Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indian food - potatoes?

• 25-06-2008 12:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Last night I tried making my own curry (madras) from scratch and I must say it was delicious! The thing is as I was cooking for myself, I have half a tin of chopped tomatoes and a half a jar of tomato puree left over. I was thinking of keeping with the indian theme for this evenings dinner to use them up, but would obviously like something different to what I had last night.

I know I've had Indian dishes before that involved a lot of diced potato in them and they were very nice. I know that there's a particular word for potatoes in Indian cusine and I can't form the life of me think of what it is so I can search for a recipe.

If you can think of the word, or any good recipe to include the tomatoes, chicken, potatoes etc that would be great!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Aloo is the word I think you're looking for.

IIRC:
    Saag aloo = spinach and potatoes
    Vindaloo = lit. "with potatoes" (offering no clue as to the other, membrane-removing ingredients that particular curry contains)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Tinytony

Ya, thats it alright. The name aloo chatt rings a bell with me now.
    Sound lads.

Must see can i come up with some sort of amazing dinner now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

Bombay aloo, hmmmmmmm *salivates*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You can get powders
    BombayPots156x172.jpg

I just sprinkle wedges with curry powder and oil and roast.

• Advertisement
Advertisement