Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

July 1st Regulation Changes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Haven't read the whole thread but having passed my test no less than 6 days before the rule changes I've become sort of a punching bag for people who haven't passed their's and want to complain.

Regarding the 6 month waiting period before you can do your test, I fully support this. You may get into your car the first day you have your permit and drive 100% perfectly for a month so you apply for your test. The problem is you may be a perfect driver but you won't have the experience to react to hazards/emergencies properly and with experience. I always found the basics of driving very easily but when my instructor got out of the car and I tried to drive myself I didn't know what to do. How do I react to that ambulance coming up behind me on a very narrow street? What do I do when that car overtakes me with traffic coming against me? I think that driver behind me is drunk, how do I react?

In short - the 6 month waiting period is, in my opinion, to ensure all drivers applying for their test are confident in dealing with anything other drivers throw at them.

I also support the unaccompanied driver laws being enforced, and not because I've passed my test. If I didn't have my car I'd be lost as my town has no public transport and I work out the country. But you know what? I'd have to manage. The law is the law and every other country manage so why can't we? If you *need* to get to work etc., then you'd find a way. Before anyone asks what exactly they should do cause there's just no possible way for them to get to work, here's an idea - ask people in work if you can get a lift with them. If you have to walk/cycle to a point near/at their house so be it. But wait! Strangely, no one in your employment is able to do this. Well why not go to other businesses nearby and explain your predicament and ask someone there for a lift, offer a few bob for petrol even. Someone is bound to understand the situation. But what now? There's no other places nearby? Bull****. If there are no businesses nearby, walk a bit further to find some. If not get a taxi. If you absolutely have to get to work then you'll absolutely have to find a way.

Waiting lists are definitely shorter. I originally applied in August 07 and got a date in March 08 for Kilkenny. I failed on the 18th March and reapplied immediately. I got notification of a date within 2 weeks and had my test on the 24th June.

I'm sick of people complaining that they won't be able to survive without a car. You will. Where there's a will there's a way. Try being positive and thinking up a new solution instead of complaining the whole time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

ergonomics wrote: »
    Haven't read the whole thread but having passed my test no less than 6 days before the rule changes I've become sort of a punching bag for people who haven't passed their's and want to complain.

same here and what I find funny is that all my friends still on provisionals have been driving alot longer then me and two of them have managed not to have a single test even thou they are on their 3rd license.

In short - the 6 month waiting period is, in my opinion, to ensure all drivers applying for their test are confident in dealing with anything other drivers throw at them.

I support this too as I feel in the 7 months I was driving and waiting for my first test not only did I feel I built my confidence driving on the roads but I also drove in ever weather condition and at all hours of the day which I don't think you'll expirence learning to drive in less then two months. While you usually get tested during daylight hours its not all about passing your test but being a safe driver and I know a few people who passed their tests who'd never driven at night, might have read about when and where to have dipped headlights but out on dark country roads they hadn't a clue.

I also support the unaccompanied driver laws being enforced, and not because I've passed my test. If I didn't have my car I'd be lost as my town has no public transport and I work out the country. But you know what? I'd have to manage. The law is the law and every other country manage so why can't we? If you *need* to get to work etc., then you'd find a way. Before anyone asks what exactly they should do cause there's just no possible way for them to get to work, here's an idea - ask people in work if you can get a lift with them. If you have to walk/cycle to a point near/at their house so be it. But wait! Strangely, no one in your employment is able to do this. Well why not go to other businesses nearby and explain your predicament and ask someone there for a lift, offer a few bob for petrol even. Someone is bound to understand the situation. But what now? There's no other places nearby? Bull****. If there are no businesses nearby, walk a bit further to find some. If not get a taxi. If you absolutely have to get to work then you'll absolutely have to find a way.

I live in Kilkenny [thou away for the summer] as well but was actually living in Thurles [45 mins from kilkenny by car but nearly two hours by bus that only goes once a day] when I first started working here and for two months I had to get to and from work with no car and I managed. People moaning on about not being allowed to drive on their own, what about the people who can't afford a car who still manage to make it to work?

Waiting lists are definitely shorter. I originally applied in August 07 and got a date in March 08 for Kilkenny. I failed on the 18th March and reapplied immediately. I got notification of a date within 2 weeks and had my test on the 24th June.

Again same here - applied in August 07 got a test for february, failed, got a test for march which was canceled due to tester illness, got a test date for two months later which was no good as I was going to new york till end of august so I got on the phone and rang and rang and rang till someone picked up and then yelled [but in a nice way] till I got a test for the following week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Clarice

I agree with the new law, on my first provisional I never ever drove alone. It's about time they enforced the law instead of letting it sit there. I am on my second provisional now but was unsuccessful in my recent test. I've reapplied but am waiting on a cancelation.

HOWEVER I do think it's a bit unfair to give second provisional holders one chance and one chance only to pass their test before putting them off the road. People on their third / fourth / fifth licence knew this day was always coming and had their chance to legally practice alone. I've always obeyed the law, I've done lessons and pre tests - all the things I should be doing. I was unsucessful in my test and am now off the road as a result.

Paying for the bus and the long walk to and from it isn't what I'm annoyed about. It's paying for the car / tax / insurance when it's going to sit outside my house day in day out apart from when I fork out €40 to have the pleasure of an accompanying driver while I practice what I already know. THAT's what's getting me. I don't want them to change the law. I just think it's a bit rich to say we've all had a chance to pass and tough **** if you didn't get it first time. I'd do a test this afternoon if I could - but sadly it's all in the hands of the RSA. I wonder how much overtime the testers are making with this back log? And as for driving instructors, don't get me started. They must be minted at this stage. Anyway, it's still cheaper than a €2K fine so that car may just sit there!!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Clarice wrote:
    HOWEVER I do think it's a bit unfair to give second provisional holders one chance and one chance only to pass their test before putting them off the road. People on their third / fourth / fifth licence knew this day was always coming and had their chance to legally practice alone.

They gave about 9 months worth of warning and reduced average waiting times to 8 weeks. It's plenty fair.
    Clarice wrote:
    It's paying for the car / tax / insurance when it's going to sit outside my house day in day out apart from when I fork out €40 to have the pleasure of an accompanying driver while I practice what I already know. THAT's what's getting me.

Who says you have to pay out for car/tax/insurance? Driving instructors have their own cars for you to do lessons in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭JP Liz

New laws clamping down on provisional licence-holders are due to come into force at midnight tonight.

From tomorrow, all learner drivers will have to be accompanied by an experienced driver who has held a full licence for at least two years.

Almost 336,000 people in Ireland have provisional driving licences and around one third of those are waiting to sit a driving test.

Speaking over the weekend, Communications Minister Eamon Ryan said he was confident the Gardaí would be able to enforce the changes effectively.

Starts tomorrow

• Advertisement

Stark wrote: »
    They gave about 9 months worth of warning and reduced average waiting times to 8 weeks. It's plenty fair..

Maybe where you live. I'd applied for Wicklow before they announced they were changing the second provisional law, I sat one test (the only one that I was offered) which I failed. I reapplied the same day and am still waiting on a date.
    Stark wrote: »
    Who says you have to pay out for car/tax/insurance? Driving instructors have their own cars for you to do lessons in.

I'm hardly going to sell my car, what if I get a cancelation next week and pass?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Rent it out to a friend/family member in the meantime or cancel the insurance and claim a tax refund by telling the Gardaí that the car is off the road. It's not the RSA's job to deal with the practicalities of car ownership.

