Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Planning Permission

Options
  • 25-06-2008 3:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭

Hi, just wondering does anyone know what Tesco want to build. I think the house beside the supermarket has a planning notice outside it too so presumably they are going to join the two pieces of land together - just wondering does any one know what is happening there.
    thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 finianmurphy

Officially no but there's been moves for a few years to build a petrol station. Others claim they are building am underground car park as well as a second storey. Not sure how much truth is in this

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

• Registered Users Posts: 14,937 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

no petrol station mentioned there surprisingly enough, but it looks like it will be a substantially bigger store than is there at present (13000 sq m - how big is that?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Lil' Smiler

Do they really need all of that? Whenever I go in it's not very busy at all! I suppose for Christmas etc.

Would be great if they put a petrol station in though!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,863 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

seems odd they would be looking to expand at the exact same time the place in bray is doubling its size...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭drag0n79

RosieJoe wrote: »

That's a lot of work - changing the roads, new traffic lights etc. as well...

I remember when it was just a big field!!

Tauren wrote: »
    seems odd they would be looking to expand at the exact same time the place in bray is doubling its size...

Didn't know Bray was getting done up... it does need extra parking spaces though!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,863 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

as far as I know they are digging under the existing store and making it a two storey place - i remember something being mentioned about extra parking but not exactly sure what.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

i heard that it's going to be closed for 18 months while they do whatever they're doing. have heard petrol station and carpark but not sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭bennyblanco

Met a guy who works for them around 2 months ago on the DART and he told me they were going for a petrol station for definite.
    For what it's worth :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭pnott

My brother actually works at Tesco's HQ and he told me in detail what is happening. What they have planned for the site is that the current shop will be demolished and and a new centre built. The new centre will have around 590 car spaces with the car park being at ground level and the store above it. The store will be a hypermarket, just like the store in Clarehall in North Dublin and it will be about twice the size of the old one. There will also be a few little shops in a mall type set up and they probably will be taken up by the current shops in the old centre.

In regards to what will happen during construction, the mall part of it will be built next to the old store and will have a little centra type shop which will be used by Tesco so once that little Tesco is open the old will be demolished and the new one built. Once the new big Tesco is done the small one will be converted into small little shops.

No mention of a petrol station in the planning application but I am sure one will be built at some point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

that sounds like a lot of construction traffic and i live just round the corner....
    you have any idea how long it's going to take pnott?

It does. I live around the corner of it too. I think sometime in 2010 is the projected completion date. The entrance to the car park is off the Bellevue road where the entrance to the service area is currently located. Of course it all depends on an bord pleanala and if they will grant it permission.

but I want petrol :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭matt-dublin

pnott wrote: »
    The store will be a hypermarket, just like the store in Clarehall in North Dublin and it will be about twice the size of the old one.

doesn't sound right, clairhall is one of the biggest tesco stores in ireland, something along the lines of 40 or 50 thousand sq feet i believe.

13,000 sq m = ~140,000 sq ft

not clear from the planning if thats the entire floor area or just the foodstore.

The entire centre including Tesco, the smaller retail units, offices and the storage and service area for Tesco is 13,000sqm (140,000 sqft). The store itself is 7,802 gross sqm and has a net retail floorspace of 5,314 sqm (57,000 sqft). The store in Clarehall I believe has a net retail space of 5,400 sqm. All these figures I am getting are from the planning report so that is what they have planned.

Advertisement