Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestion for Coffee Machine

• 24-06-2008 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi All,

We have recently developed the taste for good coffee, the instant stuff just isn't cutting it anymore.

As we are new to the world of coffee makers, we are looking for suggestions for a good machine that can do coffee, lattes, cappacino's at a reasonable price.

We are open to all options, can purchase instore, online.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Nicknax wrote: »
    Hi All,

We have recently developed the taste for good coffee, the instant stuff just isn't cutting it anymore.

As we are new to the world of coffee makers, we are looking for suggestions for a good machine that can do coffee, lattes, cappacino's at a reasonable price.

We are open to all options, can purchase instore, online.

Thanks
    budget? you will need to spend at least 150euro on a grinder otherwise you are wasting your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Nicknax

Budget would be around 300-400

Why is a grinder essential?

Something relatively small as well, don't want something taking up the whole kitchen worktop.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

I think we need to create a sticky post to address these issues.

You need a grinder because (a) you need to grind as you use as ground coffee goes stale extremely quickly and (b) you need to adjust to the fineness to suit your machine and the beans.

Iberital MC2 from happydonkey for STG£100 or Gaggia MDF from espressocoffeeshop for €159/€175 (white/black) would both be wise choices.

AS for the machine Gaggia Classic, or any of the new Gaggia Baby line are probably the best value machines on the market. They are built to last, are neat and tidy, and can produce excellent espresso. I would advise probably to spend a little extra to get these models rather than the cheaper Gaggia models (various reasons discussed elsewhere).

Here you can get some decent deals on Gaggia MDF + Gaggia espresso machine.
    http://www.coffeeitalia.ie/products.php?cat=21

I would also suggest a decent tamper is an essential purchase also.

You've already made a good decision by seeking advice here. I definitely spent money on coffee equipment in the past that was lacking in one area or another. I would have definitely appreciated similar advice at the time.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I'd been thinking about some form of sticky alright. I'll throw one together when I get a chance over the next few days. I'll bounce it around the forum for c&c before stickying.

Ask away with any other questions you have Nicknax, we'll do our best to answer them. All sound advice from RE*ACT*OR above :)

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Nicknax

Hi

Thanks for the replies and the options.

We are looking at Gaggia Baby but we are still looking at the specifics.

We are not 100% on the grinder as we hadn't thought about one and we hadn't budgeted for it.

We will do a little more research and make the decision.

Thanks again and we will read a little more of the forum..

• Advertisement
Advertisement