Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Where are all the new C5's?

Options
  • 24-06-2008 10:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭

Since being launched last month (with post July pricing) I have yet to see one one the roads, what's the story, is everybody holding off until July for collection, or January at this stage, or given that we are now in a recession (:rolleyes:) is no-one buying cars at all? I was looking forward to seeing the handsome C5 brighten up our roads a bit.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Woodgate

I'm in Waterford and have seen a few. Especially a gorgeous Silver one, looked stunning.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I've seen quite a few on the road. July pricing shouldn't have much bearing as it was released at the July price for the 1.6 HDi Dynamique.
    Woodgate wrote:
    a gorgeous Silver one, looked stunning.

Hmm - I don't think silver is the best colour - maybe in the Ambiance (basic) spec, but in the higher spec'd models the silver paintwork does nothing for the chrome trim - it kind of masks it. Borrasque Blue or Black are my preferred colours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Good news, I've a hankering for a silver 2.0HDi Exclusive and wanted to see one in the flesh, I'll bide my time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

Good news, I've a hankering for a silver 2.0HDi Exclusive and wanted to see one in the flesh, I'll bide my time.
    Nice - the Hydractive III suspension will be an added bonus on the Exclusive along with the user friendly automatic handbrake. Good choice!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭HungryJoey

I don't know if its just me, but I really can't make my mind up if I like them or not. I'm almost being convinced they're nice looking by the amount of people who admire them but I just can't pull my self to it. I'll wait until I see one in flesh to make my mind up, until then I will say it's "ok" looking.

EDIT: I think its the gigantic lights at the rear that make it look odd for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

bazz26 wrote: »

Agreed.....see for that kinda wonga you'll have a new mondeo,mazda6,avensis etc or the like.
    they'll be an ok seller, but not at ford/toyota levels

• Registered Users Posts: 2,423 ✭✭✭pburns

I consider them good-looking but a waste of space. Not because of the usual Frenchie-bashing but because they are quite expensive and score abysmally on the CO2/BHP front. As I've quoted before, the 1.6 HDi has the same CO2 as the 2.0d Mazda 6:rolleyes:...

I agree with E92 that CO2 is a flawed concept for an environmental tax but it makes a huge difference to road-tax & VRT and frankly the fact that a new model is so bad in this regard shows it up for the re-bodied 407 it really is. Already 'old' under the skin...

I'd wager the reason there are relatively few about is because most will be diesels and prices are dropping next week.

Also, George Lee et al. weren't scaremongering - there IS a slump looming, even if the tech-related dudes who I think make up a high % of this forum don't realise it yet...

pburns wrote: »
    I'd wager the reason there are relatively few about is because most will be diesels and prices are dropping next week.

All C5's have been available with post July pricing from launch as far as I know, so I don't think their prices will drop one bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

shows it up for the re-bodied 407 it really is. Already 'old' under the skin...

Looks like a 407 arse with a new laguna face. Look nicer in the tv ads than on carzone

edit: looks are the last thing I care about in a car, I'm not rich enough to care what my car looks like.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Vegeta wrote: »
    Looks like a 407 arse with a new laguna face. Look nicer in the tv ads than on carzone

+1
    I thought it was just me who thought that.

All C5's have been available with post July pricing from launch as far as I know, so I don't think their prices will drop one bit.

I don't believe all that 'available with post July pricing' b0ll0cks for a second. I think Nissan are saying something similar. If the cost/VRT of getting the car to the forecourt is going to decrease significently post-July it's gonna leave more margin for the importer and/or dealer (which can be used for 'unofficial' discounting).

Most of the manufacterers claiming post-July pricing are the usual bargain-basement, pile-em-high-sell-em-cheap, to-hell-with-the-residuals brigade...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Mc-BigE

might be a good 2nd hand buy in a few years, after some other sucker takes the hit on deprecation.
    it will be a nice car for 10K in not much time at all

I don't believe all that 'available with post July pricing' b0ll0cks for a second.

Check out E92's sig, official new Citroen pricing is there for all to see.

Check out E92's sig, official new Citroen pricing is there for all to see.

Yes official Citroen pricing...

But since when did a Citroen's list price equate to what you actually pay in real folding green? What I'm saying is that in the latter part of '08 and beyond, even though the list price may remain unchanged the dealer (or importer) will have a bigger margin for offering discounts. A diesel car will be costing the importer, and presumably the stealer, significently less so it stands to reason there will be more margin, more room to manouvere.

I'm sure Citroen are playing this down so they could move a few cars pre-July and to try counter their reputation for whole-scale discounting...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭LolaDub

The french ambassador has one i think, i've seen it outside the residence on ailesbury road a lot

Well I hope you are right, but I doubt this C5 will follow the last in terms of big discounting, it is selling like hotcakes in Europe and a UK agency rates its retained value second only to the Passat. Time will tell.

Well I hope you are right, but I doubt this C5 will follow the last in terms of big discounting, it is selling like hotcakes in Europe and a UK agency rates its retained value second only to the Passat. Time will tell.

You talkin' to me? :)

Steve, I've just noticed from previous posts that you've bought a diesel C5 pre-July. So :o if I've dissed this.