All I'm saying is that I wish they would take their feather boa's and tu-tu's off and quit prancing around saying that the waiting lists are tiny when they clearly aren't. Some people actually *are* trying to get this thing nailed. The RSA make out that everyone is hiding from the test, which just isn't true for a lot of people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭Morgans

ztoical wrote: »
    I support this too as I feel in the 7 months I was driving and waiting for my first test not only did I feel I built my confidence driving on the roads but I also drove in ever weather condition and at all hours of the day which I don't think you'll expirence learning to drive in less then two months. While you usually get tested during daylight hours its not all about passing your test but being a safe driver and I know a few people who passed their tests who'd never driven at night, might have read about when and where to have dipped headlights but out on dark country roads they hadn't a clue.

I hope you were lucky enough to be accompanied with you were gaining this valuable experience.

At €40 an hour, as Clarice points out, gaining that experience from now on will be an expensive business. Shame I cant get into the driver instruction lark just yet!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 belgo27

For work reasons a clarification was sought from local Guards about this. Official line seems to be that a "common sense" approach will be taken initially. By that I understand that someone driving alone who has a test date letter with them will probably be left be, at least for now.

A failure to properly police and enforce this law in the longer term though has got to be out of teh question, we'd be a laughing stock.

And as for the smart lads bragging about thier law breaking - I know someone in exactly the same situation who has just been landed with a €2k fine. You can be waved through as many checkpoints as you like, it only takes one guard to decide enough is enough so good luck with that.

On my second provisional, test scheduled for the 10th of july. Would only be using my car getting to work at 730 at night or golf at 8 in the morning. What do you think. Should I chance it or do what my mind is telling me and leave it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

belgo27 wrote: »
    On my second provisional, test scheduled for the 10th of july. Would only be using my car getting to work at 730 at night or golf at 8 in the morning. What do you think. Should I chance it or do what my mind is telling me and leave it

I would hate to see you landed with a €1000+ fine just 10 days from your test. I would leave it for the time being. Best of luck with your test.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,810 ✭✭✭ergonomics

Morgans wrote: »
    I hope you were lucky enough to be accompanied with you were gaining this valuable experience.

At €40 an hour, as Clarice points out, gaining that experience from now on will be an expensive business. Shame I cant get into the driver instruction lark just yet!

I spent 18 months getting experience from driving lessons and lessons alone. I only started driving on my own 6 months ago when I got my car. I'm a college student and only work weekends. When you want something bad enough you figure out how to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭quinevere

Passed my test today unsure where i stand from a legal point of view can i drive or do i have to wait till my full licence arrives ????

quinevere wrote: »
    Passed my test today unsure where i stand from a legal point of view can i drive or do i have to wait till my full licence arrives ????

You can drive, just have your permit and cert of competency with you. When you apply for your license you can make a photocopy of your permit to have with you in your car while your waiting on your license, and keep the receipt you will get in the motor tax office.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭quinevere

thanks appreciate input

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

You can drive, just have your permit and cert of competency with you. When you apply for your license you can make a photocopy of your permit to have with you in your car while your waiting on your license, and keep the receipt you will get in the motor tax office.

I'm open to correction on this but afaik it's only when you have applied for the license and paid the fee is when your license starts. Now the Guard would want to be a <SNIP> to do you for it but it could happen

The certificate of competency only allows you to apply for a license

Onkle wrote: »
    I'm open to correction on this but afaik it's only when you have applied for the license and paid the fee is when your license starts. Now the Guard would want to be a right bollox to do you for it but it could happen

The certificate of competency only allows you to apply for a license

Now i'm unsure of myself:o. Upon passing my test i was told by the Examiner that i was now allowed to drive unaccompanied but was not allowed to drive on the Motorway. Now at the time i took his word for it, as of all people i would expect the examiners to know, i am open to correction on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Gary ITR

It'd be like when you pass your theory test I presume. Until you actually have the receipt in your hand you can't drive

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭ztoical

Clarice wrote: »

HOWEVER I do think it's a bit unfair to give second provisional holders one chance and one chance only to pass their test before putting them off the road.

since October I've sat the test twice -failed one and past the second so its not one chance only, a friend of mine has taken the test 3 times since october [and failed all three times] The way they were bringing the laws in in October was unfair as it was a bank holiday weekend and people were being given only a few days notice but they've had what 8 months to get ready now.

