Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Boards WWE Draft spectacular!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

You didn't know he worked for the WWF but you know it's a phenomenal pick?

I was reading an article about the greatest heels ever a while ago but in the article it made no mention of the WWWF or it's succesors and given the kind of people who he was wrestling, Lou Thez and the rest, I assumed he was far to early for the WWF

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭Vince135792003

Bubs101 wrote: »
    I was reading an article about the greatest heels ever a while ago but in the article it made no mention of the WWWF

His feud with Bruno Samartino was a big part of establishing the WWWF according to wrestlingperspective.com.

For me, it was a toss up between picking Blassie and Rogers as they both could talk, work and were great draws. I just went with Rogers as Blassie patented himself off Rogers to an extent.

I would have loved to have picked both though.

His feud with Bruno Samartino was a big part of establishing the WWWF according to wrestlingperspective.com.

For me, it was a toss up between picking Blassie and Rogers as they both could talk, work and were great draws. I just went with Rogers as Blassie patented himself off Rogers to an extent.

I would have loved to have picked both though.

The only problem with the draft is that the older guys or the posters who watch old territorial wrestling (like you and RRC) probably have a better chance because their knowledge of older guys is far better. Like I have no idea how Sammartino was in the ring and really only knew about Patterson from his stooges days and wikipedia only tells you so much

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭jayhaitch2

I really did just pick him as a manager but my research is showing up a mega heel for a top draw fued. I have to put my hand up and say it was a lucky pick on my end....

I have to re-assess how I want to progress....its all very interesting:D

Bubs101 wrote: »
    The only problem with the draft is that the older guys or the posters who watch old territorial wrestling (like you and RRC) probably have a better chance because their knowledge of older guys is far better.

That is a problem for me too though! I mean unless people read the posts and watch the videos, alot of people in the draft might go "Buddy Rogers/Mil Mascaras/Freebirds/Bruiser Brody, who the hell are they?!?" and completely think nothing of the pick. So it works 2 ways.

A fun thing about the draft I think is that people who are rarely mentioned around here like say a Bruiser Brody who was a huge deal is getting a mention and fans who may not have heard of him have a chance to look at a really cool video and generally just learn a little more about wrestling pre-1998.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Spongey1975

Have to say, since my knowledge of wrestling would have been quite limited and did not have access to sky sports to watch the shows until about 3 years ago to get fully involved in wwe. Thanks to this draft, I'm beginning to find out a lot more info about many stars of wwe and just how good they were in the ring and on the mic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Have to say, since my knowledge of wrestling would have been quite limited and did not have access to sky sports to watch the shows until about 3 years ago to get fully involved in wwe. Thanks to this draft, I'm beginning to find out a lot more info about many stars of wwe and just how good they were in the ring and on the mic

Yes same here. My knowledge about wrestling gets hazy before the 1980s but researching the big names of wrestling before that period, and viewing some of the picks from others in the draft, has helped me learn a good bit.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

its good to hear that everyone is reading the posts and watching the vids and not just reading who the picks are, otherwise when it comes to voting people with Indy/Obscure/old wrestlers will miss out for not picking new mainstream but maybe weaker picks

Val Venis is a good pic, always felt he deserved a bigger push. Could also fill a GM type role as Chief Morley

only Justbringit89 and Micheals.etc to go now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

looks like we might have to start skipping Orestes now :D

The Funeral of Orestes
    http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=56716898#post56716898

I'll be online for a bit most days so I don't think I'll need to be skipped (fingers crossed)

• Advertisement

was tongue in cheek tbh, obviously didnt think you were actually dead but good to know you can continue especially at this stage

Things seem to be getting worse as we've gone on. I'm not sure if we'll be able to complete this round any time soon.

I've had to PM around 5 people to inform them that it was their pick as they didn't know.

As for michael.etc, he hasn't been on Boards in about 5 days.

At this rate we'll be lucky to complete the challenge by September. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭michael.etc...

^^^
    I've been keeping up to date, just haven't logged in.

****. I was going to pick either Elizabeth as my female ( i'm not going for a women's wrestling division), or Blassie, who i can't believe had went this long. Damn.

Yeah i agree with those concerned that older draft picks may make less impact, and i think my roster's going to be one of those that suffers the most. Like, people were suprised i think that i picked Andre first, but he was an ENORMOUS draw prior to the federation years.

Good stuff. If justbringit89 picks soon and you pick then we can crack on with Round 9 tonight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭Fozzy

Good stuff. If justbringit89 picks soon and you pick then we can crack on with Round 9 tonight.

He just picked Hardcore Holly...who's already been picked

Holly's already been picked with X-pac I think.

BTW, Elizabeth is still up for grabs, she was my 3rd woman so I had to pick again

Yeah justbringit you will have to alter that pick as orestes already took Holly.

okay, so should i wait before making my pick until justbringit89 has edited his?

You can go and make your pick michael. Hopefully justbringit89 will alter his pick soon enough. I PM'd him in case he hasn't seen this thread.

But yeah go ahead.

• Advertisement

Okay i've made my pick cheers.

thanks Bubs for reminding me about that!

I had her in mind earlier on as i didn't want to go for a women's division- she's a great figure as a manager/valet.

OK I've picked on behalf of callaway92 in line with his wishes.

That just leaves justbringit89 who needs to alter his pick. I hope he is on soon enough. If he's not on again tonight I propose we just press ahead with the Round 9 draw anyway. Do others agree?

If so I can make the draw around 11:30/12:00.

I agree, he should def be able to make his changed pick whenever he is next on though as he didnt miss his time limit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭RebelRockChick

OK I've picked on behalf of callaway92 in line with his wishes.

That just leaves justbringit89 who needs to alter his pick. I hope he is on soon enough. If he's not on again tonight I propose we just press ahead with the Round 9 draw anyway. Do others agree?

If so I can make the draw around 11:30/12:00.

Might as well get the draw done for the next round at least, mightn't even get it started til tomorrow anyway but people can get an idea of when their turn is. justbring89 should be able to alter his pick whenever he is online next.

Right then I'll do the draw in about an hour or so after I get a bite to eat. :cool:

Well we have clawed our way to Round 9, aka the penultimate round. But before I get to the draft I feel compelled to make the following points:

- Please make a note of what number you are in the draft and check the picks thread to see when you're up. There were several people in the last round who had no idea it was their turn. It's not really fair on the people patiently waiting for their go, and it's not fair to expect me to give you a reminder. Let's try and fly through the last two rounds like we did earlier on.

- Likewise please check to see if the pick you want has been taken already. I know it's trickier at this late stage of the game but making sure of this will allow things to run more smoothly for everybody.

- Remember the rules state that you can only have 2 tag teams and 2 women and you must have a mimimum of 1 tag team and 1 woman. Bear that in mind, folks.

Right then enough of the formalities. Let's get down to business...

* NINTH ROUND DRAFT ORDER *

1. dez_warlock...Stone Cold Steve Austin, Rob Van Dam, Rhino & Tajiri, Lita, Mike Awesome, Test & Albert, Super Crazy, Evan Bourne,
    2. b.ie curious...Jake Roberts, Ultimate Warrior, Big Show, Bob Backlund, DDP, Al Snow & Steve Blackman, Greg Valentine & Brutus Beefcake, Val Venis
    3. KKV...The Undertaker, Curt Hennig, Big Boss Man and Bull Buchanan, Honky Tonk Man, Earthquake & Typhoon, Melina, Eric Bischoff, Muhammed Hassan,
    4. Mr. Nice Guy...Bret Hart, Roddy Piper, Kane, CM Punk, Rock 'n' Roll Express, The Rougeau Brothers, Maria, Bad News Brown,
    5. Bubs101...Randy Savage, Bruno Sammartino, Steiner Brothers, Sycho Sid, Pat Patterson, Chyna, Gail Kim, Christopher Daniels,
    6. Justbringit89...Brock Lesnar, Eddie Guerrero, Sabu, Shelton Benjamin & Charlie Haas, Mr Kennedy, Carlito & Santino, Victoria, ________,
    7. Fozzy...Kerry Von Erich, Terry Funk, Arn Anderson & Tully Blanchard, Barry Windham & Mike Rotunda (IRS), Jushin Liger, Bryan Danielson, Junkyard Dog, Sable,
    8. Spongey1975...Shawn Michaels, Kevin Nash, New Age Outlaws, Lex Luger, Pedro Morales, Rikishi & Scotty 2 Hotty, John Morrison, King Kong Bundy,
    9. Furious-Red...Chris Benoit, Jeff Hardy, Paul London & Brian Kendrick, Bobby Lashley, Finlay, Frankie Kazarian, Kofi Kingston, Stacy Keibler,
    10. Minto...Triple H, Randy Orton, Bobby Heenan, Shane McMahon, Cody Rhodes & Ted DiBiase Jr, Stephanie McMahon, Umaga, Killer Kowalski,
    11. ec18...The Rock, Edge, Christian, AJ Styles, Sunny, Samoa Joe, TAKA Michinoku & Funaki, Tyson Tomko,
    12. Bounty Hunter...Hulk Hogan, John Cena, Yokozuna, Jimmy Snuka, Tazz & Raven, Don Muraco & Bob Orton, Mr Fuji, Ron Simmons,
    13. michael.etc...Andre the Giant, Goldberg, Rick Rude, Rick Martel & Tito Santana, Paul Orndorff, The Wild Samoans, Mil Mascaras, Miss Elizabeth,
    14. gimmick...Ted Dibiase, Ricky Steamboat, Matt Hardy & MVP, Harley Race, Bam Bam Bigelow, Jamie Noble & Kid Kash, Shane Douglas, Goldust,
    15. Jayhaitch2...Kurt Angle, Owen Hart & Jeff Jarrett, JBL, Scott Hall, Ken Shamrock, Mickie James, Hurricane & Rosey, Freddie Blassie,
    16. orestes...Mick Foley, Lance Storm, Vince McMahon, Brian Pillman, Dean Malenko & Perry Saturn, Bob Holly & X-Pac, Sherri, D-Lo Brown,
    17. RebelRockChick...Ric Flair, The Fabulous Freebirds, Dusty Rhodes, Demolition, Superstar Billy Graham, Jesse Ventura, Jerry Lynn, Juventud Guerrera,
    18. callaway92...The Road Warriors, Rey Mysterio, Booker T, William Regal, Fabulous Moolah, Marty Jannetty, Chavo Guerrero Jr, Mark Henry,
    19. Vince135792003...The British Bulldogs, Vader, Jerry Lawler, Tiger Mask, Jim Cornette, Bruiser Brody, Ultimo Dragon & Billy Kidman, Buddy Rogers,
    20. Danger Dave...Chris Jericho, Batista, Dudley Boyz, Trish Stratus, Sergeant Slaughter, Molly Holly, Iron Sheik, Nikolai Volkoff,