I think residuals should be better than the old C5 but I stand by my scepticism about official 'July prices'. It just doesn't make sense when you examine the €€€€.

But hey I'm buyin a Legacy diesel next week and God knows how that'll fare as an ownership proposion - new engine, new model next year etc. I don't care - I just want it...

I haven't bought it yet...€35K for a new Citroen kind of freaks me out so I am going to wait and see what happens in 6 months or so with prices here and in the UK. One thing is certain, if I do change that will be the car, the Exclusive is a smashing package, why anyone would pay substantially more for a stripped out 3 series or A4 is beyond me.

Good luck with the Legacy.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I can't see the C5 having significantly higher retained values than other cars in it's class.

Against it are:-

1/. Size. All cars of this size depreciate relatively quickly.
    2/. Origin. The advertising describing it as German is a bit of a giveaway.
    3/. History. Last model wasn't hectic in used values. Citroen used sell them by offering deep discounts too.

I've no doubt the new car has improved btw.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,433 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Have seen very few of them. I like them, but the list price of the cheapest one with hydractive suspension was very high the last time I checked. Even if you could get a healthy (>15%) discount

the hydractive suspension one is around 38K, the same price as a new 318d ?

hmmm.

Mc-BigE wrote: »
    the hydractive suspension one is around 38K, the same price as a new 318d ?

hmmm.

2.0HDI with metallic is around €35K cash, the 318DSE is nearer €41K (just avoid the option list).

The BMW is smaller, less well equipped (and then some), not as comfy and looks like a bag of spanners. The HDi engine is also smooth as silk, if not as quick as the BMW.

The BMW or course will depreciate less and will handle better, but I still can't see the logic in buying one over a C5.

[QUOTE=Stevie Dakota
    The BMW or course will depreciate less and will handle better[/QUOTE]

that's exactly why i wouldn't buy one (C5) new, 2nd hand maybe.

and there's also the Citroen electronic glitches that were in the first c5 ,will they be in the new one?

that's exactly why i wouldn't buy one (C5) new, 2nd hand maybe.
    ?

Ditto that for any BMW, the Germans are far from depreciation proof, just ask the hapless owner of a 07 520D! (not a fair example I know)

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭King Kelly

Allocation of RHD cars to Ireland is an issue. Majority of production going to the UK. Less than 200 units were landed in Ireland up to end May. The larger dealerships have been allocated around 16-20 units from April and May production to cover sales for May, June and July. Almost all are 1.6 Dynamiques spec. 3 month lead time for Exclusive/hydractive
    Athe hydractive suspension one is around 38K, the same price as a new 318d ?

hmmm.

2.0 HDI Exclusive (hydractive)ex works price 1st July is €35,295. The C5 is substantally roomier and better equiped but I don't think Citroen and BMW are serious competitors! Theres certainly a lot of desirable, competitively priced cars in the high 30k's post July.

and there's also the Citroen electronic glitches that were in the first c5 ,will they be in the new one?

Like the new C4 Picasso, build quality appears to be a huge improvement over the original series 1 C5. ( Series 2, post 2005 C5's are fairly trouble free.) Without raising the French v German debate again (yawn), the German reputation for reliabilty has also taken a hit lately.

Have seen very few of them. I like them, but the list price of the cheapest one with hydractive suspension was very high the last time I checked. Even if you could get a healthy (>15%) discount

The dealers don't get 15% margin on new cars!

King Kelly wrote: »
    but I don't think Citroen and BMW are serious competitors!

if that's the case why are the advertising it as german? why does it look like an Audi A4/A6 from certain angles?

Theres no thought that this a good looking car, but if i want a german car, ill buy one, not a german look a like.

the french should stick to what their good at, style, individual looking cars, not copy sometimes dull looking german cars.

if that's the case why are the advertising it as german? why does it look like an Audi A4/A6 from certain angles?

the french should stick to what their good at, style, individual looking cars, not copy sometimes dull looking german cars.

I think if you put the A4 and a C5 side by side the C5 is by far the better looking car, the Audi is just SO bland and looks far to like its predecessor (or any other Audi). Sure the C5 takes certain Germanic design cues but it also injects much of its own flair. Then there is the interior design which also is very distinctive.

I also suspect if Citroen hadn't based their ad campaign on Being Unmistakably German, then people would not be making so many German styling comparisons.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭King Kelly

Theres no thought that this a good looking car, but if i want a german car, ill buy one, not a german look a like.

Personally I think its possibly the worst advertising campaign I've ever seen!

However if the public perception of German built cars is one of reliability or strength I guess there's no harm in trying to align yourself with that. I don't get a impession from the ad's that its trying to copy "dull looking german cars".

I think Citroens should be marketed as what they are, in the main, good quality, well designed, stylish, comfortable and affordable motors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭alpina

Citreon are obviously eager to play with the big boys, their General Manager, Gilles Michel states point blank he aims to compete with A4 & C-class, doesn't mention BMW actually, clever man....but by the looks of things to come it won't be long before they're knocking at the Munich door!:eek:

Advertisement