And they are hardly being "put off the road", they are simply expected to follow the same rules as all other learner drivers now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,636 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Passed my test today and the examiner told me I was still bound by provisional licence laws until I had my full licence. That's the only way that makes sense to me, I strongly doubt that there's an exception in the law that says anything along the lines of "a photocopy of a certificate of competency can be accepted as proof...". Having said that, if you did have a copy with you, it would be a meticulous cop that actually did you for it

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement

28064212 wrote: »
    Passed my test today and the examiner told me I was still bound by provisional licence laws until I had my full licence. That's the only way that makes sense to me, I strongly doubt that there's an exception in the law that says anything along the lines of "a photocopy of a certificate of competency can be accepted as proof...". Having said that, if you did have a copy with you, it would be a meticulous cop that actually did you for it

Hang on, i never said a photocopy of your cert. I said when you apply for your license in the motor tax office you get a receipt, which accompanied with photo id (ie a photocopy of your learner permit) will suffice as a license until you get your full license in the post. Well at least that was exactly what i was told when handing in my full license application.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭dreamingoak

Wow this starting this thread was really opening a can of worms! loads of disgussion! For all those who were giving it socks last week, i passed my test this morning. I'm delighted! The tester, Gavin, who was lovely, said that the cert he gave me was valid for two years, but that i'd be better off sending off for the full licence straight away. also to keep the l plates up in the mean time and keep both cert and licence with me in the mean time.
    When I had to send off my licence to get my third provisional the tax office gave me a letter to keep with me in the meantime, which they said would be acceptable if I was stopped. I was stopped and the Guard didnt blink an eye when I handed him the letter.
    So I'm thinking the same again will be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Zari

Hi, can anyone tell me how I would apply for driving test in Baldoyle as the PDF form on the dept of transport website doesn't list this test centre. Appreciate any info on it. Thanks :rolleyes:

Zari wrote: »
    Hi, can anyone tell me how I would apply for driving test in Baldoyle as the PDF form on the dept of transport website doesn't list this test centre. Appreciate any info on it. Thanks :rolleyes:

Baldoyle is a sgs test centre, you cannot apply directly to sgs centres, you must apply to a rsa centre. RSA may then decide to forward on your test application to SGS.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,190 ✭✭✭techdiver

Zari wrote: »

The RSA only lists details on their own centres on the site. Further proof of pie in the sky statistics!

Baldoyle being an SGS centre is not listed. You will need to select the nearest centre to Balldoyle and maybe leave a comment to that effect on the application.

Best of luck.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Zari

Thats great Techdiver, thanks for that:D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

techdiver wrote: »
    The RSA only lists details on their own centres on the site. Further proof of pie in the sky statistics!
    The statistics for the RSA centres incorporate the statistics of any SGS centre linked to that RSA centre.
    techdriver wrote:
    You will need to select the nearest centre to Balldoyle and maybe leave a comment to that effect on the application
    The candidates selected to go to SGS are done at random unless under exceptional circumstances (which would no longer apply after 30th June). Requesting an SGS centre on an application shouldn't make any difference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 layla13

I'm doing my test in the end of July in SGS Airside. Has anyone done their test in this centre??

:):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Peadar85

I passed my test last Monday and went straight to my tax office and applied for my full licence. I had to surrender my provisional licence as well as my certificate of competency so all I have to show a copper now is a receipt of the cost of my licence. SURELY I couldn't be done for this. I'm a fully qualified driver but it's not my fault that the tax office doesn't produce my licence for me while I wait. Sure when a full licence holder is asked for the their licence at a checkpoint when they don't have it with them, don't they get 10 days or so to produce it at their local garda station?

• Advertisement

You have applied for your license so your receipt will cover you while you wait for your full license. It could be a good idea to carry another form of id with your receipt in the car with you.

Advertisement