Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New Helmet safety test from the UK

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Ive gone off Arai, they just keep getting more and more expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

Time for that new lid I've been putting off. Maybe an AGV S-4.

My current AGV K-series is only 3 stars. :eek:

Anyone have a link to a good shop up North? I can get to Newry every other week or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Dorsanty wrote: »
    Time for that new lid I've been putting off. Maybe an AGV S-4.

My current AGV K-series is only 3 stars. :eek:

Anyone have a link to a good shop up North? I can get to Newry every other week or so.
    Crossons of Newry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭KTRIC

I spent a fortune on a Arai Viper GT , can't believe it got only 3 stars. I won't be buying one again. I haven't been impressed by it yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

KTRIC wrote: »
    I spent a fortune on a Arai Viper GT , can't believe it got only 3 stars. I won't be buying one again. I haven't been impressed by it yet.
    I have the Arai Astra paid e450 two years ago, not a mark on it can't believe it now rated a dud. Recently I was knocking a mate for skimping on his e150 lid that has a higher rating than mine. I like the comfort and weight of an Arai. My previous lid, an Arai Nr3 was destroyed in a spill and served its purpose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Hopefully this will finally put a nail in the coffin of the theory that the more you spend on a lid, the safer it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

That test is a load of bolloks. It only tested scenarios as if you fell in a certain way not how good a helmet is overall.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭gabgab

I dont know whether that is bollox or not but I would be very curious to see what the actual test covered etc,

Especially as I have just spent €430 on one :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

That test is a load of bolloks. It only tested scenarios as if you fell in a certain way not how good a helmet is overall.

Maybe, but all companies and individuals where asked for input before hand. So they got as good they could.
    gabgab wrote: »
    I dont know whether that is bollox or not but I would be very curious to see what the actual test covered etc,

Especially as I have just spent €430 on one :o

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/about-sharp/test-protocols/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Dorsanty

Well if I'm reading it right it covers impact energy absorption measured at various points on the lid (common impact points for accidents). Also it seems to cover torsional force of the lid impacting against a rough surface, i.e. how much twist your neck might experience.

So I'm happy that it's a reasonable test and that you wouldn't be disappointed with a 5 star lid.

Of course don't forget some of those high price lids are down to using lighter materials (not necessarily better). Then there's the custom paint jobs that some have. Most Rossi lids come in at 3 stars by the looks of it, but cost a pretty penny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

It only tested scenarios as if you fell in a certain way
    ALL tests do that! They can't test every possible scenario. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Dorsanty wrote: »
    Of course don't forget some of those high price lids are down to using lighter materials (not necessarily better).

Lighter is better, it reduces the forces on the neck in a crash.

This test appears to be out of step with any others I've seen, so I will be very sceptical of it until other tests back up the conclusions reached. The UK government have a history of 'massaging' safety tests in relation to motorcycles (Google for leg protectors controversy) to suit the conclusions they wanted...

Scrap the cap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭SlabMurphy

murphaph wrote: »
    Hopefully this will finally put a nail in the coffin of the theory that the more you spend on a lid, the safer it is.
    Agreed. I remember reading about tests done by the EU testers and one of the things they found was that some of the cheaper helmets were actually beetter than the expensive ones. Another little thing about lids, in New Zealand in a study on road safety and motorbiking, they found riderss who wore a white helmet had 10% lower collisions with other traffic - easier to see for car drivers propably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Delighted to see the Shark helmets are doing so well (100% designed & built in France)! :D

A bit surprised at how poor the Arai helmets are doing in this particular test... Although it doesn't bother me that much seen as I will never spend crazy amounts of money on a lid because it's "cool"!

Somebody in the business once told me that Arai actually outsourced their "shell building" to Nitro! Did you guys ever hear that?

Advertisement