Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Bit of advice - High mileage

Options
  • 25-06-2008 12:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭

Lads,

I've been on the lookout for a cheap van for the last while. I was offered one last night for about €700. It's a '00 Peugeot Expert 1.9 diesel. Thing is, it has 180,000 miles. Now, I know where it has came from (company vehicle) and the guy I am buying it from is completly honest.

Am I mad buying a van with that mileage? I reckon I will do circa 10,000 miles per year, but wouldn't need it for more than 2 years.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Have it checked out by a mechanic. Ask when the timing belt was last changed too as this could cost a fair amount of the asking price of the van to change, also a good negotiating point on the price.

Also check when the DOE cert is valid for (commercial equivalant of the NCT) as this has to be renewed once a year as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Dermo123

The milage would be ok if routine maintenance was carried out. How does it drive? If it will need a clutch, timing belt, wheel bearings, exhaust, tyres to mention but a few items you could easily add €1000 to your €700 within a year. All depends on when those items like I montion above were done last and what kind of use it got. If you can get two years out of it and kept your spend to regular service items then it would be a bargain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Mileage should not make any difference if it has a genuine service record and a relatively fresh DOE.

You could buy a Toyota Hiace or low roof Ford Transit from certain people with only 70k genuine up on the clock and these may have never seen a service in their lifetime and be in a mechanically worse state than something triple that mileage. Also many lower mileage vans could well be docked, IE a back street recalibration service offered for around e150 to e300 pending on model.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭afatbollix

just bought a van with 250,000 on teh clock... i need it every once and a while for bringing stuff around so wont be even using it that much.... but its grand... its also a peugeot

• Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

For €700 I wouldn't think twice before buying it. If it could do 180k surely it can do another 20k over 2 years? Even if you have to spend a few bob on it, so what? Depreciate the entire cost over 2 years and it still works out at next to nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭s14driftking

for that price u cant really go wrong if the engine is mechanically safe in it i ought my 98 avensis a yr and a half ago wit the same mileage and theres currently about 245000 odd miles on it and all ive had a do wit it is general up keep tyres brakes service and a starter
    the diesels that there making nowadays will put up big mileage if given regular serviing and maintenace personally id go for it

Advertisement