Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

need some mixing done - who to call? where to go?

Options
  • 24-06-2008 11:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭

In the middle of recording an albumn with a band a the moment.
    It has become clear that we will not be able to mix this one ourselves.
    - I would like to find someone who is good but havent a clue where to look.
    any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

There are quite a few good guys around. Possibly the most experienced on Boards is StudioRat.

It depends on what style of music ........... plus the Budget!

Actually , probably the other way around...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭henessjon

nad what medium have you used to record to?

tape

pro tools

ne other

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

Antimo Puca - AP studios near marley park dublin

http://www.apstudios.net/home.htm

he is wicked good - great ears - and its a great studio

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

I'd like to have a chat about that with ya.
    Why don't you send me a message and see if we can figure something out.
    Tnx.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭jasperok

Thanks for all the replies and pm's!!
    I didn't expect such a response to be honest, i don't frequent the forums much and was just chancing my arm asking the question.

so to give more info on what we have and what we want doing to it:

some people have been curios about what / how was recorded maybe worried about the garbage in garbage out theory! anyway i'll try and give a good idea, i am the bass player and the soundman on this one i have tried my best to use good mic'ing techniques and placement and all that but nevertheless i am an ameteur - however all the waves are fat andhealthy and i dont thjink there is anything desperately wrong with any of the tracks, sure a pro would of done better but you work with what you got aye? we were lucky enough tohave access to a small studio with a handful of decent mics and a preamp.

recorded with the trusty peronal computer - used sonar for software and a mackie 1640 onyyx firewire interface.
    all tracks of songs are wav files - remote mixing is probably what will happen whoever we get.

13 songs.

each song has a drum line taking 10 tracks (nt5 rode overheads through neve preamp - octakia mk012 pair for ride and hi hats - beta52 for kick and - sm57 snare top, beta 57 snare bottom - 3 x senheiser 603 tom mics.
    only the nt5's went through the neve - it was hard to choose which 2 to use it for!!

each song has a bass line taking 3 tracks - sm57 and neuman u87 through the neve and a raw sm58. loking like the 58 track will be ditched and the finished bass sound will be a mix of the sm57 and the u87 or maybe even just the u87 it came out suprisingly nice if not a bit wooly.

most songs has an acoustic track recodred with rode nt5 pair.

every song has electric guitar tracks mostly have 2 some have 3
    recorded with sm57 and telefunken ribbon mic

evry song has 3 vocals some with a fourth track recorded with u87 and akg43401a through the neve.

at the moment there is no orchestration i am doubting there will be we are half way through the week so not 100% sure yet, we may listen to the rough mixes on sunday get a feel for the albumn and decide to spend a bit of time on orchestration wich would push this mixing work back a month. if it stands well on its own though we may keep it simple without.

as for type i suppose rock with a strong folk element.

I have access to a mac with logic or DP and a UAD card and a host of plugins but to be honest i wouldn't do them justice, i have mixed our demos/albumn before and it it has been fine but for this one we want someone who knows what they are doing to mix it - we want it to be obvious(to us at leasst!) that WE didn't mix it, we are not looking for someone who has a workstation and a bit of software as thats me- we are looking for someone who has a bit of experience/know how and maybe even some of the right gear forthe job, I know its not essential but it can help the job if the mixing engineer has the tools,
    ultimaely hearing work of the engineer previous projects would help us decide. no doubt wil the financial aspect!! wspecialy as we hadnt budgeted for this at all - i had all but decided to mix and master myself again but the more i learn about it the more i'd like someone who really knows to do it -

4 people have offerd to do a song for free to give us an idea of there work and i must admit that sounds fantastic as of course its free and you get to really sample the goods!
    however i'd like to openly make sure its not considered underhanded to let 4 people do it?? would like to give them the same song and see the different results.

anyway thats the info that i perhaps should of given in hte opningpost, sorry about that, like isaid,underestimated the activity around here!

thanks for reading

cheers

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭henessjon

good luck with your quest, i would be not have enough experience
    for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

guess I shoulda sent a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

Its not the gear its you ear:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭jasperok

totally agree dav!
    that came accross a bit snobish - very good results can be got with jyst a pc and a few plugins - if ythe person has the ear for it they can often do better than someone with more equipment than you can shake a stick it but doesn't have the ear for it -
    i guess my point was kind of void really - though i'd like to think the songs at the end of the day would be afforeded the best oppurtunity so best case scenario is someone with both the equipment and the ear!!
    will drop you a pm rat!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

jasperok wrote: »
    though i'd like to think the songs at the end of the day would be afforeded the best oppurtunity so best case scenario is someone with both the equipment and the ear!!
    will drop you a pm rat!

As I always say Good Gear won't make your music better - but bad gear will make your music worse ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12 creedtt@gmail.c

I bought the Yamaha AW1600G digital studio a few years ago , for the price of a P.C , have recorded 3 albums on it, one of which got good radio play on west cork radio, charity cds mainly folk/trad/ballads.its superb the best money i ever spent.
    the aw1600 is now available from thomann.de for around 700e , if i was buying/upgrading again i would go for that, add afew mics like the AKG-50 OR T-BONE range and you will never look back, will also burn to cd or transfer to u.s.B so you can load songs/tracks onto p.c for CUBASE/LOGIC e.t.c afterwards.
    quiet a learning curve but lots of power user manuals e.t.c on www
    cheers
    t

Advertisement