Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Boards WWE Draft spectacular!

Comments

Surprised to see Bobby Heenan go so soon. Great choice, but i thought managers would be a 5th or 6th round thing, to be honest.

i've only one pick in mind at themoment, and 4 people are going ahead of me, so i can only hope that my pick isnt picked by the picker picking before me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Had a new idea for my pick. Its almost like cheating!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Hmm very thoughtful pick there gimmick. That team hadn't crosed my mind I must say. Two guys I think a lot of us were looking at for future rounds.

Hopefully b.ie curious will be about later and we can keep things going but if not we've made steady progress today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Minto

Gimmick, you son of a...

Fantastic choice!

Furious-Red won't be too pleased that's for sure. :)

Furious-Red won't be too pleased that's for sure. :)

Cen fath?

Because Furious-Red could have had Matt in the last round if he'd gone for the Hardy Boyz but he didn't realise and simply chose Jeff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

Because Furious-Red could have had Matt in the last round if he'd gone for the Hardy Boyz but he didn't realise and simply chose Jeff.

I did the same thing in the last round with Storm, missed out on Christian.

Still no idea really why I picked him, all of the people I had in mind for that round were gone so I tossed a coin between him and Owen. I was heading out and didn't want to miss my pick cos I wouldn't be back online in time. Weird choice I know but meh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

orestes wrote: »
    I did the same thing in the last round with Storm, missed out on Christian.

Ironically, I think that if you had of left storm alone Christian would have been picked first anyway.

Great pick Gimmick, really came out of left field

• Advertisement

Ah right, cheers for that!

One could argue that they aren't an established tag team...

It's hard to define in a clear-cut manner what constitutes an established tag team. By what we discussed earlier, they are established in the sense that people would have expected them to team up, albeit for a brief period of their careers.

They won the tag titles together, so therefore were an established tag team.

Well i don tmind really. I didn't have either in mind, but it just seems like a bit of a loophole.

How, they worked a tag program for around 6 months?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Danger_Dave

gimmick wrote: »
    They won the tag titles together, so therefore were an established tag team.

Damn you ! i was going to do the exact same thing to sort my mid card feud out !

Bubs101 wrote: »
    How, they worked a tag program for around 6 months?

That would mean that John Cena and Shawn Michaels are an established tag team.

To me, an established tag team is a team that are either known primarily for being in a team, or that are known to be in a team.

Eg: Rated RKO and MVP/Matt to me, would not be established tag teams because they only teamed up for a short periods of time and were essentially randomly put together to suit one or two angles. However, Edge and Christian became famous by being a team.

Murdoch and Cade would be an established tag team as they are constantly put together and viewed as a team.

RVD and Kane would be an established tag team as they teamed for approximately a full year together and were always seen together and won the tag belts together and it mattered.

I just don't view Matt and MVP as an established tag team. Like i said, i had neither in mind for my picks, so i don't really mind them going, but i just think its a little odd, as you are essentially getting two established singles wrestlers with one pick because they had a short lived run as tag champions, even though their title run seen them hating each other regularly.

That would mean that John Cena and Shawn Michaels are an established tag team.

To me, an established tag team is a team that are either known primarily for being in a team, or that are known to be in a team.

Eg: Rated RKO and MVP/Matt to me, would not be established tag teams because they only teamed up for a short periods of time and were essentially randomly put together to suit one or two angles. However, Edge and Christian became famous by being a team.

Murdoch and Cade would be an established tag team as they are constantly put together and viewed as a team.

RVD and Kane would be an established tag team as they teamed for approximately a full year together and were always seen together and won the tag belts together and it mattered.

I just don't view Matt and MVP as an established tag team. Like i said, i had neither in mind for my picks, so i don't really mind them going, but i just think its a little odd, as you are essentially getting two established singles wrestlers with one pick because they had a short lived run as tag champions, even though their title run seen them hating each other regularly.

I see what you're saying KKV but then it could equally be argued that Jeff Jarrett and Owen Hart shouldn't be viewed as an established tag team since both were mainly known for being established singles wrestlers. But seeing as they were a notable tag team circa 1999 you'd have to say they fall in the bracket of being established.

Matt and MVP are mainly known for their singles career alright but they did team together a lot in 2007 so you'd have to give the benefit of the doubt I think.

I agree it's a somewhat sticky area, and in fairness to gimmick he seemed to acknowledge that before making his pick, but by our rules it's a perfectly acceptable choice.

I know of no way to clearly define what makes for an established tag team other than the requirement for them to have been expected to wrestle regularly as a unit on shows.

I see what you're saying KKV but then it could equally be argued that Jeff Jarrett and Owen Hart shouldn't be viewed as an established tag team since both were mainly known for being established singles wrestlers. But seeing as they were a notable tag team circa 1999 you'd have to say they fall in the bracket of being established.

Matt and MVP are mainly known for their singles career alright but they did team together a lot in 2007 so you'd have to give the benefit of the doubt I think.

I agree it's a somewhat sticky area, and in fairness to gimmick he seemed to acknowledge that before making his pick, but by our rules it's a perfectly acceptable choice.

I know of no way to clearly define what makes for an established tag team other than the requirement for them to have been expected to wrestle regularly as a unit on shows.

It's probably just down to opinion really.

But i can't think of any other 'teams' that will cause this problem, so onwards and upwards :)

4 More picks before i can choose. I kinda thought we'd fly through this round over the weekend...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

My pick is still there, can't believe nobody has picked him yet. The brain is a very good pick though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

I was just thinking, there's no limit on tag teams at the moment, is there? There probably should be I think. It hasn't been an issue yet as practically everyone chosen was a world champion but it might happen as other guys start getting picked. We'll all pick who we want most but then we can get a free pick if they had a tag partner, which I think most guys have had at one stage or another. So we'll all just be picking two guys per round each time just because we can. Or maybe only a few people will think of it and they'll have 20 guys while the rest have 10. I'm not sure if that would be in the spirit of the game

I probably could have made that clearer but I'm tired! I think that a two team limit would prevent tag partners being picked for every wrestler just for the sake of it

^

Agreed.

Fozzy wrote: »
    I was just thinking, there's no limit on tag teams at the moment, is there? There probably should be I think. It hasn't been an issue yet as practically everyone chosen was a world champion but it might happen as other guys start getting picked. We'll all pick who we want most but then we can get a free pick if they had a tag partner, which I think most guys have had at one stage or another. So we'll all just be picking two guys per round each time just because we can. Or maybe only a few people will think of it and they'll have 20 guys while the rest have 10. I'm not sure if that would be in the spirit of the game

I probably could have made that clearer but I'm tired! I think that a two team limit would prevent tag partners being picked for every wrestler just for the sake of it

Very well spotted, Fozzy. Excellent point. Must say I hadn't even thought about that possibility but that kind of scenario would put a dampener on the game.

I think your suggestion of a two team limit makes sense. Let's make that an official ruling from here on in.

I have three picks in my head at the moment. all are tag teams. However, one may not be what you'd call an established tag team (one of the guys is an established singles star, the other is a guy who always teamed with people, but was in many different teams) but in my opinion, i would call these guys a team before i would call Matt and MVP a team, so if they aren't picked, shall i assume they will be classed as a team?

they did team up, but only for about 6-8 months and never really did a whole lot as a team (except a brief feud with Kane and Undertaker).

I think i gave my pick away :(

I have three picks in my head at the moment. all are tag teams. However, one may not be what you'd call an established tag team (one of the guys is an established singles star, the other is a guy who always teamed with people, but was in many different teams) but in my opinion, i would call these guys a team before i would call Matt and MVP a team, so if they aren't picked, shall i assume they will be classed as a team?

If there was a sense at the time that both guys were a tag team unit rater than singles guys placed together for a feud, I'd say they'd count as a tag team.

I'm not entirely sure I know who you are referring to KKV. I think I know and if it's who I'm thinking of I'd say you would be OK enough.

As I recall Matt and MVP faced a good few opponents like Deuce and Domino, Kane & Taker, Morrisson & Miz etc for a good while on Smackdown. We just don't want future rounds filled with people trying to exploit this admittedly vague area.

"Mr X teamed with Mr Y for 3 weeks in the summer of '91 and should therefore be regarded as a tag team."

If people try and go down that road then it would really ruin the fun of the challenge in my view.

I agree, it will ruin the game.

And yes, these two were expected to be teaming together for their duration as a team and were a recognised team at the time.

However, please remember who you think im talking about, as i am curious if you know or not. So after i pick, you can tell me if you were right or not.

still 3 picks before me :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,733 ✭✭✭ec18

It's been twelve hours do I get my Pick now?

24 hours is the time you have, not 12.

I reckon b.ie will be on later. I'd say i'll get to make my pick today or tonight as the three before me are online often it seems.

gimmick wrote: »
    24 hours is the time you have, not 12.

my bad thought it was reduced to 12 hours earlier on :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

ec18 wrote: »
    It's been twelve hours do I get my Pick now?
    Lord Almighty, some of us do have lives, like.

12 hours is too short, as has already been said - If a fella is not online between 8pm and 8am, which is not that unlikely, he loses his turn.

Good choice in Big Show. I was hoping, but not expecting him to be around in round 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,847 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Good Pick by B.ie ..It was an obvious one at that though. It was between him or Booker T for me.

callaway92 wrote: »
    Good Pick by B.ie ..It was an obvious one at that though. It was between him or Booker T for me.
    yeah, I had a shortlist of 5 guys made up in advance of the weekend. Show, Booker, Rey, Ultimate Warrior and another mystery entry not picked yet. I couldn't really pick between them because they're all so different and were/are all equally good at what they do.

Does the tag team have to be picked as a pair or can I count my last two picks as one of my tag teams?

Does the tag team have to be picked as a pair or can I count my last two picks as one of my tag teams?

I believe you can now put them together if you like. although i dont see why you would. Both are much better singles stars, in my opinion.

Also, in relation to your post in the picks thread, Christian was hugely popular in WWE in the later days. To say WWE dropped the ball is very odd. Admittedly, they could have done better with him (title reign), but he chose to leave so what more could they do?

Also, no offence, but is it necessary to copy/paste his wikipedia? we know who he is, i'm more interested in knowing why you chose him, to be honest.
    :(

MNG said that you can count them as one of your tag teams, but then you'd only be getting them up to the break up at King of the Ring.

Anyway, good pick, you ruled out my first choice for this round of Christian and Tomko (which may not have been allowed)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

Done, thought he might have been gone by the time my pick came around....

KKV your up :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭justbringit89

Christian Was A Great Pick, Really Wanted to get him!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Interesting picks, Edge and Christian together and Flair and Dusty together. Dusty would've been my top choice this round but I really didn't think that he could last this long

Am i the only person who puts any effort into a little "draft" video at all? these little ten second intros are nice to do, you know :(

Regardless.. I'll post this as i write about my next pick for the picks thread.

So far my roster hs two gimmick-based wrestlers, who are also great in the ring. For my third pick.. I shall pick my first tag team. A prime example of taking an established wrestler that you really want and getting a nobody for free in the process by seeking out his history... My third pick is...

(Dont worry fozzy you can make your pick in a minute, im just gnna type something nice up for my picks. wont be long :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭Machismo Fan

Despite the fact that that was nicely put together, you put way too much effort in this bud.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭jayhaitch2

Not a 'bad choice' per se....but with a little more thought you could have got the twin towers of Bossman and Akeem, a tag team which headlined a couple of PPVs against the Mega Powers.

You would have had two legitimate big men single stars as opposed to B-squared.

Am i the only person who puts any effort into a little "draft" video at all? these little ten second intros are nice to do, you know :(

I would not have the slightest notion how to do that to be honest. It looks cool though, fair play.

Despite the fact that that was nicely put together, you put way too much effort in this bud.

Honestly, it took about 5 minutes to make. And i've nothing better to do with my life anyway, so why not? :pac:

And I prefer attitude era boss man to be honest. Didnt want to be stuck in the 80's with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

If anybody wants help PM me :D

And I prefer attitude era boss man to be honest. Didnt want to be stuck in the 80's with him.
    Hmm. The younger Boss Man was far more agile tho, tho. Personally, I thought he was best before he teamed up with Buchannon. Either way, I wouldn't rate him all that highly. I thought his dog-napping storyline was just silly, even for the time it was in.
    gimmick wrote:
    I would not have the slightest notion how to do that to be honest.
    +1

Plus, I'm in work. They might turn a blind eye if I sneak onto boards for ten minutes (or every ten minutes;)) but I don't think they'd appreciate me putting video montages together!
    Also, no offence, but is it necessary to copy/paste his wikipedia? we know who he is, i'm more interested in knowing why you chose him, to be honest.
    A massive plus one from me. For starters, no one has time to read it. Also, a copy n' paste bio is easy to spot, and lacks personality. If I don't know why the poster thinks his/her wrestler is a great pick, then its less likely that I'll think its a great pick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Danger_Dave

:(

+1 . Surprised you picked Bossman . I really didn't expect him to go this round. However you've got a solid tag team.

Nice Choice B.ie if he was still available when it came around to myself think id would picked him.

P.S BH may have had excellent first two picks , now that he's at the bottom of the barrel think he's going to find it hard :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭Cactus Col

I always thought Bossman and Bull buchanan were a bit of an underappreciated tag team. They are one that I think should have been kept together for at least a few more months before being disbanded.

Certainly wasn't as big a fan of Akeem (the african dream). It was a terrible gimmick, would have been much better to have him in his one man gang gimmick.

P.S BH may have had excellent first two picks , now that he's at the bottom of the barrel think he's going to find it hard :)

Cena's not that great of a pick though. He may have been a great draw in his prime, but if you compare it to how other champion's drew it's not as big. Definitely think he has the pick of the game in Hulk though. Can't believe I was only one place behind him

• Advertisement
Advertisement