Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

July 1st Regulation Changes

Options
123457»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Peadar85

in hindsight I probably should have made a copy of the competency certificate but with the initial excitement/relief of passing, I wasn't thinking very clearly! plus the person processing my application didn't offer to make a copy. Yea I think carrying ID is also a good idea

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Peadar85 wrote: »
    in hindsight I probably should have made a copy of the competency certificate but with the initial excitement/relief of passing, I wasn't thinking very clearly! plus the person processing my application didn't offer to make a copy. Yea I think carrying ID is also a good idea

Ah no you're alright, making a copy of the cert wouldn't have helped really, so long as you have you receipt and some ID you'll be fine.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Ian38HR

Just curious, how would be a holder of an international license fair with this new ruling? I have a full license exam due on Sept 08, but I'm a holder of an International License from my country of origin and will be effective for one year from July 08 - does it mean I can drive around without a L Plate because I have this license - which includes Ireland for accreditation? My friend had his Intl license checked in the Motor Office and The Citizenship Ofc and the people said there that its accepted like a full license.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

Ian38HR wrote: »
    Just curious, how would be a holder of an international license fair with this new ruling? I have a full license exam due on Sept 08, but I'm a holder of an International License from my country of origin and will be effective for one year from July 08 - does it mean I can drive around without a L Plate because I have this license - which includes Ireland for accreditation? My friend had his Intl license checked in the Motor Office and The Citizenship Ofc and the people said there that its accepted like a full license.
    An international licence is not a licence per se, it is simply a translation of your own countries licence. So you are not talking about driving on an International licence, but driving on your own non-EU licence.

Your current non-EU full licence is valid for one year from the moment you take residence in this country.

If you are here longer than that, then you are no longer legally entitled to drive here except on a Irish provisional licence or permit (and requirement of being accompanied), or on a full EU or Irish licence.

If you are currently insured on your non-EU licence and your insurance company is unaware of your status, you could potentialy find yourself without insurance in the event of an accident. That is up to the company in question and you would have to ask them.

What somebody said in a motor tax office or citizens advice is irrelevent if they dont know all your details, and aren't familiar with the regulations.

For further information or clarification, you should ring the Driving licence office in the Customs House. They will likely tell you exactly what I've just said.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭RICARDO1982

Hi i was wondering do people think gardai are enforcing the law that provisional licence holders must have a fully licenced driver with them at all times?

I live in Dublin and my girlfriend Leaves the car at home while she walks 3
    miles to work and 3 miles back
    Judging the fine weather we are having is she mad to be getting drenched
    most days or right?

Its a waste the car sitting there.
    She does intend to go fo her test in the next 6 to 8 months.

What do you guys think??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Thread merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭Stark

What do you guys think??

Why would she wait 6 to 8 months if being without the car is such an inconvenience to her?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,365 ✭✭✭Morgans

Hi i was wondering do people think gardai are enforcing the law that provisional licence holders must have a fully licenced driver with them at all times?

I live in Dublin and my girlfriend Leaves the car at home while she walks 3
    miles to work and 3 miles back
    Judging the fine weather we are having is she mad to be getting drenched
    most days or right?

What do you guys think??

If she does decide to take the risk, there is no point whining if she gets caught. She knows that she is breaking the law and liable to be fined. That is yours/her decision.

Whether she would get caught is a different matter. That is where luck comes into it. And again, if a guard stops her in her 6 mile trip, its only luck would prevent her from getting a fine if caught.

Not sure why she is planning to do the test in 6-8 months time. If the reason is that she isnt ready to at least take the test now, there is definitely an solid argument that she shouldnt be driving to work unaccompanied.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

28064212 wrote: »
    Passed my test today and the examiner told me I was still bound by provisional licence laws until I had my full licence. That's the only way that makes sense to me, I strongly doubt that there's an exception in the law that says anything along the lines of "a photocopy of a certificate of competency can be accepted as proof...". Having said that, if you did have a copy with you, it would be a meticulous cop that actually did you for it

The only thing i was told when i passed was that i had two years to apply for my full licence.

He never said anything to me about bound to provisional licencing laws. I must get my finger out and apply for the licence so

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

weel, i have to wait for payday on monday

Stark wrote: »
    Why would she wait 6 to 8 months
    Morgans wrote: »
    Not sure why she is planning to do the test in 6-8 months time
    Perhaps she is on a 1st Learner Permit and therefore the 6 month rule would apply?
    +1
    irishbird wrote: »
    i have to wait for payday on monday
    :eek: I'd be seriously worried about any motorist who has to wait until payday to come up with €25! What happens if you get a blow-out tomorrow and need a new tyre - walk until payday?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭fl4pj4ck

What happens if you get a blow-out tomorrow and need a new tyre - walk until payday?

this is none of your business, and yes - believe me there are people in this world which would do that

fl4pj4ck wrote: »
    this is none of your business
    Please feel free to move along.......

The question was directed at irishbird!

Advertisement