Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Baby on board signs

Options
  • 24-06-2008 11:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭

People who put these signs up are the types that drive at 50kph in a 100kph zone even when road conditions are perfect. They also tend to never look in their mirrors or have any idea what's going on around them. They seem to put these signs up in the hope it will make other people extra careful to make up for their inadequate driving.
    Agree or disagree?
    Perhaps you have one of them in you car. If so why?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭berliner

I have one.I'm hoping assholes wont force me to drive over the speed limit by tailgaiting me and forcing me to go faster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

berliner wrote: »
    I have one.I'm hoping assholes wont force me to drive over the speed limit by tailgaiting me and forcing me to go faster.

What difference would this make to an "asshole"?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Saw a L-Driver in a Punto yesterday,with a baby on board sign,a child on board and a bitch on board.
    Cant imagine how she even sees out her rear window!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I think that those signs are incredibly stupid.

I've asked people who have them what the purpose is and they usually say that its to make people drive more considerately because they have children on board.

What a load of crap! :(

People should show consideration to other road users regardless of the age of their passengers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭Cionád

I like how many of these signs are placed obstructively in the centre of the rear window, and sometimes there is more than one! (Kayla on board, Justin on board etc)

They were used originally to help paramedics identify which cars to attend to first in the case of a serious accident. They are not meant to prevent tailgaters, in any case no-one should be tailgating no matter who is in the car.

edit: beat me to it jackncoke/Wishbone Ash.
    edit2: 600 posts whoo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,903 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The original idea was to alert emergency services that a child may have been thrown from the car.

However, does anyone take them down when the kid isn't in the car? Doubt it...

How on earth would a tailgater force you to go faster?

I'd be inclined to go slower. If you feel the need to go faster, then you seriously need driving lessons.

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭s14driftking

I think that those signs are incredibly stupid.

I've asked people who have them what the purpose is and they usually say that its to make people drive more considerately because they have children on board.

What a load of crap! :(

People should show consideration to other road users regardless of the age of their passengers.
    x2

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

How on earth would a tailgater force you to go faster?

I'd be inclined to go slower. If you feel the need to go faster, then you seriously need driving lessons.
    I think that may have been a German joke.:)

tuxy wrote: »
    What difference would this make to an "asshole"?
    I'm hoping this might cut me some slack and explain why I'm actually driving within the speed limit unlike most of the Irish population.Stupid I know but worth a shot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭mickey mac

These signs are for people who feel the need to brag about their fertility, and their only topic of conversation is about their kids.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 669 ✭✭✭Photi

Cionád wrote: »
    They were used originally to help paramedics identify which cars to attend to first in the case of a serious accident. They are not meant to prevent tailgaters, in any case no-one should be tailgating no matter who is in the car.

!

Nope

http://www.snopes.com/horrors/parental/babysign.asp

I'm hoping this might cut me some slack and explain why I'm actually driving within the speed limit unlike most of the Irish population.Stupid I know but worth a shot!
    Because you're not Irish?;)

Anan1 wrote: »
    Because you're not Irish?;)
    I'm a paddy all right!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

These signs are pointless....they don't make other cars slow down!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,903 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Photi wrote: »

Don't always believe everything you read on Snopes. They existed in Germany before the US, and were a safety device there.

Would a sign on the back saying something about not tailgating be more effective?
    Anyway for the most part tailgaters are too stupid to know what breaking distance is and don't know they are tailgating.

kmart6 wrote: »
    No, but I would give the a wider berth on the basis that they are more likely than most to do something stupid.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Baby on board, fish signs, pink (or any other colour) ribbon stickers ...all pointles, useless ...

...kinda like this thread, really :D

Anan1 wrote: »
    No, but I would give the a wider berth on the basis that they are more likely than most to do something stupid.

Agreed, I'm having second thoughts now. Maybe these signs are for the best.

• Advertisement

kmart6 wrote: »
    The Police would but alas they are a rare sight on Irish roads.

I can't wait for some newbie to dig this one up in 2010...

mickey mac wrote: »
    These signs are for people who feel the need to brag about their fertility, and their only topic of conversation is about their kids.:)
    I feel the need to agree with this man.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Usually the automotive horror of a Trajet or whatever fridge on wheels they drive is enough to let the world know that you're up to your eyes in kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

My Baby On Board story: 1987, on Route 93 from Phoenix to Las Vegas, was a settlement called Nothing. A few shack-type houses, a gas station and a souvenir shop. We stopped for gas (no baby on board btw). While paying for the gas, the owner, a real desert inhabitant, asked me if I wanted to see his Baby On Board sign. He then produced a rough piece of plank with a doll nailed to it. Dry humour at it's best.

Nothing was destroyed by fire - in 1988 or 1989. Nothing was rebuilt, it seems. http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/87

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

peasant wrote: »
    Baby on board, fish signs, pink (or any other colour) ribbon stickers ...all pointles, useless ...

...kinda like this thread, really :D
    Close it now...go on...ya know you wanna!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Good one for a Hearse.........Dead body on board. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

tuxy wrote: »
    People who put these signs up are the types that drive at 50kph in a 100kph zone even when road conditions are perfect. They also tend to never look in their mirrors or have any idea what's going on around them. They seem to put these signs up in the hope it will make other people extra careful to make up for their inadequate driving.
    Agree or disagree?
    Perhaps you have one of them in you car. If so why?

I have one on my car, but I find the oppisite. People without them tend tosit in the right hand lane on a motorway / dual carraigeway and not let faster moving cars pass, within or over the limit. Don't look in their mirrors, keep fog light on. Put make up on / have a shave.

Please do not tar everyone with the same brush.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭Slig

Lets see over the past two days we had the following pointless items:
    aftermarket spoilers
    dump valves
    baby on board stickers

Really the most pointless addition to most cars is the driver

• Advertisement

I have one on my car
    Why?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement