Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

google hates my website

Options
  • 24-06-2008 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭

i designed the following site in mostly photoshop and flash

http://mankinddundalk.com/index.html

google has so far failed to list it although I did another website

www.coverallcouriers.com

and it was listed almost instantly.

Has anyone any ideas how to remedy this. Is it because the first site uses a lot of images rather than text?

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Is it because the first site uses a lot of images rather than text?

Pretty much yes, and you dont have any alt tags on the images you do use. Did you create a sitemap with it?look at google sitemaps if you didnt and put alt tags on your images. Also you would be better not going fully with flash and putting some text in where possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Look at the source code of the page - it's totally indecipherable. This is what Google sees.

The Google bots don't stop to look at your images, and there's no text or alt text for them to read, so they move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lunacyfoundme

Hmmm back to the drawing board I guess. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Enright

i like the site, the flash works well

just wondering, would you be able to set up a simple site, save it and get google to accept it. once they have just upload the flash version to the same domain?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Enright wrote: »

just wondering, would you be able to set up a simple site, save it and get google to accept it. once they have just upload the flash version to the same domain?
    Not really. Google crawls sites on a regular basis. It will pick up your site the first time, but then when you update it, it will delete the previous crawl and use the new one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭lunacyfoundme

I wonder would producing a text only version help and giving it as an option to change to that down at the bottom somewhere? Makes you wonder how all these other flash and image only sites get registered. Brown envelopes me thinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Enright wrote: »
    It obviously doesn't, if you can't be found and you need to be!!!!

Sorry, couldn't resist; but I am only half-joking.....part of the job a website should do is be "findable".

It's like saying "my car works well", just because it looks good, but hides the fact that it doesn't actually - well - drive!
    Enright wrote:

No. Google re-checks regularly (which is why regularly or recently-updated sites usually appear at the top of searches).

Plus, having a secondary text or html-only version is a bit of a pointless "hack", because Google should direct the person to the relevant page within a site, so if it's found the text/html-only "products" page, and someone clicks on it, that's what they'll get, and they won't even see the Flash version.

Advertisement