Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Dicounted E200Ks on Merc dealers forecourts

Options
  • 25-06-2008 9:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 25

Hi, first post and a tag onto another thread discussing discounts by BMW and Merc in preperation for July 1st.

Question - 2006 Merc E200k fully loaded for €39,950. There are a lot around at the moment for this price.

Question is, is it a good buy? Its certainly cheaper then usual, but will the E200k plumit in value over the next few years due to the more attractive pricing on the diesel models. Could you loose your shirt on this car when trading in in three years time? Is it a good buy now?

All wisdom and opinions very welcome.

Pastyp

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,587 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

A brand new E220CDI is 45k from July. 40k for a 2 year old E200k doesn't look good value compared to that, no matter what the spec.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I agree. That E200k is no bargain.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Price up a brand new one for registration before the end of the month, you'd be surprised at the cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 pastyp

Just downloaded the very handy mercedes excel sheet from this forum - new E200k from July 1st is increasing in price to €64,243. Compared with the E220 CDI of 45k, whos ever going to buy the 200k from july 1st on? With that fact you'd expect the E200k to loose big money over the next three years and be worth very little at trade in.

Thanks for that and also for the Excel spreadsheet - very helpful

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Depends on how you look at it, post July E200K makes no sense, pre July E200K begins to look like good value, having had their values hammered by the diesel. As to how favourably it will be received as a trade in down the line is anyones guess, but if you hold onto it for a few years, then as a second hand car it is worth serious consideration.

• Advertisement

pastyp wrote: »
    Just downloaded the very handy mercedes excel sheet from this forum - new E200k from July 1st is increasing in price to €64,243. Compared with the E220 CDI of 45k, whos ever going to buy the 200k from july 1st on? With that fact you'd expect the E200k to loose big money over the next three years and be worth very little at trade in.

that was the expected price based on vrt change. Mercedes cut the price: the E200k is actually €57,350 from July 1. The pricelist is available on mercedes website:

http://www.mercedes-benz.ie/content/media_library/ireland/mpc_ireland/passenger_cars/new_cars/PriceLists/1st_july_2008_price.object-Single-MEDIA.download.tmp/01-07-2008_Retail_Price_List.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 pastyp

I would imagine that I wait a few weeks the 39,950 prices that all the merc garages are quoting for 2006 E200ks at the moment will have come down a good bit as a result of the change July 1st. Will be interesting to see how they deal with this over the coming weeks/months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭thesoulfulldude

pastyp wrote: »

ehhh doesnt that mean that the older e200 will hold its value well if the price is going up, more people will look for second hand?

price goes up demand goes down and people will look for an alternative ie an older e200.... just a theory we do in economics :o

ehhh doesnt that mean that the older e200 will hold its value well if the price is going up, more people will look for second hand?

price goes up demand goes down and people will look for an alternative ie an older e200.... just a theory we do in economics :o

mmm, no.

usually economic theory looks at things a little less simplisticly than that. The E220CDI has more power and lower road tax and were previously much more expensive than the E200K. The alternative isn't an older E200k people will buy the E220CDI whose second hand prices will also go down. The E200K will be practically impossible to sell and will be phased out unless they get a new engine.

Hopefully they'll teach you a little more before letting you loose on the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

copacetic wrote: »
    Hopefully they'll teach you a little more before letting you loose on the world.

Cross elasticity is, i believe the term the economists use. Thankfully I'm not one though! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

mmm, no.

usually economic theory looks at things a little less simplisticly than that. The E220CDI has more power and lower road tax and were previously much more expensive than the E200K. The alternative isn't an older E200k people will buy the E220CDI whose second hand prices will also go down. The E200K will be practically impossible to sell and will be phased out unless they get a new engine.

And the award for the most patronising post goes to...

And the award for the most patronising post goes to...

<elvis>thank you, thank you very much</elvis>

It was tough to beat soulfuls post but I think I played a stormer there in reply if I do say so myself.

<elvis>thank you, thank you very much</elvis>

It was tough to beat soulfuls post but I think I played a stormer there in reply if I do say so myself.

em no you didnt, in a perfect world people would not stray to a diffrent car, tell me the diffrence between these 2 cars? cause from 45 to 65 there has to be a fair difrence

em no you didnt, in a perfect world people would not stray to a diffrent car, tell me the diffrence between these 2 cars? cause from 45 to 65 there has to be a fair difrence

firstly it isn't 65, secondly is this your first trip to the motors forum? ever heard of vrt?

firstly it isn't 65, secondly is this your first trip to the motors forum? ever heard of vrt?

ehhh im sorry for rounding 'new E200k from July 1st is increasing in price to €64,243.' up to 65k! there is clearly a difrence between e200k and e220cdi, somebody please explain the diffrence

ehhh im sorry for rounding 'new E200k from July 1st is increasing in price to €64,243.' up to 65k! there is clearly a difrence between e200k and e220cdi, somebody please explain the diffrence

oh, ffs, read post 7:
    that was the expected price based on vrt change. Mercedes cut the price: the E200k is actually €57,350 from July 1. The pricelist is available on mercedes website:

http://www.mercedes-benz.ie/content/...Price_List.pdf

the only difference between the cars is the engine, if you don't know why that makes a difference to the price post July then read the 100s of threads about it.

oh, ffs, read post 7:

the only difference between the cars is the engine, if you don't know why that makes a difference to the price post July then read the 100s of threads about it.

jesus sorry for not reading every post here, i read your post and you said 65, and is cdi diesel? i wouldnt change from a petrol to diesel, i really dont think the e200 is going to loose its value its a merc

i read your post and you said 65,

no I feckin didn't, my post was post 7 as quoted above. I give up, I dunno whether you are a troll or if the dim witted posts are for real at this stage.

no I feckin didn't, my post was post 7 as quoted above. I give up, I dunno whether you are a troll or if the dim witted posts are for real at this stage.

it wasnt you it was some1 else, im not paying attention to who said the price, e200 will hold value end of

Advertisement