Fozzy please do a cut-and-paste job on the above as always. :cool:

As you can see Justbringit89 is a pick down after he made an ineligible pick in the last round but we're still going to allow him make his pick as he was in time but just made a mistake. Hopefully he'll make his pick soon as it will make things easier for all of us, particularly Fozzy who takes the time to edit in all the picks.

Ideally justbringit89 will be on shortly but if not I would be in favour of just cracking on with round 9 and letting justbringit89 make his Round 8 pick whenever he comes online.

OK then lady and gentlemen the challenge is reaching its conclusion. A lot of big names have been taken as we know but are there a few gems still out there? ;)

Anyways I wish all of you jabronis, as always, good luck and Happy Pickings. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,972 ✭✭✭orestes

was tongue in cheek tbh, obviously didnt think you were actually dead but good to know you can continue especially at this stage

No worries dude, I know you were just messing but I just wanted to make sure everyone knew I'm still gonna be playing and keeping an eye on this while I'm away.

ah yay, im turd... i mean.. third.

Sorry.. was looking at my roster. :pac:

Ah FFS come on KKV get a move on. You were on earlier after b.ie curious made his pick so why no pick from you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Danger_Dave

20th again MNG ! , what did i do to you ! ? :p

Ah FFS come on KKV get a move on. You were on earlier after b.ie curious made his pick so why no pick from you?

No need to have an attitude.

Other people have held us up more. No need to worry about it. There's no crazy, mad rush. If the game lasts an extra day the world won't explode. No users will spontaneously combust... Relax.

I only seen B.ie's pick a minute ago. I don't remember being online here after I made that post to be honest. Had a busy day.

Still busy, so i'll add videos, etc. later on. Made my pick.

• Advertisement

Damn, was hoping Salinas would slip through til round 10, have to look at the rest of the divas available now

No need to have an attitude.

Other people have held us up more. No need to worry about it. There's no crazy, mad rush. If the game lasts an extra day the world won't explode. No users will spontaneously combust... Relax.

It's an attitude of exasperation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭justbringit89

hey Mr.Nice Guy i edited my 8th pick after that mess, sorry about that again:D

I was just playing around, seeing what sort of card I might have, and I've come up with three good ones. But I seem to be stuck with one person left over. I haven't picked this person yet so it could be anyone

I've also decided on my pick for this round. I was going to play around a little, but it's criminal that this person hasn't been picked yet! I was staying away from him because I felt that I had his sort of stuff covered already on my roster. But the more I think about it the more I think he should be in my main event

^^^ i don't think it's that important to worry about the card specifically, is it? surely you could do something reasonably minor with your leftover guy in the example, as the focus should be on the overall roster.
    I would worry when people are judging these things that they simply vote for whatever card impresses them the most, when it's surely more about the roster overall?

On another note- i think i know who you're talking about fozzy... and i hope im wrong, because he was gonna be my next pick!

^^^ i don't think it's that important to worry about the card specifically, is it? surely you could do something reasonably minor with your leftover guy in the example, as the focus should be on the overall roster.
    I would worry when people are judging these things that they simply vote for whatever card impresses them the most, when it's surely more about the roster overall?

Like I said, I was just messing about and seeing what I could come up with. I'd love to see these matches!

The card does reflect the roster though, but it's also a bit more than that I think. I mean, what if someone has a really impressive roster with Shawn Michaels, Kurt Angle, some other good midcard guys and a couple of jobbers. And then for their card they put Michaels and Angle in singles matches against the two jobbers? And the rest of the roster is in a dog on a pole reverse battle royale trampoline match? I wouldn't be voting for that person. I think the card is an important part of it, but it should be easy enough for everyone unless they make silly mistakes like what I just said

Fozzy wrote:
    I was just playing around, seeing what sort of card I might have, and I've come up with three good ones. But I seem to be stuck with one person left over.

I think I might have a person left over too but I don't thik it's that big a deal. I woudn't expect everyone on the roster to be included on the card but maybe others will see that as important I dunno.

The card is more of an aid to allow people see what feuds we all have in mind. I don't know how others will judge the best roster but personally I'd be looking to see rosters that not only have guys I'd like to see but feuds I'd find quite intriguing to watch.

^^^ yeah for me, the card has to be simply more of an example, if only because it's not really possibly to put together a full card with ten people, considering we've had to pick tag teams ,and female performers. So i'm thinking alot of us will end up at least one great wrestler, but no match to put them in.

it's not really possibly to put together a full card with ten people

It's possible. My card will feature everyone of my picks in matches that hopefully make some sense.

Money in the Bank match FTW

• Advertisement

It's possible. My card will feature everyone of my picks in matches that hopefully make some sense.

im hoping to do the same the people ive planned havent gone yet so a few more pics and ill get my 9th pick and im sure (95%) that my 10th pick wont be taken.

KKV think MNG was just venting his frustration at the recent slow-down despite people being online not at you in particular. if anyone wants a suggestion for a pic lemme know (PM) as my list isnt going to get used.

KKV think MNG was just venting his frustration at the recent slow-down despite people being online not at you in particular.

I feel I went a bit OTT there as it wasn't like he missed his turn or anything. Apologies to KKV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

And here we go again. JBI89 has been online at least once today and has not yet made his pick. It is actually getting quite tedious. God help us when we are waiting for people to explain their rosters.

I reckon even though I have a poor enough number again this round, I should easily have the pick I want. So nobody ruin it for me, please :cool:

Well he's got just over an hour to pick or he's skipped. If fozzy is online and makes his pick, i'll have mine soon after. Its all ready to post as long as he's not picked in the meantime

gimmick wrote: »
    And here we go again. JBI89 has been online at least once today and has not yet made his pick. It is actually getting quite tedious. God help us when we are waiting for people to explain their rosters.

Yeah these delays are really getting on my nerves. I was going to PM him a reminder but I've done so before in the past and I don't feel the onus is on me to inform people when it's their go.

I feel I went a bit OTT there as it wasn't like he missed his turn or anything. Apologies to KKV.

Screw you, you bastard! :mad:

Nah, seriously though, its fine and i understand. It is a pain in the ass waiting on people. Sorry if i somehow insulted you when i replied to you that time.

My view is that its a game, so despite the waiting etc, i'll just try and enjoy it. I mean its been going on weeks now, and we're nearing the end, so it wont feel like much longer and the draft will be over.

RIP Draft, we hardly knew thee :(

Anyway,

I am just looking over possible cards my roster. I don't know if i want to try and be 100% original (to show that my roster has mileage and can be fresh) or if i want to try and work off past feuds, storylines, connections between wrestlers, etc.

But i think im gonna go with the originality thing... Seems to be a better idea overall.

Personally, When im judging other people's roster, the card will be important. May be a 50/50 split on the roster and the card to me. No point in having a good roster if it can't be booked sensibly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

I am just looking over possible cards my roster. I don't know if i want to try and be 100% original (to show that my roster has mileage and can be fresh) or if i want to try and work off past feuds, storylines, connections between wrestlers, etc.

But i think im gonna go with the originality thing... Seems to be a better idea overall.
    Looking at your roster, I'm not sure you have much of a choice. I mean, its hardly like you've got Bret and Michaels or anything. I don't think any of your guys have worked a notable feud together. And I don't think thats a bad thing at all.

Looking at your roster, I'm not sure you have much of a choice. I mean, its hardly like you've got Bret and Michaels or anything. I don't think any of your guys have worked a notable feud together. And I don't think thats a bad thing at all.

I know, but I wanted to make it sound like I was doing it by choice :o

Regardless, im pretty sure my matches are pretty obvious. I went through a few different cards, and i currently have one that im likely to stick with. Its not a super-duper amazing card, but it covers a few different aspects of my roster, so... Im happy enough.

Don't know who to pick next though.

i currently have one that im likely to stick with. .

It better have a Honky/Hassan feud. That would be a thing of beauty.

• Advertisement

It better have a Honky/Hassan feud. That would be a thing of beauty.

What makes you pick those two? :confused:

Advertisement