Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legality,who to talk to?

Options
  • 25-06-2008 9:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hi,I recently have been working on a business plan for a new idea of mine.Now I know this is going to be very vague.I cannot give much away but the idea I have is a service but will more than likely require some sort of trading license.I have seen the above sticky regarding who one should talk to when starting up a business but I need to contact the organisation who could tell me the legality of setting up such a service as I do not know of any other in the region.I was hoping somebody here could point me in the right direction?

Thank You,
    Fran

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Dabko

hi there,

can you give a ball park example as to what it is you are venturing into? Your question is a tad on the vague side.

As in - The alcohol trade, Gaming, Sexy-time shops...etc:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 frangleberry

Yes sorry for being so vague,basically the idea was something similar to an off licence with no actual shop instead they would deliver to your door,I know a lot of off-licences do deliver but was wondering is it actually legal,I'm sure the off licences doing it are not doing it legally if you know what I mean.My idea would be based around this service or something similar,what I wanted to know is if it is legal to have such a service and what licences etc. would be required?

Hope you can help
    Thanks
    Fran

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 frangleberry

Thanks for the quick response The Scientist,I will look into it with the district court then.I would imagine they are quite pricey,any idea of a ball park figure?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Dabko

Thanks for the quick response The Scientist,I will look into it with the district court then.I would imagine they are quite pricey,any idea of a ball park figure?

In order to sell alcohol like this, you need a full off-license - premises or not! Currently off-licenses are fetching somewhere in the region of 120,00.00 +.

Also, you will need to be sourcing your products in bulk and importing from abroad to make any decent profit. The best way to handle stock like this is to operate from a bonded warehouse which will save you paying the duty on what you import until after you have sold the goods.

One idea i may add is that if you plan on operating an online business like booze.ie and the like, couple it with a drive through beer wholesale warehouse. In this way, you will have a licensed premises already with drinks wholesale one side and an online sales/distribution on the other.

I'm in the drinks trade my self and ill tell you, its a very tight market that relies heavily on stock turnover.

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

I can't help directly with your question but if you'll bear with me I'd like to share my experience in this. I work in the bar trade and a friend of mine a Barmanagar was keen to go into his own biz in off-license trade as it seemed cheaper to get started.
    I pitched the same idea in delivery (albeit in his case by phone) . However on some research I found the government and the off licence community are generally opposed to the idea and in our nanny state may risk being outlawed. I dunno how likely that is but it might be worth considering.
    Another key point is how to confirm age? You would definitely need to scan IDs on delivery in case of any incidents which may result in you being accused of supplying to under age. That restricts your delivery area to regional so it would help if you're located in a dense area.

Advertisement