Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Baby on board signs

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

tuxy wrote: »
    People who put these signs up are the types that drive at 50kph in a 100kph zone even when road conditions are perfect. They also tend to never look in their mirrors or have any idea what's going on around them. They seem to put these signs up in the hope it will make other people extra careful to make up for their inadequate driving.
    Agree or disagree?
    Perhaps you have one of them in you car. If so why?

Nice sweeping generalisation. I hear the internet is full of perverts too. I know I'm not one, but according to the popular press you may be...

I have one. Not sure why really. Suppose the fertility one is the closest to truth. Though I do like the idea that the emergency services would look harder for missing children, but I think the car seat might be a better clue.

Also useful for parking in parent and child spots without dirty looks. Baby seat helps in this case too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Why?

'Cause it makes me feel like a big man....;)

It's more for parking when I have the kids in the car. Hopefully people will give a little more space for getting in and out of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Par72

'Cause it makes me feel like a big man....;)

It's more for parking when I have the kids in the car. Hopefully people will give a little more space for getting in and out of the car.

I would never even think of that if I was parking beside someone who had one of those signs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

They're idiotic. People driving should be assigning more or less equal priority to not crashing into any other vehicle on the road, not just one that has someone's brat in it, probably bouncing around unrestrained on the back seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭MR DAZ

My wife has one in her car ... our kid is 6 months old, and to be honest I'm glad she has it up. If nothing else it makes cars behind her aware of the presence of a kid on board.

I wonder how many of yee have kids that are slating them?

:rolleyes:

If you thought that there was a chance that it might stop only one fool from driving too close and causing an accident ... I know what I'd do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,903 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I won't modify my driving style because of seeing one - I'm not driving with the intention of milling the driver in front out of it to begin with. And I don't think you're going to find anyone who does tailgate who'll suddenly stop doing it either.

Well thats your opinion and your entitled to it...;)

The same way I'm entitled to mine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

They're idiotic. People driving should be assigning more or less equal priority to not crashing into any other vehicle on the road, not just one that has someone's brat in it, probably bouncing around unrestrained on the back seat.

+1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

MYOB wrote: »
    I won't modify my driving style because of seeing one - I'm not driving with the intention of milling the driver in front out of it to begin with. And I don't think you're going to find anyone who does tailgate who'll suddenly stop doing it either.

Yeah but you're not a tailgater in the first place so it doesn't make a difference to how you drive.

And the eejits who deliberately tailgate won't stop anyway as you say.

But there's the third group of people. The people who habitually tailgate but don't really mean to cause problems. There's a chance that that type of person might back up a bit if they saw the sign and as an earlier poster said, if it cause just one person to back off then it's worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

I think the real question is why people feel the need to even raise a question about this?? Better questions might have been why feel the need to have LED lights under you car? Why feel the need to have a spoiler? Why feel the need to have a big stupid exhaust or a speaker system that weighs twice your car?

And yes I do have one, and if it that annoys you then my heart is pumping piss for you, really.

And yes I did used to slow down and chill out when I saw it on the back of a car that I might have been getting frustrated at because they were below the speed limit - at least it explained it - and reminded me that getting to my destination 0.3 seconds faster was not important in the slightest.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭omega man

MR DAZ wrote: »
    My wife has one in her car ... our kid is 6 months old, and to be honest I'm glad she has it up. If nothing else it makes cars behind her aware of the presence of a kid on board.

I wonder how many of yee have kids that are slating them?

:rolleyes:

If you thought that there was a chance that it might stop only one fool from driving too close and causing an accident ... I know what I'd do.

Agreed. I would rather my wife drives her car with them (2 kids under 2). How do you all know it does not make a difference to other motorists? This thread appears to be more of an anti kids rant than anything else :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

omega man wrote: »
    This thread appears to be more of an anti kids rant than anything else :confused:

Damn, found out.
    The world is over populated, we can't sustain this many humans on the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Agreed. I would rather my wife drives her car with them (2 kids under 2). How do you all know it does not make a difference to other motorists? This thread appears to be more of an anti kids rant than anything else :confused:

Why should the fact that you're carrying kids in your car give you any special consideration from other motorists?

