Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CAD technician Opinion

Options
  • 25-06-2008 10:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 29

Hi,

For any of you who work as a CAD technician would there be any point in applying for any type of job in an architects office or engineering firm with just a city and guild cert in AutoCAD 2D..... and a willingness to learn?! :) I completed the course in Colaiste Dhulaigh in April and am still waiting for results. With the decline in the building industry i do realise that jobs are scarce enough but as i said i would like to hear peoples opinions on wether i'd be flogging a dead horse by applying for jobs in the sector?

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭sickle

its very difficult to get someone to take you on as they will have to invest alot of time and energy training you but you could strike lucky.
    I did a few CAD courses and got an engineering company to take me on as a junior cad tech and have been working at it the past 3 years. I was totally useless to begin with but am very competent now. They are even sending me to DIT to do civil eng tech course part time. Its worth doing if you can't get in as a junior (ie you can still earn a living and train for what you want to do)
    Personally i would send my CV off to as many companies as I could and apply to study more (part time), you will have to do it one way or the other to progress in the job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 giftbasket

CAD is an excellent technical course ,should be learn by technical students for upgrading their knowledge,

As a computer aided design (CAD) technician, you would use software to create design plans for buildings and machinery in a wide range of industries, such as engineering, construction and manufacturing. You could work in 2D design, which is known as surface modelling, and 3D design – called solid modelling.

Thank you

Link snipped

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

giftbasket wrote: »
    CAD is an excellent technical course ,should be learn by technical students for upgrading their knowledge,

As a computer aided design (CAD) technician, you would use software to create design plans for buildings and machinery in a wide range of industries, such as engineering, construction and manufacturing. You could work in 2D design, which is known as surface modelling, and 3D design – called solid modelling.

Thank you
    Link snipped

WTF???

Did you have a big Spam sandwich for lunch?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,284 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

WTF???

Did you have a big Spam sandwich for lunch?
    Its a shame she doesn't even know what they are talking about.
    giftbasket wrote: »

Thank you

Link snipped

2D modelling is not surface modelling.

Surface modelling is 3d modelling, as is solid modelling. They are distinct difference, and diferent 3D prodecures and commands for each.

2D is ortographic projection, or isometric, or axnometric, or oblique,
    Basically 2D is projection

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Barnia

Hi there
    I'm in the same boat as you... been workin at cad for 2.5yrs and am hoping to go to dit
    nxt yr to do the civil engineering tech course, how did you find it? for me i dont have the strongest mathimatical background so im wondering how i will find it
    thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭snickerpuss

Moved to CAD forum.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 sirmoff

Barnia wrote: »
    Hi there
    I'm in the same boat as you... been workin at cad for 2.5yrs and am hoping to go to dit
    nxt yr to do the civil engineering tech course, how did you find it? for me i dont have the strongest mathimatical background so im wondering how i will find it
    thanks
    Hope i can be some help to you, I was in the exact same boat as yourself, i had worked in CAD for 2 years when i first applied to do a 2-D and 3-D course in CAD. After completing the course i then went on to do an Degree in Civil Engineering.
    I found taht having the course done first it gave me a lot more time to concentrate on Maths and other Mathematical Based subjects within the course eg. Hydraulics, Soils and Structural Analysis. I was also poor at maths and did find it hard to pass. A D3 in pass in the Leaving Cert.
    However with a small bit of effort and study i think you shouldnt find it too hard. I passed and i can't say i worked myself into the ground! Good Luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 Barnia

anyone know how much a cad technician would earn after 3 years experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭rayjdav

In todays economy?? You serious?;)
    Really depends on what branch of experience have (Arch/Eng/Pharmacuticals etc etc)
    If you could get a job fair dues but a hell of a lot less than we used to.
    Started as CadMonkey and eventually, after 10+ yrs got Arch Tech RIAI exams, as C&G in todays world is really not good enough, imho.
    Used to guage earnings against agency web sites but, alas, even that has disappeared. Only job I have been offered in the last year is in Dubai, and that place is falling to shreads too.:eek:

Advertisement