Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

any advice for a first time cycle into the city center tomorrow morning

Options
  • 25-06-2008 10:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭

Im planning on cycling from Balbriggan to the city center tomorrow morning. Madness I know. but I need to get the mileage in for the ROK!!
    My route is Balbriggan to Swords (via the r132) then onto the N1 (via the r127/r132) and straight in. (gosh it sounds so easy....:eek:)

so I am basically looking for advice on cycling in the traffic, say from the N1 inwards, do's and dont's etc. the taxis/bus/pedestrians. is it really ok to cycle on the foot path if im not feeling safe on the road? ie if a bus is driving up my behind!

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

sooty11 wrote: »
    Im planning on cycling from Balbriggan to the city center tomorrow morning. Madness I know. but I need to get the mileage in for the ROK!!
    My route is Balbriggan to Swords (via the r132) then onto the N1 (via the r127/r132) and straight in. (gosh it sounds so easy....:eek:)

so I am basically looking for advice on cycling in the traffic, say from the N1 inwards, do's and dont's etc. the taxis/bus/pedestrians. is it really ok to cycle on the foot path if im not feeling safe on the road? ie if a bus is driving up my behind!

cheers

Nope - its not okay to cycle on the foot path. if there is a bus driving up your behind, ignore them, ensure you have a safe distance between you and the kerb. Don't try and squash yourself up to make room - always make sure you have enough room for yourself. Never cycle on the foot path.

This counts, imho, for "cyclepaths" on the footpath. There is one from the Airport roundabout down to morton stadium and another one from whitehall to drumcondra. I'd avoid them. Taxi drivers and buses don't like it but its better than getting creamed by a pedestrian.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Cycling on the footpath is never ok.

Just be assertive, take the middle of the lane you are in. Chances are most buses will have to stop at a bus stop eventually so they can be safely ignored. Ignore drivers who beep at you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Fair play to you, that's a long commute.
    All the above is good advice. Maybe bring a little snack with you for munching on, especially on the way home.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭sooty11

Thanks guys

ya, I was asking about the footpath cause I drive in that way some mornings and always see people cycling on the footpaths the whole way in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭oobydooby

No offence intended here, but if you're not very comfortable on the road I'd suggest another route, or leaving it to the weekend. There are plenty of nice cycling roads out Rush, Lusk, Balbriggan Donabate - perhaps an hour spin in the evening would be more enjoyable. This road is pretty uncomfortable to cycle on IMHO. I often cycle out to Ballymun commuting along via the N1 and don't really enjoy it (still better than driving).

Anyway, sorry to be negative, but as the previous poster said, hold your position in the road and let the cars/busses overtake you when it's safe for them to do so. Don't cycle a cm from the kerb to allow them to squeeze past.

Sorry I can't recommend an alternative quieter route into town either - but good luck!

• Advertisement

Raam wrote: »
    Fair play to you, that's a long commute.
    All the above is good advice. Maybe bring a little snack with you for munching on, especially on the way home.

yep i know its long...but ive been psyching myself up for this for a few days now. ive even brought in my change of clothes in with me today so im not carrying a bag on my back for the cycle. good idea on the snack!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Hi Y,

Think of the rain jacket too :) get a reflective one so you're more visible if if starts raining. Learn how to look over your shoulder and keep eye contact with motorists.

Good Luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

I'd say take your time, keep calm and be aware of what's going on around you. As all others have said, take the lane. I don't generally cycle in the middle, but I'd certainly have a good bit of space between me and the gutter.

If you find you're in the wrong lane for a turn, or get stuck, there's no shame in pulling up onto the path and walking the bike across a traffic light to get to where you need to go. You'll remember the right lane for next time. Same with roundabouts. If you don't know it's coming, you can be in completely the wrong lane to go around on the bike.

There's some more info on the wiki as well.
    http://wiki.boards.ie/wiki/Safe_Cycling

Good luck

oobydooby wrote: »
    No offence intended here, but if you're not very comfortable on the road I'd suggest another route, or leaving it to the weekend. There are plenty of nice cycling roads out Rush, Lusk, Balbriggan Donabate - perhaps an hour spin in the evening would be more enjoyable. This road is pretty uncomfortable to cycle on IMHO. I often cycle out to Ballymun commuting along via the N1 and don't really enjoy it (still better than driving).

not at all your grand. Ive been cycling all around those those routes you mentioned for a few months now....(totally agree with the crappy roads)
    Ive done balbriggan to swords a few times so I know about those dodgy roundabouts before lissenhall. ive just never cycled in the city center....
    i plan on leaving very early...so to try an avoid the bulk of the heavy traffic and irate drivers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

I’ve often gone from the Santry exit to Town a few times.
    It’s tough enough tbh, in town commuting terms.
    It’s mostly downhill and smooth, you’ll have no problem keeping up with traffic, but be careful if you decide to do some overtaking.

Because it’s on the way to the Airport, there’s a lot of buses. If they want to overtake you make sure they have to change lanes to do so.
    Dorset St. is pretty horrid (lots of junctions, lots of peds, lots of taxi’s), keep your wits about you there. If you’re doing it for training it might be best to avoid it, there’s a lot of starting and stopping.
    There are some footpath-cycle tracks. They can be safely ignored, but don’t be so proud that you won’t get off and walk a bit if you feel tired.

On the way back there’s an alleged cycle track on the footpath, which a lot of people use. I’ve never gone up that way, but it’s all uphill and there are lots of impatient buses. Going back that way might cause you some stress.

Generally I've found motorists to have an above average level of soundness on that route for some reason.

Good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

I do the piece of the route from north of santry village to town every evening on my way home.
    Dont use the cycle path outside airways indst estate. It comes to a sudden end at a bus stop usually with lots of people waiting. Stay in the bus lane.
    Your biggest problem will be taxis....lots of them on way from airport. they always use santry (not motorway)in hope of picking up a fare.
    Road surface from Swiss cottage pub down to Comet pub is bad.
    Watch out for cars pulling into bus lane from dual carriageway
    around whitehall church. They generally wont see you if you are towards kerb.
    Stay in bus lane past Regency hotel. Stay out from kerb as there is not really enough room for taxis/buses to pass you. You will be going fairly fast on this downhill section so usually not a problem.dont use bit of cycle path before Griffith Avenue. Bus lane down by St Pats is fine.I turn off at Richmond road so am not sure about rest of route.

Best of luck...

wow thanks folks this is great info!!!
    ill have to print this off and read it again tonight!
    much appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I've only started cycling into the city over the past month or two so little experience and I'm not on that route. But for what its worth my advice is route planning is critical. For me the shortest route is not the fastest or the safest. The route with the least junctions/good quality cycle lane is. Watch out for other cyclists some are as dangerous as cars for cutting across. Even when you plan the route, you'll probably change it after doing it for real a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Sean02

Sooty if you think cycling into City is hazardous wait till you do the ROK. Seriously you will have the get used to cycling with groups. Try and get as many charity runs in to build up your confidence. Better again join a organised group, no shortage of them around Balbriggan. Take care.

awwww...when i saw the weather this morning i chickened out....
    maybe tomorrow....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

:pac:
    sooty11 wrote: »
    awwww...when i saw the weather this morning i chickened out....
    maybe tomorrow....
    OH!!! and you call yourself a Cyclist? scared of a bit of water!? heheh only joking. I managed to avoid the rain this morning ... and hopefully I can also avoid it tonight ...

haha, it will be done!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

Rain is grand, once your soaked completely you can't get any wetter so it becomes irrelavent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭ozchick

Sooty, I don't blame you!! It's awful out there now.

And I agree taxi drivers are buggers when you ride in the bus lane, even at 8am on a Sunday morning on the N11

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Verb wrote: »
    ...there's no shame in pulling up onto the path and walking the bike across a traffic light to get to where you need to go. ... Same with roundabouts...

+1 (Especially with roundabouts IMHO)
    Also if you're cycling in the pissing rain, remember everyone's brakes take longer to stop, car windows steam up, everyone's visibility is generally reduced and it's way easier to fall off the bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭Rob_l

BostonB wrote: »
    I've only started cycling into the city over the past month or two so little experience and I'm not on that route. But for what its worth my advice is route planning is critical. For me the shortest route is not the fastest or the safest. The route with the least junctions/good quality cycle lane is. Watch out for other cyclists some are as dangerous as cars for cutting across. Even when you plan the route, you'll probably change it after doing it for real a few times.

Yeah any nice long straight roads with few junctions and nice wide bus lanes are your friend for sure, you will save time over going the seemingly shorter route

Advertisement