By your reasoning, if you were carrying your granny instead of your baby it would be alright for other traffic to ram you ...after all, granny has lived her life, hasn't she?

I would sincerly hope that all motorists drive with care and consideration towards ALL other motorists, regardless of who is or isn't in the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

I don't have one on my car and neither does the wife, although we have 2 kids and another one due in a few weeks.

It doesn't bother me that other people have it on their cars - why should it?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

The baby on board stickers are just statements by the owners of the vehicle that their baby is the most precious thing on the road and all other road users should agree to this.
    Unfortunately all other road users that aren't the parents of this particular baby don't see any logic in that statement (perhaps they believe all road users are equally precious) thus rendering baby on board stickers completely and utterly useless.

@ DeepBlue Thats complete rubbish ....

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

MR DAZ wrote: »
    @ DeepBlue Thats complete rubbish ....
    Nah, he's on to something there

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Obviously a good driver/sensible person will not modify their driving based on presence or absence of a BoB sign on another vehicle.

Perhaps when someone puts up a BoB sign thinking that others will take heed of it and drive more safely it says more about *them* than it does about other drivers...in other words the person who puts up a BoB sign on their own car could well be an idiot who tailgates other cars unless they see a BoB sign......

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭omega man

peasant wrote: »
    Why should the fact that you're carrying kids in your car give you any special consideration from other motorists?

By your reasoning, if you were carrying your granny instead of your baby it would be alright for other traffic to ram you ...after all, granny has lived her life, hasn't she?

I would sincerly hope that all motorists drive with care and consideration towards ALL other motorists, regardless of who is or isn't in the car.

What are you talking about?? The sticker doesent imply that the driver requires any different treatment to other road users. Just maybe though it will make someone think a bit more before or during a risky manouvre, thats all. You cant possibly tell me that when you hear a baby has been killed in a road accident that it does not effect you more than if it was an adult?? Saying that my statement implies its ok to ram a car if a granny is in it just highlights your comments stupidity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

so maybe a "PEOPLE ON BOARD" sticker might be a good idea, to remind other users that there are people inside your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

colm_mcm wrote: »
    so maybe a "PEOPLE ON BOARD" sticker might be a good idea, to remind other users that there are people inside your car.

Good point. Often there are not people inside but @$$holes...

You cant possibly tell me that when you hear a baby has been killed in a road accident that it does not effect you more than if it was an adult??
    Actually I can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭tiredmam

What the hell is wrong with people? So far up your own ar*eholes ye? Either that or you are lacking in some department.
    I dont give a hoot, i have a BOB sticker, there was a thread about this before. Live and let live.

tiredmam wrote: »
    What the hell is wrong with people? So far up your own ar*eholes ye? Either that or you are lacking in some department.
    I dont give a hoot, i have a BOB sticker, there was a thread about this before. Live and let live.

Have you decided what age your child will be when you will think about removing this sticker?

Due to obstructing rear windscreens, are BoB signs legal in Ireland?

tuxy wrote: »
    Have you decided what age your child will be when you will think about removing this sticker?

Yep! And will replace it with CHILD ON BOARD, ok!!!

MYOB wrote: »
    Due to obstructing rear windscreens, are BoB signs legal in Ireland?

I dont see it in my rearview mirror

tiredmam wrote: »
    I dont see it in my rearview mirror

That doesn't alter the fact that its obstructing part of the window. Do you reverse solely by using your rearview mirror? If so, please tell me how you ever passed a driving test.

I know you're not allowed have obstructions on the front window other than the required discs/plates if needed. Not sure about the back.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

I have no kids...but I do have an "Attention Whore on Board" sticker in my rear screen. I have it up for the exact same reasons that the parents have their BoB signs up and so far it has served exactly the same purpose and has changed 0% of driver behaviour in surrounding vehicles...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement