Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Baby on board signs

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Wertz wrote: »
    I have no kids...but I do have an "Attention Whore on Board" sticker in my rear screen. I have it up for the exact same reasons that the parents have their BoB signs up and so far it has served exactly the same purpose and has changed 0% of driver behaviour in surrounding vehicles...
    ROFL !

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I find Baby on Board signs to be most useful in warning you that the person ahead of you is most likely being distracted by their <SNIP> (let's call them children, shall we?) and is thus not paying attention to the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭tiredmam

Well then rear headrests should be illegal, cos it is right behind that on my rear window. And i passed my test first time thanks.
    Obviously no talking to some people here. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 68,903 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Rear headrests do not block your view of the window, nor are they obstructions *on* the window, except possibly in a Smart ForTwo.

Still cannot see my sticker, nor does it get in the way! It is not like the big yellow diamond shaped ones.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,129 ✭✭✭Nightwish

Anything on Board stickers are completely pointless. As indicated here most motorists think they are pointless. They only ones who dont think so are those who wish to make a statement as to the "wondrous miracle" that is their kid.

Ignorance is bliss.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

My very personal opinion:

Anyone can stick in their window whatever takes their fancy, they can profess their love for their offspring, Jesus or any Japanese maker of entertainment equipment....I couldn't care less.

Just don't expect (or even demand) that I drive differently because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭MR DAZ

Has anyone on this thread demanded anything, by people driving behind in front or beside them?

No...

The reason as said is that if ONE fool (FROM BOARDS MOTOR FORUM OR ELSE WHERE) decides .... to ease back abit then its done its Job and if not...well what harm has it caused.

MR DAZ wrote: »
    Has anyone on this thread demanded anything, by people driving behind in front or beside them?

No...

The reason as said is that if ONE fool (FROM BOARDS MOTOR FORUM OR ELSE WHERE) decides .... to ease back abit then its done its Job and if not...well what harm has it caused.

Does that not imply a certain expectation of action from others upon displaying that sign ?

Something that could be called a wish / hope or with a bit of a stretch even a demand? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭rigal

Par72 wrote: »
    I would never even think of that if I was parking beside someone who had one of those signs.

I would, especially if it was a bigger car i.e. 4x4, MPV. I never park beside these. Much more likely to get a scratch/ dent off one of their doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭MR DAZ

I'd be the same... I wouldnt park my car beside them either, definately a bigger risk of a scratch on your car.

People travelling with young kids or babies are far more likely to be distracted on the road whilst driving than than say someone travelling on thier own or in adult company.

And they shouldnt be foregiven for this at all! but its life.....so what does a sign do?

It alerts the drivers coming behind this person "Might" and I stress "Might" not be paying full attention to the road...so in the interest of that drivers own safety, Does it not make sence to have these up?

or worst case It doesnt do any harm.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

MR DAZ wrote: »
    It alerts the drivers coming behind this person "Might" and I stress "Might" not be paying full attention to the road...so in the interest of that drivers own safety, Does it not make sence to have these up?

or worst case It doesnt do any harm.

:confused:
    It also saps the goodwill of many fellow motorists, which is not a good thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

I always thought those signs were meant for my baby to read, so as when he's on the dash, he can realise that the car we are overtaking on the wrong side of the road has a small person in it too, so we can all wave. (edit better add a smilie, just in case) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

I drive closer to them and try to push them off the road. Revenge for causing scratches to my bodywork in the supermarket car park :mad:
    I then take the sticker off their wrecked car and add it to my wall of victims.
    It's in the basement with the single light bulb that swings from its wire.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

jeesus it's no wonder there is as many accidents on the road with all of the anal feckers driving on it...must be hard to drive when you are busy disappearing up your own arseholes...

..some folk just need to get a life...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 792 ✭✭✭bigpinkelephant

jeesus it's no wonder there is as many accidents on the road with all of the anal feckers driving on it...must be hard to drive when you are busy disappearing up your own arseholes...

..some folk just need to get a life...

You have a way with words... Smooth... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭cpoh1

Are those baby on board stickers not a piss take like the other joke stickers you see around on cars?

If people are putting them up for serious reasons then ill have to stop laughing because its just not funny anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭omega man

Look, unless you have a baby or young child you cant really comment on why you do or do not put the b.o.b sticker on display. In my case the wife has one but i dont. I must admit that i do drive slower (less risky lets say) when i have one or both of the kids in my car, more so then if i had my wife, mother or friends etc in the car. Its just a natural protective instinct. So i personally believe that the sticker represents that same natural instinct to protect your kids. Does it work? who knows! Even if its just piece of mind so be it. For those who are getting emotional over them just let it go for the love of god.

omega man wrote: »
    I must admit that i do drive slower (less risky lets say) when i have one or both of the kids in my car, more so then if i had my wife, mother or friends etc in the car. Its just a natural protective instinct.

Please don't take that the wrong way now, but if you feel the need to drive "less risky" when your kids are in the car ...well, then you're probably driving "too risky" on all the other occasions.

Please do your fellow motorists a favour and include them in your "protective instincts", even when you're not ferrying your kids around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭jaggiebunnet

peasant wrote: »
    Please don't take that the wrong way now, but if you feel the need to drive "less risky" when your kids are in the car ...well, then you're probably driving "too risky" on all the other occasions.

nonsense.

nonsense.

So why would there be a need to drive differently depending on who's in the car ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Par72 wrote: »
    I would never even think of that if I was parking beside someone who had one of those signs.

But would you now? The point I mean is when taking a baby out of a car, usually in the "Rock-a-tot", you need to open the door fully somethime more than a standard parking space alows. (Which is why there are parent and child spots in shopping centres). If I was parking and seen a BOB, I would take the next available spot for the reason above and also to stop my car getting a belt of a door.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭omega man

peasant wrote: »

Please do your fellow motorists a favour and include them in your "protective instincts", even when you're not ferrying your kids around.

Man you really are itching to argue. 'Less risky' i said, as in perhaps not overtaking a car in a 100 zone if the car if front is doing 80 etc. I never said i drive like a mad man when i dont have the kids. You are making personal assumptions about me from insufficient information, please dont. I have not questioned your driving experience or skills so i would appreciate the same respect.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

This thread was never meant to make it to page 6. :(

omega man wrote: »
    Man you really are itching to argue. 'Less risky' i said, as in perhaps not overtaking a car in a 100 zone if the car if front is doing 80 etc. I never said i drive like a mad man when i dont have the kids. You are making personal assumptions about me from insufficient information, please dont. I have not questioned your driving experience or skills so i would appreciate the same respect.

My driving experience and skills (I believe) are pretty good. I haven't had an accident (or even a close shave) since 1991.

And no, I don't have children ...I just drive as if I did ...all the time.

I do value all life equally ...mine, yours, that of your children and I behave and drive accordingly not to endanger it.

So forgive me for feeling insulted when somebody expects "extra care and consideration" out of me because they have their baby on board.

Why should somebodies baby be weighted more than me ...or any third party?

That is an extremely selfish attitude "my baby is the most prescious thing on earth" ...and selfishness is just what you don't want in traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,433 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

tuxy wrote: »
    This thread was never meant to make it to page 6. :(

And on that note:

key_lock-animated.gif

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement