Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Items to check before / after a service ?

Options
  • 24-06-2008 10:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭

My 98Ka is due for a service in the next week. 60K miles on the clock.

I've been looking through these motor pages about all the threads on services and I'm kind of worried that the garage I get the service done will try scam me on something or other. I've even heard of a garage near me (which i'm not going to) where a guy handed in his car for a basic service and marked the plugs with a dot of tippex (he had heard bad review on this place and wanted to see if it was true). He got his car back and the plugs still had the tipex on them, obviously this place did not change the plugs. Its seems to be any garage whether a main dealer or a local mechanic they are all hit or miss, and its a gamble. Then there are main dealers that charge full labour costs and only have a young apprentice working on your car instead of a qualified mechanic which you are charged for...

So, before I hand my car in for a full service, are there some items I can check? and check after I get it back, just to make sure they actually have done the job?

Any advise well appreciated.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

A very simple and basic check is to fill your screenwash bottle to the brim and then check the bill if they put screenwash on it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,318 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Plugs don't get replaced every service - at least not on my jam jars. Did your friend get charged for plugs? You can ask for the old parts to be returned to you. Not a great idea with a local mechanic imo, as it indicates a lack of trust.

If using a 'remote' mechanic, I would do this. Also, you should ask in advance what parts will be normally be replaced in the service, and that you be contacted in advance of any unexpected parts requiring replacement.

Best to get a mechanic recommended by someone whose judgement you trust, then cultivate a relationship for the future.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

rsta wrote: »
    My 98Ka is due for a service in the next week. 60K miles on the clock.

I've been looking through these motor pages about all the threads on services and I'm kind of worried that the garage I get the service done will try scam me on something or other. I've even heard of a garage near me (which i'm not going to) where a guy handed in his car for a basic service and marked the plugs with a dot of tippex (he had heard bad review on this place and wanted to see if it was true). He got his car back and the plugs still had the tipex on them, obviously this place did not change the plugs. Its seems to be any garage whether a main dealer or a local mechanic they are all hit or miss, and its a gamble. Then there are main dealers that charge full labour costs and only have a young apprentice working on your car instead of a qualified mechanic which you are charged for...

So, before I hand my car in for a full service, are there some items I can check? and check after I get it back, just to make sure they actually have done the job?

Any advise well appreciated.

Cheers

just go to a different garage which you know will do the work

dip the oil too before and after you should see a big difference in a petrol car in colour

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭s14driftking

if your having doubts ill service your car for u of a saturday as a nixer for u ill do everything bar a timing belt and u can be there watching for piece of mind

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭rsta

thanks for the replies. reason i was asking is just because of all the stories iv heard lately... Never hear anything until i start mentioning to people iv to get the car serviced!

im going to a main dealer, and will ask him exactly what is gong to be done and will check everything afterwards!

listen thanks again everyone. sure if anything goes wrong il be bakc on here to name and shame :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Big Dec

Hi,

Had my Audi A6 serviced recently. Filled the windscreen water bottle to the brim, as it was empty anyway.

When I picked it up after the service I mentioned to the girl in the office that vI was charged for washer fluid. She said that they always add this & I should have mentioned this when I dropped off the car.

Back in the car, there was a 30ml bottle (full) of screen wash in the door pocket. Expensive screenwash! ~€2 for 30ml, when I can get 500ml in shop for same price.

Advertisement