Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

July 1st Regulation Changes

Options
  • 25-06-2008 11:20am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭

what exactly is the current situation on this? I'm on my third provisional, I've been driving for 3 years, and have my test in a month.
    All I can find seems to be horror stories and misinformation.
    What is the actual legal and practical position now??:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Did you have a look in the sticky?
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055176756

"Persons on their 1st, 3rd and subsequent Provisional Licence/Learner Permit are required to be accompanied at all times"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭Morgans

As you are on a third provisional there should be no change to you regarding the new laws. Sticky says it better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭dreamingoak

I've been on a second provisional and driving for 3 years on my own, just updated to a third provisional, actually the test is in 2 weeks. I'm a 30 something woman, and have a completely clean ( provisional ) licence. surely a guard would be reasonable? any similar experience?

any guards on here? What would you say to someone like me if you stopped me?

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭xeroshero

Ive read the sticky, and re read it and Ive read a million threads on this topic... (have a look OP) ;)

But one thing that I haven't found yet, maybe its obvious but say I get stopped and they slap me with the €1000 fine or whatever fine, can I then drive away? unaccompanied!? I'll be moving away from home soon and will not have anyone to "bail" me out/accompany me, what happens immediately after Im stopped????

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

surely a guard would be reasonable?
    Don't count on it.
    Fines are pretty heavy btw.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

From everything I have read in the national papers and web and comments on this board and others, they are having a zero tolerence crackdown on provo drivers. Maybe there is a bit of scare mongering involved here on if they actually do follow through with this law. I wouldn't be suprised if they make an example of a few motorists on their provo licences driving unaccompanied.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 811 ✭✭✭donhughberto

Like many i am awaiting a test having failed last one but only just. I think it would be good to know what will happen. It can't be one rule for one and another gets off with a warning.

They should document process so everybody knows where they stand. I live in a small town and i know 50% of people are going to drive on and find out when stopped.

This is crazy if its 1,000 euros. Most people i know don't even use L plates on provisionals and never did so hence 2,000 euros if maximum fine applied.

I would be interested in a statement form the guarda on how law will be passed. It should be fair for all. I would like to see what other people think but it is a shambles for people driving. The full license drivers are going to meet delays at checkpoints. Garda are going to have to pull over every car on the road to check.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭raido9

I've been on a second provisional and driving for 3 years on my own, just updated to a third provisional, actually the test is in 2 weeks. I'm a 30 something woman, and have a completely clean ( provisional ) licence. surely a guard would be reasonable? any similar experience?
    If you believe what they're saying, you will be hit with a nasty fine. Your age, driving history, and time driving should not come into it.

The fact that you are one your third provisional and still haven't passed your test indicates your not ready to drive around unaccompanied.

Three years to learn to drive and pass the test! You have no excuse if you get caught.

There was confusion last night about the likely impact of the new regulations on drivers with provisional licences, with the Minister for Transport, Noel Dempsey, appearing to be at odds with the Garda over the implementation of the system. Stephen Collins , Conor Lally and David Labanyi report.

Responding to intense public anger at the planned clampdown, Mr Dempsey said the Garda authorities would take a "proportionate" and "common sense" approach to implementing the regulations for two or three months.

A statement yesterday afternoon from Garda headquarters appeared to contradict Mr Dempsey's assertion, saying gardaí would "fully enforce the laws in relation to this area". The statement added that gardaí would "where appropriate issue a caution/warning, notice or prosecution".

However, reliable senior Garda sources said later yesterday that in reality, gardaí would operate a three-month grace period. "If a driver is stopped and driving alone is the only offence, it will mean a caution," said one source.

In a statement last night, Mr Dempsey attempted to defuse the controversy, but the Opposition parties have accused him of "making an ass of the law". The Minister, in his statement, said that - conscious of the widespread concern among holders of provisional licences that from Tuesday next driving while unaccompanied would lead to prosecution - he had discussed the issue with the Road Safety Authority (RSA) and the Garda authorities.

"The Minister understands that the gardaí will approach each case using discretion and common sense as opposed to automatic prosecution. The Minister believes that sensible Garda enforcement of that type will mean that for an initial period of a few months, Garda efforts in the main will be aimed at cautioning and advising unaccompanied drivers of the new legal requirements."

The statement also said the Insurance Federation had confirmed that the change in law affecting second provisional licence holders did not change their insurance status.

The chairman of the Road Safety Authority Gay Byrne told The Irish Times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

This is crazy if its 1,000 euros. Most people i know don't even use L plates on provisionals and never did so hence 2,000 euros if maximum fine applied.

A pair of L-plates costs a few euro. Much cheaper than paying €1,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭bryanmurr

No offence to any provisional drivers here but has there not been enough of a warning already that this is coming? At the end of this 3 months people will still want more time

actually Raido, I,ve had a provisional for nearly 12 years, but have been in and out of the country over that time. I've been driving perfectly competetly for the last three years, and have not failed a test in this country. I was just following the old way of waiting till I felt completely ready before applying for the test. This way of doing it has caught out a lot of women in the same position as me. The blame lies with the system having been the way it has for so long. Please dont take your vitriol out on me, as you dont know what kind of driver I am.

The blame lies with the system having been the way it has for so long.

Of course. Always with other people. :rolleyes:

TODAYS IRISH TIMES

No plan to crack down on L-drivers

DAVID LABANYI

GARDAÍ HAVE no plans to specifically target unaccompanied learner drivers from next Tuesday.

From midnight on July 1st, the loophole allowing second learner permit holders to drive unaccompanied will close.

From that date, all learner drivers must be accompanied by a driver holding a full-licence for at least two years.

Head of the Garda Traffic Corps assistant commissioner, Eddie Rock, said last night the law on unaccompanied driving “will be enforced in an appropriate and proportional manner”.

No specific checkpoints to target unaccompanied learner motorists were planned, he said. Last October, confusion surrounded the enforcement of what has been to date a lightly policed law. The proposal to close the loophole caused a furore when the Minister of Transport, Noel Dempsey, and the Road Safety Authority (RSA) sought to introduce it within days.

A public outcry saw the deadline extended until July 1st this year to allow 122,000 holders of a second provisional licence apply for a test.

As of the end of May, over 117,000 drivers held a second learner permit, according to the RSA.

The vast majority of these licences were for cars.

Drivers on second learner permits will be legally required to change their travel habits from next week when the loophole closes.

Noel Brett, head of the RSA, said 48,000 learner drivers a month are being tested.

“Of the 122,000 second provisional licence holders as of last October, over 100,000 will have been tested by the end of June,” he said.

He also said that second learner permit holders who have applied for a test have been offered a test date.

The pass rate is 59 per cent and the average waiting time for a test is eight weeks.

“Right now there is no compulsion to pass the test, but we will review it at the end of the year and will talk to the minister about any additional measures required" he said

Stark wrote: »
    Of course. Always with other people. :rolleyes:

O please! Of course I take responsibility for my own decisions! I have applied for the test, It's in two weeks. I was just pointing out that the way the system has been for so long has resulted in a lot of people, especially mums like myself, finding themselves in the same position.
    And also that the situation as it stands is not very clear, with so much chopping and changing.

The situation is as it always has been. If you are driving alone on a 3rd provsional, you are driving illegally, regardless of whether the Gardaí are on the look out for you or not. "Couldn't be arsed" isn't going to earn you sympathy.

no, but, "i've just upgraded to a 3rd and the test is in a couple of weeks" might. According to the Times, Head of the Garda Traffic Corps assistant commissioner, Eddie Rock, said last night the law on unaccompanied driving “will be enforced in an appropriate and proportional manner”.

I think The Gardai will be much harder on young male drivers who statistically kill themselves on provisionals than on the other camp of 30 -40 something mothers, on test lists.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Wile E. Coyote

"i've just upgraded to a 3rd and the test is in a couple of weeks"

Why should this get you any sympathy? We've all known since last October that this was going to happen.

because I applied for the test in october, and It shows that i am doing something about it. The crackdown, I am sure is aimed at people who are trying to avoid the test altogether, and/ or who are reckless drivers

• Advertisement

The clamp down (if there is one) will and should be aimed at everyone on a provisional licence who is driving unaccompanied. And i find it very hard to believe that you applied for a test in October and 8 months later you've heard nothing. The average wait at the minute is about 2 months and anyone on a second provisional (which you would have been on) was given preference on test dates.

I am sure is aimed at people who are trying to avoid the test altogether

People who are trying to avoid the test???? You've been on a provisional for 12 years!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

People who are trying to avoid the test???? You've been on a provisional for 12 years!!!!!

+1 your exactly who this is aimed at - people who have been driving on provisionals for years having never taken a single test. And don't point out that you've got your test coming up, its pretty clear the only reason you applied at all was due to the new laws coming in.

For goodness sake this disgussion on whether I personally am 'looking for sympathy' or ' cant be arsed' is totally off topic. The Thread isnt called, 'hey come kick a provisional liscence holder'.

what I am asking is, what kind of response from the gardai have people in my position had when they were stopped? That is :30 something woman on a 3rd provisional, clean liscence and test booked and immanent.

I diddnt say ive heard nothing. Its on the 9th of July. and Ive been out of the country most of that time. Ive been driving here for 3 years.

No one knows what the response is going to be like until the new law comes into force. I would imagine that it will be heavily enforced for the first few weeks, given loads of media coverage with hard luck stories from people who have been caught and then it will die out.

I would definatly look for someone to drive around with you for a while anyway.

Stark wrote: »
    A pair of L-plates costs a few euro. Much cheaper than paying €1,000.

Aye but some people are too cool to have ugly L plates on cars. I agree but i know a few very close to me who never used them. Question is "how do Gardai spot these types on Law Breakers".

Also how will insurance companys deal with people who drive away. Surely policys are null and void if breaking the law?? Makes people think.

I am all for safer roads but i find people who cause accidents have no trouble passing tests, ie "boy racers" term.

hi don, I read in the times that the insurance federation said theres no effect on peoples insurance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭raido9

actually Raido, I,ve had a provisional for nearly 12 years, but have been in and out of the country over that time. I've been driving perfectly competetly for the last three years, and have not failed a test in this country. I was just following the old way of waiting till I felt completely ready before applying for the test. This way of doing it has caught out a lot of women in the same position as me. The blame lies with the system having been the way it has for so long. Please dont take your vitriol out on me, as you dont know what kind of driver I am.

12 years and you haven't taken the test. A fine is too good for people like you, you should be put off the road.

Your making excuses for yourself now I'm afraid. Just take some responsibility and do the test. You were given 6 months warning this was coming in.

• Advertisement

hi don, I read in the times that the insurance federation said theres no effect on peoples insurance.

That would be one way to make people stop but insurance companys are not stupid I suppose. Interesting to see what happens and what people are going to do about it. I booked two tests but i know its 8 weeks at least. I am still mad at myself for failing first one.

I wish everybody luck and hope to see you all on the roads with full licenses in the future. It does not mean it will be a safer road all the same.

Advertisement