Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT rate appeal

Options
  • 25-06-2008 1:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭

I am importing a 1997 Discovery 2.0 mpi. Cheapest model made no options. The on line ROS VRT rate is over twice what a fully loaded 2.5 TD5 automatic same year is. Has anyone gone through the appeal process to Rosslare? Anyone have luck. I know I have to pay to play. Pay then appeal is the procedure from I gather.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Yes, its a proceedure with no guarantee that they'll relent and adhere to your opinion and valuation.
    Remember, the tax man is not policed - they'll do what they want and charge us all what they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Dermo123

I went through an appeal for a 1988 Merc 190E 2.6 last year. The rate quote for the car was €850. In checking other years the rate was the same for a 1993 model also. There was no reduction as you selected older cars for this exact model. The 2.0 version did have a reduced rate as you selected older cars. Before I VRT'd the car I queried this anomoly and they altered the rate such that the new quoted rate was €427. Slightly different circumstances to yours but it proves that they will listen to reasoned argument.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Never heard of an Discovery MPI

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Didn't know they made the Discovery with a 2.0 litre engine either, thought the smallest one was the 2.5TD?

OP are you sure your not confusing this with the smaller Freelander?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

The 2.0 (1994cc)16v Rover 620 engine was an engine option from 93 to 98 only. For me lower road tax cheaper insurance and not the tractor diesel will suit me fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭jetfiremuck

Update my brother cleared it today with ano go on the (inflated I think) OMSP, Lassie spoke to supervisor thats it she says. Up to their eyes. Comparing the stat codes 4087099,43387111 and 40287097 (my vehicle) with 60k miles. shows the difference. So on with VRT 6 form to Rosslare. Vrt offices will be crazy tomorrow and Monday. Good Luck. Monday at 5.01pm Til all be history.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Remember, the tax man is not policed - they'll do what they want and charge us all what they want.
    Not so. If you're not happy with Revenue's determination on your appeal, you can take it to the Appeal Commissioners, who are independent of Revenue. Think you can appeal the Appeal Commissioners' decision to the High Court too, but only on a point of law.

If you make a good case in your appeal (facts, actual Irish prices etc. - with documentary proof), you stand a fair chance of a favourable result.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

One of my mates sent in an appeal 3 weeks ago,he imported an evo 6 that needed a new wing and bonnet with the price coming to 1300.When he was clearing it the officer said she couldnt reestimate the price but came out and took note of the damage and told him to appeal.

He got the bits fixed and sent down a letter along with reciept for the repair costs ect and called today to see if there was any update,they said theres currently a 2/3month backlog that literally everyones jumping on the bandwagon and if he hasnt had any correspondance within 2 months to contact them again.

He's doubtfull of getting anything back now but its worth a try either ways,as said,just get as much information as possible and try to include all facts or proof that you can and hopefully you get something back

Advertisement