live in donnington rocks! they put on sum show! and of course the 2disc zepp dvd is a must!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Vim Fuego

For sheer value, it's gotta be Primus - Animals Should Not Act Like People.

You get all their music videos, all their old long-form videos (concerts, interviews, tomfoolery etc), a cd of new material and loads of other stuff. It's class.

I always loved Slayer's old video 'Live Intrusion' or 'Live Intervention' that I think is on dvd now. It's from the Divine Intervention era and I wore out that tape from repeated viewing.

Metallica's 'Cunning Stunts' was great too, being one of the first metal 5.1 dvds with multiple angles and stuff that no-one cares about any more :-) Especially good if you saw them on that tour as they had a cool stage set-up and rehearsed 'events'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 576 ✭✭✭Fishyfreak

AC/DC- Stiff Upper Lip Live (Up to my neck in you, first time i heard it live. It didn't disappoint)

AC/DC- Live at Plaza del Toros (Hail Ceaser sends a chill down my spine from this gig, Awesome)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

If you like Black Sabbath try Heaven and Hell : Live from Radio City Music Hall. Excellent show with an excellent soundtrack. Bought the heaven and hell album so long ago so to hear it live from only a few months ago they can still do it. Dio's voice is as good as ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Try Mastodon's The Workhorse Chronicles, pretty good viewing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Fear Factory - Digital Connectivity

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭CyberWaste

Death - Live In LA
    Sepultura - Chaos DVD
    Megadeth - Rude Awaking
    Metallica - S&M
    Machine Head - Elegies

Advertisement