Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greatest Respect for Wheelchair users

Options
  • 25-06-2008 12:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 497 ✭✭

Story goes that 3 weeks ago I broke my ankle, Borrowed a wheelchair in order to get around the house and get out an about on weekends as I cannot hobble to far on the crutches and I am alone all day in the house kids at school and hubby at work, the wheelchair is very handy to carry stuff, tea food etc from kitchen to living room.
    Anyway I was out with my mum and some aunts for lunch on Monday brought the wheelchair because they wanted to do some shopping in the center as well. They picked the eatery and I was first in the Q and asked for a table for 5, the waitress looked and me then walked passed me and advised in a whispered voice to my mum that the "wheelchair table" was being used I piped up that I could use a reg table as It was just my leg that was broke and not my head.
    I have the greatest respect for any wheelchair users who are ignored, passed over or spoken to in a pityful voice just because they are sitting down.
    I thankfully will be no longer be needing one in 3 weeks time when I get the cast removed.
    But please show respect for those who do!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

*applause*

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭CtrlSource

Musha wrote: »
    ... the waitress looked and me then walked passed me and advised in a whispered voice to my mum that the "wheelchair table" was being used

"Wheelchair table" - LMAO! i wonder did they have a special menu for the poor wee crathurs as well ;)

In my experience, Ireland has come a long way in treating wheelchair users more like other humans in the past few years. There's an awful long way to go however, before we enjoy parity of esteem from some members of our 'enlightened society'.

The kind of attitude displayed by the waitress probably came out of basic ignorance, rather than an intention to offend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭soccerc

It's the "Does he take sugar?" syndrome.

We get this all the time and have come across similar situations, one where the "manager" of a restaurant told us he would not be insured if we were on his premises and that he had to refuse us entry as he had other reservations to fulfil.

Apart from the physical obstructions that a wheelchair user has to negotiate you'd be surprised at the total lack of common sense and stupidity that exists amongst, not all mind, the general able bodied.

Agreed. Best way to bring them to their senses it to show them different and speak up for ourselves ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

We get this all the time and have come across similar situations, one where the "manager" of a restaurant told us he would not be insured if we were on his premises
    I'd be sorely tempted to ask him for details of his insurance company so that I could bring them up to date on the Equal Status Acts, and watch him squirm...

• Advertisement

As far as i know, they have the right to refuse your admission at the point of entry. If the refusal is on the grounds of mobility, they must first establish that they have given you reasonable consideration and have no means of accomodating you safely in their premises.

If you actually get in the door and then they start to pull the insurance sh1t on you, it would be worth passing on the details to the Equality Authority for their opinion

Advertisement